Spine plays a vital role in your body’s flexibility and strength. It consists of muscles, ligaments, nerves, joints, and interconnecting bones. Despite being well-engineered, the spine is prone to injury or pain. For instance, you can often experience lower back pain. It can make the lower spine stiff and cause discomfort.
That being said, some exercises for lower back pain can help relieve it. Whether your pain is chronic or not, you can perform them without any concern. On average, you must consider doing 3 exercises for lower back pain to get desired results. Here are some effective lower back exercises for pain relief:
1. Child’s Pose
For relieving lower back pain, there is no better workout at home than a child’s pose. Most experts consider it as one of the leading lower back pain exercises at home as it stretches the key areas of the spine.
In addition, a child’s pose is also one of those exercises for lower back pain that improves blood circulation and flexibility. Unlike other complicated extension exercises for low back pain, this one is a lot simpler.
How to do it?
- Position your knees and hands on the ground. Move your hips backwards to rest them on the heels.
- Shift your body weight on your thighs to raise your hip.
- Walk your hands with the palms facing up in the forward direction as far as you can to move your hips and return to the initial position.
- Take a deep breath and relax.
- Try holding this lower body workout for a minute.
2. Knee-To-Chest Stretch
Knee-to-chest-stretch is a useful low back pain physical exercise for those who do not have osteoporosis. It is one of the best exercises for lower back pain that also strengthens lower back muscles.
Though a passive stretch, you can add it with the exercises for lower back pain that promote natural chain reaction and benefits the spinal flexion. Like other lower back pain exercises at home, it also relieves tension in the lower back.
How to do it?
- Lie down on your back and adjust both feet in a flat position and bend the knees.
- Hold the knee using both hands and bring it close to the chest.
- Maintain this position for 5 seconds.
- Return to the initial position and repeat with the other leg.
3. Piriformis Stretch
Piriformis syndrome affects the piriformis muscle and causes acute pain in sciatica. As one of the effective exercises for lower back pain, piriformis stretch relieves this condition by alleviating the pain in the sciatical region. This workout has a special significance among effective lower back pain exercises for men. It reduces the tightness in the lower back as well as buttocks.
Generally, left side lower back pain exercises needs some sort of support. Putting your head on a cushion will help you get used to piriformis stretch. Follow the steps below to do this exercise to reduce lower back pain.
How to do it?
- Bend both knees and lie on the back.
- Now, focus on the lowest part of your left thigh. Rest your right ankle against it.
- Next, put your hands on the floor.
- Now, position your left thigh just below the right knee and raise the right knee slightly upwards.
- Place your left hand on the lower part of the left hamstring and pull the right thigh close to the chest until you experience a stretch.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds.
- Repeat the above steps for the right thigh to benefit from this exercise to reduce lower back pain.
4. Seated Spinal Twist
This is a classic twist that stretches the back, hips, and glutes; making it one of the best exercises for lower back pain.
Normally, stretching exercises for lower back pain target the neck, shoulders, and abdominals. Seated spinal twist not only stimulates these parts of the body but also the internal organs. Through a twist, it promotes mobility and also provides results like the extension exercises for low back pain.
How to do it?
- Position your body in a seating position on the floor, with feet extended forward.
- Bend the left knee to place your left foot next to your right thigh. Place the foot externally.
- Put the left hand on the floor and the right hand next to the left thigh.
- Twist and turn to the left side by gently twisting the spine.
- Hold the position for a minute and repeat with another side.
5. Pelvic Tilt
One of the proven lower back pain exercises for men, pelvic tilt firms up the abdominal muscles. Plus, as an exercise to cure lower back pain, it also provides a good workout by stretching the lower back muscles.
The fact that pelvic tilting exercises improve the arrangement of the lumbar spine makes it one of the top 3 exercises for lower back pain. In many ways, its steps resemble that of the other lower back exercises for pain relief like glute bridge.
How to do it?
- To do this low back pain physical exercise, adjust the position of the body, especially your feet, in a way that it remains flat on the floor.
- Bend your knees and flatten your back.
- Try to hold the position for about ten seconds and release your breath.
Cat-Cow occupies a special place of importance among upper back pain exercises. It enhances the balance and posture of the body. Other than releasing the tension of the neck and the upper back, it also acts as an effective exercise to cure lower back pain.
Just like other stretching exercises for lower back pain, you also need to follow a few simple steps to perform this workout.
How to do it?
- Place your feet, hands, and knees in a tabletop position.
- Transfer the bodyweight to your hands and feet. Look up as you inhale.
- To exhale, raise the spine slightly as you look down and bring the head slightly inwards. As is the case with most exercises for lower back pain, this posture will stretch the neck and the shoulders.
- Repeat these steps for 1-2 minutes.
Performing the above exercises for lower back pain provides relief from lower back pain in a few weeks. But you must do these lower left back pain exercises for the desired results. Though it can be a bit tricky to cope with some left side lower back pain exercises, practice and the right technique can prove beneficial. If necessary, do not hesitate to reach out to experts for assistance.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Balayam | Bakasana | Jnana Yoga | Chakrasana | Naukasana | Vakrasana | Siddhasana | Kurmasana | Gomukhasana | Parsvottanasana | Salabhasana | Mayurasana | Astavakrasana | Anantasana | Kukkutasana | Uttanpadasana | Purvottanasana | Kukkutasana | Karnapidasana | Padahastasana | Mandukasana | Karnapidasana | Garudasana | Parvatasana | Yoni Mudra | Vayu Mudra | Ashwini Mudra | Surya Mudra | Prana Mudra | Prithvi Mudra | Khechari Mudra | Supta Vajrasana | Baddha Padmasana | Shanmukhi Mudra | Yoga Mudrasana | Shambhavi Mudra | Akarna Dhanurasana
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Top Search Terms For Fitness