The modern lifestyle has pushed society towards various health problems. Bad eating habits, sitting or sleeping in the wrong position, and overthinking has led us to serious problems like high blood pressure (BP) and various heart disease. Thankfully, we have various yoga asanas for the rescue. One such yoga asana that helps especially in the case of high BP and heart disease is Apan Vayu mudra.Although the internet has now resurrected Yoga, Apan Vayu mudra is still less talked about. You can find guides on surya namaskar, meditation, and even weight loss yoga. But you will rarely find a thorough guide on Apan Vayu. Filling that gap, we have prepared this A-to-Z guide for you. If you or someone you care about is suffering from high BP or heart disease, this guide is a must-read for you. But even if you are healthy, you can learn to do this yoga to stay fit in the long run. Read on!
What is Apan Vayu Mudra?
Apan Vayu mudra is a mudra with therapeutic effects that helps especially in all kinds of heart-related diseases. Yoga gurus and teachers have started teaching this yoga extensively since the number of heart-related patients is growing. Apan Mudra is also called Mrit-Sanjeevni Mudra due to its ability to snatch back a person from diseases like a heart attack.Apan Vayu mudra uses the science of energy connection of your fingers. It is assumed that our fingers have various energies. The thumb has the energy of fire, the index finger has the energy of air, and so on. Heart-related diseases are caused by a disbalance in your elements of fire, air, and earth. When you use the gestures of your thumb and finger in the Apan Vayu, your elements start getting balanced.
How to Do Apana Vayu Mudra?
At first glance, Apan Vayu mudra looks somewhat similar to Shunya Mudra. It involves the use of your thumb, index finger, middle finger, and ring finger. It is so easy to perform that people who know how to do kids yoga can also perform it. Here you can do Apan Vayu mudra step by step:
- Take a yoga mat and sit on it comfortably, maintaining your balance.
- Take a few deep breaths with your eyes closed. Deep breaths will help you in regulating the prana flow to both your mind and the heart. It will also help you in relaxation.
- This will be your sitting posture for the Apan Vayu mudra.
- Join the tip of your thumb with the top of your ring finger and your index finger.
- Extend your little finger (also called the pinky finger) as much as you can.
- Do this arrangement of fingers with both hands.
- Place your hands on upper thighs with the same fingers arrangement.
- If you want to concentrate better, you can close your eyes and start chanting Om. It is very helpful in feeling the Chitta. It is an optional step. You can do Apan Vayu mudra with open eyes.
- Try to create a vacuum of thoughts, remove any idea or thought that is going on in your mind.
- Focus and your breaths and try to relax.
Duration and Timings
It is considered that the best time to perform Apan Vayu mudra is between 4 am to 6 am. In this time, your mind stays fresh and devoid of bad thoughts which is desired for practicing any kind of yoga. Along with that, the noise in the surrounding is also very minimal during this time. A quiet environment will facilitate meditations and focus.To get desired results, practice Apan mudra for at least 30 minutes a day. It is necessary to do it in one session. You can do 3 sessions of ten minutes each or 2 sessions of 15 minutes each.
Benefits of Apan Vayu Mudra
It is the Apan Vayu mudra benefits that have made its resurrection possible. Its other name Mrit-Sanjeevni Mudra also tells about its importance to health. Here is a list of the most important Apan Mudra benefits:
- Treats Arteries Shrinking and Blockage: When your body is filled with the excessive air element, your start to develop arteriosclerosis. This is a condition in which the walls of your arteries start to thicken and become hard. Apan Vayu mudra can help in balancing the air element and treating the shrinking of arteries. It can also clear any types of blockage of the arteries. This leads to the cure of irregular BP, chest pain, and other heart conditions.
- Reduces the Effects of Heart Attacks on Body: In an emergency condition when you are a experiencing heart attack, this mudra can give you relief even quicker than some medicines. It can lower down the damage caused by a heart attack on the human body and can give some time to reach the hospital safely. Not only post-heart-attack, but the mudra can also help in the prevention of it.
- Treats Anxiety and Nervousness: A lesser-known fact about this is that you can do Apan Vayu mudra for anxiety. It is assumed that the human nervous system consists of two elements: the Earth element and the Ether element. Anxiety and nervousness are affected by an imbalance in your nervous system. Yoga experts suggest doing Apan Vayu mudra for anxiety as it can balance the elements of the nervous system.
- Improves Digestion: When air elements increase in your body, the fire of your digestive stops working properly. You can do Apan mudra for digestion as it reduces the air elements and hence makes way for the digestive fire to work properly. Bloating and gastric eructation is also caused by the excess of air element in the body. Hence, you should do Apan mudra for digestion that takes a holistic approach to your gastric health. Once you improve your digestion, you can then enjoy all of your healthy recipes.
- Improves Lungs functioning: It is yet another lesser-known benefit among all the benefits of Apan Vayu mudra. If you experience difficulty while you run or climb the stairs, the mudra can help in you treating that. It helps in treating these problems by improving your lungs functioning. From the lungs to the heart, the mudra can solve all problems related to a bad lifestyle.
Dos and Don'ts
Here is a list of certain Dos and Don'ts that you should keep in mind while doing Apan Vayu mudra: Remove watch, bracelet, or any other kind of wearable. It is best to keep yourself as light as possible while doing the mudra.
- Try to wear loose clothes so that you stay comfortable while practicing the mudra.
- Don't force the fingers too much. Just join their tips gently.
- It is always best to choose a quiet place for doing Apan Vayu mudra. Noisy places can cause distractions.
- Do the Apan Vayu mudra moderately if you are posing kapha constitution.
Apan Vayu mudra is like a boon to people who are suffering from heart-related diseases. This yoga pose is easy to perform and has no prerequisites. And even if you are not suffering from any medical condition, Apan Vayu mudra will still help you in maintaining your health and keeping potential health problems at bay.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Sambhavi Mudra | Nidra Yoga Benefits | Agni Mudra | Bhujangasana Pose | Crocodile Pose | Yoga for Blood Circulation in Brain | Chaturanga Dandasana Benefits | Kechari Mudra | Parvatasana Steps and Benefits | Vakrasana Steps | Apan Vayu | Yoga for Anger | Halasana Asana | Mayurasana Information | Learn Kriya Yoga | Yoni Mudra for Fertility | Hair Growth Yoga Mudra |Bakasana Meaning | Uttanasana Meaning | Diamond Pose Benefits | Easy Mantra | Yin Postures | 10 Pranayama |
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Deadlift Sumo | Hrithik Roshan Bodybuilding | Walking Lunges Exercise | How to Do Skipping for Height | Dumbbells Workout at Home for Beginners | Windshield Wipers Workout | How To Do Air Squats | Benefits of Doing Side Plank | Chiseled Chest Workout | Dragon Flag Benefits | How to Exercise Creativity |Standing Dumbbell Kickbacks | Box Jumps at Home |
Search Terms For Fitness
Mudrasana Yoga | 10 Prana Vayus | Balasana Meaning | Ashwini Mudra How to Do | Mudra for Large Intestine | Benefits of Uttana Mandukasana | Best Mudra for High Blood Pressure | Superman Pose Yoga Benefits | Advantages of Vipassana Meditation | The Scorpion Pose | Padmasana for Beginners | Archer Push up Muscles Worked | Padahastasana Definition | Is Gomukhasana Meditative Asana | Side Effects of Balayam