The power of yoga is usually hidden in various mudras and yoga asanas. You may have heard of mudras such as Vayu Mudra, Surya Mudra, Gyan Mudra, and so on. These mudras are connected to the various elements of our body. One such mudra is Khechari Mudra. Known as the king of all mudras, Khechari Mudra yoga is said to release the elixir of life. It is performed by the experts to gain peace and allow the awakening of the Kundalini Shakti energy. If you are planning to perform this, this article contains everything you need to know about Khechari Mudra. From its meaning to Khechari Mudra steps and benefits, this article tells you all. Read carefully.
What is Khechari Mudra?
Khechari Mudra Yoga is an advanced form of yoga that helps you in reaching a higher state of consciousness. The meaning of the word Khechari lies in Sanskrit. Khechari is made up of Khe and chari where Khe means space and Chari means to move. Mudra, as it is widely known, means a gesture or posture. It is also spelled as Kechari Mudra yoga at times. In combination. Khechari mudra is a gesture that helps you move freely towards the infinite space of Brahman. It is believed that this Mudra gets the pleasures of secreting nectar. A type of Hatha Yoga, this yoga is done by curling the tip of your tongue in an attempt to touch the soft palate above and then slowly to the nasal cavity as well. Usually, beginners can only curl the tongue till the soft palate. It is after the practice of months and even years that a person is able to stretch the tongue as per their wishes.
Kechari Mudra Powers
Kechari Mudra yoga is discussed in various religious texts such as Hatha Yoga Pradipika, Gheranda Samhita, and several other tantric and yogic texts. It is mentioned that this pranayama yoga has the capacity to provide incredible powers to those who practice it. Some of the unbelievable powers that this mudra is believed to bestow on the yogis are:
- Immunity to all types of illnesses and diseases
- Protection from snake bites
- Achieving the stage of awakening or nirvana
- Complete stoppage of the aging process
- Survival without food or water
- Immortality or the power to defy death
How to do Khechari Mudra?
The basic thing one does in Khechari Mudra is to roll the tongue back so that it can touch the soft spot on the roof of the mouth. Those who practice it regularly for months and years can touch the tongue to the uvula and even enter the tongue into the nasal cavity. Here are the steps and the stages of Khechari Mudra that you can read to practice this wonderful mudra:
Khechari Mudra Steps
- Begin by sitting in a comfortable position. You can use a chair or blanket or a yoga mat on the floor.
- Now, close your eyes and curl your tongue back and up. It should reach the soft spot on the roof of your mouth.
- After doing this, gently apply pressure on this point using the tip of your tongue. Try to remain in this position as long as you feel comfortable.
- Once you experience pain in the tongue, bring it back to the original position.
- Relax for a while and repeat the same process.
With regular and prolonged practice, you will be able to hold the tongue on the palate for a longer duration. Moreover, you will also be able to touch the tongue till the uvula and even further back than this. Now let us dissect these steps into various Kechari mudra stages:
Khechari Mudra: Stage 1 Soft Palate to Uvula
- Now, as mentioned in the above steps, start the Khechari Mudra by extending your tongue up and then roll it back to reach as far as you can.
- In the beginning, the tongue may not reach the hard palate. You can try fake swallowing to slide your tongue up to the soft palate.
- Do this at least 3-4 times till your tongue rests comfortably at the soft palate.
- You can also try to slide your tongue further into the mouth. In case you can't do it simply by this, you can use your clean finger to push the back of your tongue.
- Try to reach the Uvula in the mouth by pushing the tongue back. The uvula is like a little punching back that hangs over your tongue.
- Once you reach this far, try this 3-4 times to get your tongue comfortable up to this point.
Khechari Mudra: Stage 2 Passing The Uvula
- The second stage begins with the tongue reaching farther back than the uvula.
- You need to open your glottis and mouth quickly to blow a bit of air inside the throat.
- This strong bust of air further helps in pushing rolled tongue behind the uvula and enter into the nasopharynx.
Khechari Mudra: Stage 3 Slipping Into The Nasopharynx
- When the tongue makes its way behind the uvula, find a place behind the uvula from where the tongue doesn't come to its previous position.
- Now, the tongue will begin to slip but at this moment you will feel a strong urge of throwing out the tongue.
- Keep breathing slowly, observe everything that is happening inside your mouth.
- Eventually, your tongue will start slipping into the nasopharynx behind the soft palate. It will reach the upmost where it touches a bony structure known as the pituitary gland.
Khechari Mudra: Stage 4 Pressing Pituitary to Secrete Nectar
- Now, it is where the fourth stage begins. Your tongue has reached beyond the top of the pharynx, making you feel an emptiness in the mouth.
- Tongue touching at the topmost point here is nothing but space between your third-eye. This is where you asked to focus on at the beginning of this practice. Physiologically, this is the seat of the Pituitary gland, or as it is known, the master gland of the body.
- When your tongue is pressed against this gland, it gets stimulated. You will feel the accumulation of fluid in your mouth but as the tongue is up, you will not be able to swallow the saliva.
- Slowly, bring your tongue down to a natural position and you will found the taste of saliva accumulated inside your mouth.
- In the beginning, the taste would be bitter. This is a sign of detoxification of your bodily system. However, with practice, you will realize the bitter taste becomes sweet like honey, strawberry, and butter taste. This is called Amrita the bliss of nectar in Hatha Yoga Pradipika.
Note: This is not kids yoga and must be performed by a true practitioner. You should always practice this yoga mudra under the guidance of a yoga expert with deep knowledge of Khrechari Mudra.
Benefits Of Khechari Mudra
Here are some of the most renowned Khechari Mudra benefits:
- Relaxes mind when done along with breathing exercises
- Helps in spiritual growth
- Improves voice quality
- Controls anger
- Helps in achieving a positive outlook
- Offers peace and calmness
- Strengthens intuition power
- Heals the chakras and awakens the Kundalini Force
- Magnifies the effects of meditation
- Enables true practitioners to live actively without water and food for a long period of time
- Releases the nectar or amrita, from the upper cavity that helps in achieving immense energy, wellbeing, and long life.
Now that you have done reading Khechari Mudra benefits, it is time to learn it. You may have been searching for healthy recipes and yoga practices but a yoga mudra like Khechari Mudra can bring you the magical benefits that no yoga is capable of. And maybe this is why it is considered the king of all mudras!
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Shambhavi Mudra | Ashwini Mudra | Yoni Mudra | Parvatasana | Bakasana | Padahastasana Benefits | Mandukasana | Gomukhasana | Prana Mudra Benefits | Mayurasana | Dandasana | Balasana | Benefits Of Makarasana | Uttanasana Benefits | Yoga Nidra Benefits | Yoga For Anger Management | Apan Vayu Mudra Benefits | Bhujang Asana Is Good For Improving | Halasana | Yoga Mudrasana Benefits | Balayam Yoga Benefits | Vipassana Meditation Benefits | Yoga in Bed for Weight Loss | Kriya Yoga Benefits | Best Mantra for Meditation
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Superman Exercise Benefits | Sumo Deadlift | Side Plank Benefits | Walking Lunges Benefits | Kickbacks Exercise | Box Jumps | Air Squats | Does Skipping Increase Height | Chiseled Body | Hrithik Roshan Workout Routine | Dragon Flag | 5 Brain Exercises | Windshield Wipers Exercise Benefits | Push up Alternatives | Dumbbell Workout for Beginners
Search Terms For Fitness