Have you heard of a superman workout? It is a wholesome workout that supports other core exercises like a leg raise or sit-up which targets the abdominal muscles in the body. It makes any person gain a real superman body by working the glutes, hamstrings, abs, and lower back muscles. However, you have to do it properly and safely to tone and train the right muscles without injury. Let us see how to perform along with the superman exercise benefits to achieve a strong core.
What Muscles Are Trained With A Superman Exercise?
The core is more than just abs. A core comprises the abdominal muscles: the rectus abdominis, transverse abdominis, and the external and internal obliques. It also includes the lower and upper back muscles.
The superman exercise targets the erector spine muscle the most, which is present in the lower back. The other superman exercise muscles to be targeted during this move are spinalis, iliocostalis, and longissimus. Furthermore, it works the hamstrings, upper back, glutes, abdominal muscles, and shoulders. Therefore, this move gives you a stronger core. A strong core will be essential for performing various day-to-day activities like bending, squatting, and lifting. It is beneficial to improve athletic performance and prevent the risk of lower back injury.
Fortunately, a superman’s exercise is very easy to do for all fitness levels. The advantages are that if you perform a superman and a plank exercise regularly, you have a greater chance of developing a six pack effortlessly. However, people with chronic backaches should not do this without proper consultation from a physician.
Benefits Of Superman Exercise
- A superman exercise benefits the spinal support by strengthening effectively and correcting posture. It prevents postural deviation and reduces kyphosis.
- It makes the core very strong that in turn reduces the strain on the lower back. Therefore, this leads to a reduced risk of both injury and pain over time.
- The benefits of superman exercise are that it provides stronger legs and butt by targeting the hamstrings and glutes.
- It is a user-friendly and highly affordable exercise option for everyone. As it requires no equipment, you can perform it anywhere. Therefore, it is highly accessible and convenient to perform in all forms.
What Are Superman Exercise And How To Do It?
Superman workout is a move that you can easily try today. Here’s how:
- Start by lying on the floor on the stomach. Place the legs straight with the arms extended in front of you.
- Slowly lift your arms by keeping the head in a neutral position. Raise the legs for about 6 inches off the floor. You will be able to feel the lower back muscles contracting at this point.
- Now, contract your abs and lift the belly off the ground. You will now realize that you resemble a Superman flying in the air.
- Hold this posture for two to three seconds and keep breathing continuously.
- Lower the arms, legs and belly back to the ground and repeat it.
- Perform this superman pose exercise 2 to 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps.
It is a great workout, even if you can lift only a few inches from the floor. Do not lift or hyper-extend the neck as it will cause strain and pain. By now, you would have got the answer to what are superman exercise and how to perform it effectively. But there are many more variations to it. Let us discuss.
Variations on the superman exercise
If you are looking for alternative and extended benefits to the superman exercise muscles in the body, try the variations like:
- Superman Plank
- Superman Pushups
- Standing Superman
- Superman With Elbows Bent
Superman Plank –
- Start performing this exercise on all fours. Align the knees to your shoulders and hips and keep the neck neutral.
- Then extend one arm in front with the alternating back leg extended behind.
- You will have alternating legs and hands for support on the floor.
- Hold this posture for 2 to 3 seconds and then alternate to the next side.
- Perform this superman hold exercise with 10 to 12 reps on each side.
Superman Pushups –
- Lie down on the floor face down. Start performing super man pushups with the feet to the hip's distance and the elbows bent.
- Place your palms by the shoulders and then inhale. Ensure that your core is engaged all the time and lift the chest.
- As you do this, exhale and perform super man pushups using your back muscles to perform most of the work.
- Take care not to overuse the arms and slowly lower down to the starting position.
Standing Superman –
- You can do this supermans exercise in a standing position with the feet as far as the hip's width apart.
- Bend your knees slightly and use one arm to reach forward.
- Then place weight on the corresponding leg and slowly lift the alternating leg off the floor.
- Keep raising until it is parallel to the ground, and this superman hold exercise pauses here for a count of five.
- Stay balanced and then return to the starting position. Switch sides and perform the workout for 8 to 12 reps on each side.
- You need to have an excellent balance to perform this particular variation of the superman exercise.
Superman With Elbows Bent –
- Superman exercise variations like these are not suitable for people with a strained neck, shoulder or lower back. Start by lying face down on the stomach.
- Place the legs as wide apart as the hip.
- Bend your elbows with the palms facing down.
- Inhale gently and draw the belly button to the spine. Then exhale by lifting the upper body off the ground.
- Keep the legs down and gaze under your thumb with the forehead on the back of your hand.
- Again, inhale as you lower down and keep performing till you feel fatigued.
- This is an ideal workout at home option as it requires no special equipment.
Performing a superman pose exercise is safe to be performed by many, but it is always better to consult a healthcare professional with any history of backaches or injuries. Pregnant women, please refrain from doing this at any point as it will put extra pressure on the belly.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Padahastasana Meaning | Vajrasana Benefits | Surya Ravi Mudra | Bhujangasana Benefits | Meditation Mantra in Hindi | Apan Vayu Mudra Blood Pressure | Bakasana Benefits | Contradiction of Gomukhasana | Types of Pranayama | Vakrasana Precautions | Frog Pose | Shambhavi Mudra Steps | Benefits of Balayam Yoga | Hal Aasan | Benefits of Uttanasana | Benefits of Vipassana | Yoga to Reduce Anger | Mudra for Digestion | Yoga Mudrasana Meaning | Kriya Yoga for Beginners | Khechari Mudra Powers | Benefits of Yoni Mudra | Prithvi Mudra Benefits for Hair | How to Do Prana Mudra | Child Pose
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Sumo Dl | Benefit of Side Plank | Benefits of Skipping Rope for Height | Hrithik Roshan Workout | Box Jump Exercise Benefits |Exercises to Increase Creativity | Lunges Benefits | Wipers Exercise | How to Do Dragon Flags | Archer Push Ups Benefits | Kickback Exercise | Air Squat Form | Chiseled Muscles | Dumbbell Workout for Weight Loss
Search Terms For Fitness
Benefits of Scorpion Pose | Increase Blood Flow to Brain Yoga | Benefits of Ashwini Mudra | Makarasana Yoga Pose | Yoga Nidra for Anxiety | Yoga Parvatasana | Padmasana Pose | Yoga Positions for Weight Loss | Anxiety Mudra | Mayurasana Step by Step | Dandasana Steps and Benefits