Mudras in yoga are one of the simple methods to bring harmony to the body, soul, and mind. Each mudra is connected to some elements that also balance the energies in the body and treats various health issues.Surya Mudra, for instance, is a mudra that can be performed to invoke the sunâ€™s energy. This particular mudra has been performed by the yogis for centuries. Now, its knowledge and practice are widely available for people of all ages and genders. Today, we are going to discuss at length what exactly Surya Muda is, how can you perform it and what exactly are the benefits of Surya Mudra. To know it all, keep reading this article till the end.Let us first start by knowing the meaning of Surya Mudra.
Surya Mudra Meaning
In Sanskrit, the word â€œSuryaâ€ means the sun, and â€œMudraâ€ means hand gesture. Thus, Surya Mudra yoga is a hand gesture or a finger arrangement that represents the energy our body is able to absorb from the sunlight. Here, solar energy also represents the Fire element in the body. In Sanskrit, fire is known as â€œAgniâ€. This is one reason that Surya Mudra is also known as Agni Mudra by the people.As per yoga, our body consists of five elements, namely - earth, fire, water, air, and space. To get the optimum balance among these elements, Surya Mudra eliminates the excess Earth element and increases the Fire element. Another name of Surya Mudra is also Agni vardhak (fire increaser) mudra.
How Does Surya Mudra Work
In our hands, the ring finger or Anamika finger is the Surya finger. It is also connected to Uranus. While the Sun represents heat, health, and energy; Uranus is a symbol is change, sexuality, and intuition.Now, when you hold the ring finger and thumb together, it is known as Surya Ravi Mudra. Â This placement increases the heart and energy throughout the body while simultaneously suppressing the excess earth element.
Surya Mudra Yoga: How To Perform It?
To do the Surya Mudra, you have to bend your ring finger and thumb in such a way that only the tips of your finger touch the base of the thumb. At this point, press the second phalanx of the ring finger with the tip of the thumb. The other three fingers should be lightly stretched and straight during the whole practice.Here are some steps you can follow to perform Surya Mudra in the best way:
Surya Mudra Steps
- Sit comfortably, preferably in Padmasana posture. Do not sit on the floor and use a yoga mat instead. You can also do Surya Mudra while standing.
- Now, arrange your fingers as the way we mentioned above. Do this with both your hands. The ring finger should be touching the base of the thumb while the thumb should be pressing the second phalanx of the ring finger.
- After aligning the body & hand comfortably, put your hands over the kneecap and hold them there.
- Also, focus on breathing while performing Surya Mudra. You can also check Surya Mudra images to see how it is done properly.
What is the best time to perform Surya Mudra?
The best time to do Surya mudra is the morning and evening time as the external heat has a minimum effect on the body. This is why these are ideal for Surya Mudra and other Mudra sessions. Though you can also do it other times it may lead to excessive heat production in the body.Â Another thing to keep in mind is that always maintain a gap of at least 2 hours between the practice and the meals. Having a heavy meal just before Surya Mudra again leads to excessive production in the body. Thus, instead of having benefits, you may end up with disadvantages if you do not choose the ideal time for the Surya Mudra practice.Â As for the duration, you should practice Surya Mudra for at least 45 minutes a day to get the best results. In case you are a beginner and cannot hold this position for such a long time, you can practice it thrice a day with 15 minutes sessions each.
Surya Mudra Benefits
From using Surya Mudra for constipation and thyroid to practicing Surya Mudra for liver and eyes, there is a lot that you can expect from this yoga. Read to know how:
- Boosts Metabolism: As Surya Mudra increases the fire elements, it maintains the bodyâ€™s metabolism and keeps you away from diseases and infections.Â
- Promotes Healthy Digestive System: An disturbance in the Pitta humour can lead to digestion issues. Practicing Surya Mudra alleviates these issues and boosts good digestion. Thus, you can also try Surya Mudra for constipation, ulcers, gastroparesis, or other stomach-related conditions.
- Alleviated Issues That Come With Cold Weather: Surya mudra increases the body temperature and in this process, it relieves you from issues such as dry skin, painful joints, and sore throat caused by cold weather.Â
- Reduces Cholesterol: Surya Mudra works in removing the excess cholesterol in the blood vessels. This also reduces the risk of heart attack and may also help in curing diabetes.Â
- Helps in Weight Loss: It is believed that you can also perform Surya Mudra for weight loss. The Mudra treats digestion problems and helps in detoxifying the body. This in turn makes Surya Mudra for weight loss an effective method.
- Stimulates Thyroid: We all know that the metabolic function of the thyroid gland is extremely essential for the human body. This mudra is considered to be a stimulator of this function. It also balances the space element present in the neck, making it an effective practice for the thyroid.Â
- Good For Eyes: Just like Vayu Mudra Surya Mudra is also beneficial for eyes. Those suffering from eye issues such as leucoma can experience effective results through a regular practice of Surya Mudra.
Precautions To Take:Â
While Surya Mudra is certainly an effective method, it can lead to some issues if not performed the right way. Here are some of the precautions you should take while doing Surya Mudra:
- Avoid Surya mudra during fever. As this mudra heats up the body, itâ€™s not recommended to practice it when you have a fever.
- Practice this mudra in open space during summers to avoid excessive accumulation of heat.
- Stay hydrated when practicing this powerful mudra as it may cause dehydration if practiced for long.
- Underweight people should not practice Surya mudra for a longer time. This is a famous yoga for weight loss and may further reduce their weight.
To Sum Up
Nowadays, performing yoga asanas such as Surya Namaskar are becoming popular. The same is going to happen with yoga mudras. You too can practice this age-old asana and see how miraculous it can be for your overall health. Make sure you learn it from a yoga expert first. For that, search yoga classes near me and find one that suits your requirements.Today, yoga classes make sure they track your progress and even suggest healthy recipes to ensure you get an overall plan for a healthy body. Join one soon and get ready to awaken the energy in you.