Yoga is a name that holds the age-old treasure of wellness and peace. It is no less than a magical way to put your body, mind, and soul in the proper harmony. Yoga says that our body is like a small universe made up of five elements â€“ Vayu (Air), Jala (Water), Agni (Fire), Bhumi (Earth), and Akasha (Ether). All these elements are represented by the five fingers on each palm.Over the thousands of years, rishis and yogis have been balancing these elements through various mudras. One such mudra is Prana Mudra. The mudra is known for having wonderful effects on your physical, mental and spiritual health. It is often done to find a balance in the elements of the body and promote the flow of energy throughout the body.In this article we are going to talk about this mudra. You will learn how to perform Prana Vayu mudra and how it can benefit you. Let us begin by unveiling a little bit more about Prana Mudra.
Meaning of Prana Mudra Yoga:Â
Prana in English means â€œenergyâ€ or life. This is an extremely important Vayu and this is one reason this mudra is also known as Prana Vayu mudra at times. Now in Ayurveda, each finger represents one element. The thumb represents the fire element, while the little finger and ring finger represent the water and earth element respectively. In Prana mudra, you bring together these three elements and invoke therapeutic benefits. The mudra excites the root chakra which eventually awakens and energizes the body. With an awakened body, you feel the life in all the organs.As the name suggests, Prana Mudra links the heart and soul and makes you feel alive. This is why it holds superior importance among other mudras.
Prana Mudra: How Does It Work?
When your bodyâ€™s five main elements, i.e., air, space, fire, earth, and water are in balance, you enjoy a healthy and illness-free life. When you perform in Prana Mudra, it activates the most inactive parts of the body. Our fingers work like the wires of electric current. The Prana Mudraâ€™s hand gestures allow the contact of fingers with the thumb. This gives rise to inner body electric current, which then flows through the body. This aims to balance the elements in the body and fill them with energy.
Step-By-Step Guide to Prana Mudra Yoga
Here are all the steps you need to follow to perform Prana Mudra. Read them carefully and learn:
- Sit comfortably in any posture. Make sure the surroundings are quiet and peaceful.
- As for the postures, meditation mudras like Padmasana, Siddhasana, Swastikasana, and Vajrasana are ideal for the practice of Prana Mudra.
- Now, close your eyes slowly and take some deep breaths to start Prana Mudra meditation.
- Fold your little and ring finger and join them by the lean of your thumb. This should be done with both of your hands. All the other finger should be straight and extended. To understand this better, check the Prana Mudra images online.
- Focus on your breaths and remove all the distracting thoughts from your mind.
- You can chant the â€œOmâ€ mantra to concentrate on your breathing. It may be difficult at the beginning to stay focused but practice can make it perfect.
- Continue the breathing with sound chanting for at least 20-30 times.
- When you focus on your mind later, you will sense a sudden vibration throughout the body. It will seems as if your body is floating. This is how Prana Mudra makes you feel.
Duration for Prana Mudra:Â
If you are a beginner, you can start by doing Prana Mudra pranayama for 10-12 minutes three times a day. Otherwise, it is essential you perform Prana Mudra meditation for 30-45 minutes to get the best results and benefits.Â
Prana Mudra Benefits
Most people think that yoga is all about physical wellness. However, the truth is that yoga mudras can bring plenty of benefits not just physically but also mentally and spiritually. We have jotted down how this particular Prana Mudra provides your physical, mental, and spiritual benefits. Read more to know such Prana Mudra benefits:
- Prana Mudra yoga helps you in alleviating chronic fatigue and exhaustion.
- You can try Prana Mudra for immunity and get rid of diseases with this yoga mudra.
- It also helps in boosting your metabolism and aids in the digestion process.
- Prana Mudra can be done to eliminate Vitamin and nutrient deficiencies.
- Surprisingly, Prana Mudra can also help in improving any muscle spasm, painful condition, or weakness in the legs.
- Regular Prana Mudra pranayama can improve overall blood circulation in the body.
- It also helps in maintaining the bodyâ€™s energy level when you are fasting. It also helps in reducing hunger pangs.
- You can perform Prana Mudra to treat eye-related problems such as dryness in the eyes or redness. It also helps in increasing eyesight, especially if you wear specs.
- You can also do Prana Mudra for hair. The mudra builds the earth element of the body and increases Kapha which leads to stronger roots.
- You can also try Prana Mudra for sleep if you have been experiencing trouble falling asleep.
Mental Health Benefits:
- Prana Mudra proves beneficial in getting rid of negative feelings such as fear, anger, nervousness, tension, and anxiety.
- Not just this, Prana Mudra can also replace negative feelings with self-confidence, inner stability, mental clarity, faith, zeal, joy, and happiness.
- It helps in tackling unregulated habits.
- Prana Mudra improves concentration and helps in achieving a better meditation experience.
- Regular practice of Prana Mudra invokes a rejuvenating vibration in your body.
- Practicing Prana Mudra during the meditation process also helps in spiritual awakening.
Precautions of Prana Mudra:
No doubt that prana yoga is easy and is one of the best yoga postures for kids even. However, there are some precautions you should take while doing this yoga. Some of these measures are:
- It is suggested that you should avoid practicing Prana Mudra when you are suffering from rhinorrhea, cold, and cough.
- Do not perform Prana Mudra if you have back-related issues.
- Try to perform Prana Mudra in Padmasana as it offers maximum benefits.
- When trying this yoga for beginners, try to learn it properly from an expert.
- Avoid pressing your finger and thumb tips very firmly.
- If you are a breastfeeding mother, perform this yoga only after consulting a yoga expert.
Gone are the days when yoga was exclusive for yogis. Nowadays, people do yoga for weight loss, to find spiritual awakening, and to improve their overall life quality. You too can try this yoga mudra easily and get all the amazing benefits to live your days happily.To make the most of your yoga routine, try to seek guidance from yoga experts. They can teach you any type of yoga in no time. From surya namaskar yoga to Prana Mudra, the yoga experts can help you master all types of yoga and let you make the most of this ancient practice. Thanks to the internet, you can also find online classes and video sessions to learn yoga. Check them today and start your fitness journey soon.