Different Names of Ashwini Mudra:
- English Name: Horse Gesture
- Sanskrit Name: Ashwini Mudra
- Meaning: Horse Gesture Pose
The hectic lifestyle and unhealthy habits having far more impact on our health than we could have expected. However, thanks to yoga asanas, exercises, and diet with healthy recipes, we have the power to reverse the damage and start a healthy journey. In this article, we are going to acquaint you with one such yoga that offers numerous benefits with its regular practice. That yoga is none other than Ashwini Mudra or the horse gesture. You will get to know how to do the Ashwini Mudra pose and how it offers amazing benefits. Let us first tell you a bit more about Ashwini Mudra. Keep reading.
What is Ashwini Mudra?
A part of hatha yoga, Ashwini Mudrayoga involves contracting and relaxing the anal sphincter in a manner that helps in moving pranic energy up to the body and offers relief from constipation and haemorrhoids. Ashwini Mudra is called Horse gesture or horse mudra in English. Now, the reason behind this name is that horses follow a rhythmic activity on a regular basis in which they contract and relax the whole region of the pelvis along with the perineum of the body, buttock muscles, and sphincter. Let us see how you can perform this Ashwini Mudra yoga:
Ashwini Mudra Steps
There can be several variations of Ashwini Mudra. Two of them are as follows:
Ashwini Mudra (Version 1)
- Sit straight in Padmasana and relax your whole body.
- Close your eye and start breathing. Be aware of the natural breathing process for a few minutes.
- Now contract the sphincter muscle of the anus and for a few seconds without straining, and relax the whole body.
- Make sure you confine this contraction to the anal area only.
- Repeat the contraction for as long as possible.
- While you do the contraction and relaxation process, try to perform it smoothly and rhythmically.
- Gradually, you can increase the contraction more.
Ashwini Mudra (Version 2)
For this version of Ashwini Mudra, try to sit on a towel that is rolled or on the heels. Check Ashwini Mudra pictures to know how. This will increase the pressure on the Muladhara Chakra. The steps for doing this Ashwini Mudra yoga are:
- Inhale and fill one-third of the total capacity of the lungs.
- Now, contract and relax your anus twice in a second. This should be done at least 15 times approximately.
- Exhale slowly.
- Repeat the whole process of inhaling and contracting the muscles 15 times.
- Now breathe out slowly.
- Try it once more. Fill one-third of the total capacity of the lungs for the third and last time.
- Contract and relax the muscles for the last 15 times.
- Now, this time, do not breathe out. Instead, press the chin with the chest by pulling the shoulders forward. The heat will be felt.
- Now breathe out through the nose and release the tension. You will feel the energy in the entire body.
Things to Keep In Mind While Ashwini Mudra bestows wonderful benefits, there is something you must consider before performing Ashwini Mudra steps. These include:
- Women should not try Ashwini Mudra during pregnancy and menstruation.
- It is also a kids yoga and can be done to treat issues like bedwetting.
- Those who are suffering from severe uterine issues must avoid Ashwini Mudra yoga.
- Those who have health issues such as enlarged thyroid, slipped disc, enlarged liver or spleen should not do Ashwini Mudra asana.
- Always do Ashwini Mudra in moderation as prolonged mudra can lead to health issues.
- Do not do Ashwini Mudra while walking.
- Other than this, you can do it while sitting, lying, or in any standing pose.
- Don't just rely on Ashwini Mudra images to perform it the right way. Seek guidance from a yoga expert.
Ashwini Mudra Benefits
Here are the Ashwini Mudra benefits that make it a must-try yoga:
- Boots Digestion:
One of the main benefits you get from performing Ashwini Mudra is better digestion. The pose helps in alleviating constipation and gas issues. It pumps up the prana into the internal organs that make them stronger and resistant to the diseases. You can also see improvement in bowel movements if you perform Ashwini Mudra on a regular basis.
- Effective For Piles:
Ashwini Mudra does more than just promoting good digestion. It can also prove to be an effective yoga for piles, haemorrhoids, and other anal and rectum-related ailments. When you contract the anal sphincter during this pose, you improve the blood circulation in the whole region. This promotes healing and reduces the burning sensation and pain in the region. So, if you are suffering from piles or any such ailment, we suggest you to do Ashwini Mudra on a regular basis.
- Improves Sexual Health:
Many people practice Ashwini Mudra to boost their sexual health. This is especially helpful for men. The Ashwini Mudra pose deals with the repeated contractions and relaxation of the pelvic muscles, perineum, sphincter, and the whole pelvic region. These strengthen the sex muscles and bring more force and stamina. The pose also improves the blood circulation in the pelvic region that further makes sex pleasurable. What more? Yoga also awakens the sexual energies that come from the water and earth chakras and makes sexual indulgences much better.
- Strengthens The Muscles Of The Uterus:
For women, it is seen that trying Ashwini Mudra can help in alleviating any health condition associated with the uterus. This is the organ that nurtures the fetus and holds the baby till birth. This is why uterus muscles must be strong. In addition, strong uterus muscles also help in easing the menstrual cycle. It is observed that when you perform Ashwini Mudra along with Mul Bandha, it can strengthen the uterus muscles.
- Alleviates Stress and Depression:
Our lives are constantly in a hurry that sometimes leads to excessive stress. Continuous stress for a long time can turn into depression. As you know yoga is known to fight both stress and depression. Ashwini Mudra also walks along the same lines. It can help in the proper functioning of the adrenal gland and control the cortisol levels the stress hormone.
- Promotes Healthy Skin:
This may seem surprising but Ashwini Mudra can also prove beneficial in attaining healthy and clear skin. As it removes major stomach-related illnesses, it indirectly leads to better skin. It also maintains the endocrine system and supports a healthy hormonal system that makes your skin look young and healthy.
- Helpful During Pregnancy:
You can also perform Ashwini Mudra asana to have a healthy pregnancy. It is known to support the gradual growing weight of the fetus. Some women also perform this yoga before and after pregnancy to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles.
The Final Words Now that you have learned all about the horse gesture, it is time to put this knowledge to use by making it a part of your daily workout. In case you are a beginner, it is suggested that you seek expert guidance to properly perform this yoga. This will not just ensure that you reap all the benefits to the maximum but also save yourself from the side effects that may come with the uneducated practice of Ashwini Mudra.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Shambhavi Mudra | Yoni Mudra | Vayu Mudra | Parvatasana | Bakasana | Khechari Mudra Benefits | Padahastasana Benefits | Mandukasana | Gomukhasana | Surya Mudra | Prana Mudra Benefits | Mayurasana | Dandasana | Balasana | Benefits Of Makarasana | Uttanasana Benefits | Yoga Nidra Benefits | Yoga For Anger Management | Apan Vayu Mudra Benefits | Bhujang Asana Is Good For Improving | Halasana | Yoga Mudrasana Benefits | Balayam Yoga Benefits | Vipassana Meditation Benefits | Yoga in Bed for Weight Loss | Kriya Yoga Benefits | Best Mantra for Meditation
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Superman Exercise Benefits | Sumo Deadlift | Side Plank Benefits | Walking Lunges Benefits | Kickbacks Exercise | Box Jumps | Air Squats | Does Skipping Increase Height | Chiseled Body | Hrithik Roshan Workout Routine | Dragon Flag | 5 Brain Exercises | Windshield Wipers Exercise Benefits | Push up Alternatives | Dumbbell Workout for Beginners
Search Terms For Fitness