Before we talk about what is yoga for irregular periods, its benefits, and how is it done, it is important to know what causes irregularity in periods.
Usually, your menstrual cycle is calculated from the first day of your last period to the beginning of your next period. If this cycle is longer than 38 days, it is said to be irregular. Irregular periods are not a problem in itself but may indicate the existence of a bigger issue such as PCOS or thyroid.
Several reasons make your cycle irregular. These include taking birth control pills, pregnancy, perimenopause, obesity, uterine fibroids, rapid weight loss, eating disorders, anemia, excessive exercise, chronic stress & anxiety, etc.
Irregular periods are treated through pain killers, medicines for regulating hormones, and in rare cases surgeries. While these treatments are effective, they may have some side effects in the long run. This is where yoga for irregular periods comes in.
Yoga asanas for irregular periods is a holistic way to treat this problem. Yoga is a gentle practice that offers a holistic and lifelong cure to this issue. That’s not all, asanas for irregular periods also help you manage the side effects of this condition.
Which are some of the best poses of yoga for irregular periods?
Wondering which yoga asanas for irregular periods to do? Here are some of the most effective poses of yoga to regulate periods explained in detail:
1. Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
This is an excellent pose of yoga for delayed periods. It stimulates your reproductive system and even relieves you of menstrual pain.
Steps involved in Dhanurasana pose:
- Lie on the floor on your stomach.
- Inhale and gently bend your legs backwards.
- Stretch your arms backwards and hold your ankles so that your torso supports the weight of your body.
- Hold this pose for 20-30 seconds.
2. Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
This is a very effective pose of yoga for delayed periods that works by balancing your hormones. Its regular practice not just makes your periods regular but also reduces menstrual pain and cramps.
Steps involved in Bhujangasana pose:
- Lie down on your stomach while keeping your legs together.
- Place your palms near your shoulders.
- Inhale and gently raise your upper body using your palms.
- Stretch your neck as much as you can.
- Hold the pose for 50-60 seconds.
3. Malasana (Garland Pose)
This is amongst the most effective yoga poses for irregular periods that help tackle hormonal imbalance and PCOS. It also reduces cramps and pain and keeps your reproductive organs healthy.
Steps involved in Malasana pose:
- Stand straight and keep your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Slowly squat keeping your knees hip-width wide.
- Bring your palms together in a Namaste position.
- Hold this pose for 40-50 seconds.
4. Baddha Konasana (Butterfly Pose)
This is amongst the most effective asanas for irregular periods that improve blood circulation and stimulate your reproductive organs. This helps in reducing and preventing menstrual pain.
Steps involved in Baddha Konasana pose:
- Sit in a comfortable position on the floor.
- The soles of your feet should touch each other.
- Hold your soles with your hands.
- Flap your thighs up and down to mimic a butterfly fluttering her wings.
- Do this motion for 50-60 minutes.
5. Adho Mukho Svanasana (Downward-Facing Dog Pose)
One of the best yoga for irregular periods, it emphasizes on making your stomach muscles stronger. This is also a great pose of yoga to regulate periods.
Steps involved in Adho Mukho Svanasana pose:
- Get into all fours while keeping your spine, arms, and legs straight.
- Inhale and lift your hips towards the sky to get your body into an inverted 'V’ shape.
- Press down your hands and stay in this pose for 40-50 seconds.
Kapalbhati for irregular periods helps in balancing your hormones and making your periods regular.
Steps involved in Kapalbhati pose:
- To begin kapalbhati for irregular periods, sit in a comfortable position.
- Close your body and relax.
- Inhale deeply through both the nostrils.
- Exhale with force using your abdominal muscles.
- Continue this cycle of passive inhalation and forceful exhalation for 5-6 minutes.
What are the benefits of yoga for irregular periods?
Here are some of the most important benefits of yoga to cure irregular periods:
- Yoga for PCOS helps in reducing the levels of testosterone in your body and massaging your reproductive organs. Regularly practicing this helps in making your periods regular.
- Compound asanas such as Surya Namaskar for irregular periods help in strengthening and stretching your muscles. This reduced pain, stiffness, and swelling in your abdominal muscles.
- Surya Namaskar for irregular periods helps in regulating your out-of-sync hormones. This helps in reducing your dependence on medications and birth control pills to cure hormonal imbalance.
- Pranayama for irregular periods is extremely beneficial for women who suffer from irregular periods due to stress and anxiety.
- One of the best yoga for irregular periods benefits is that it opens up the muscles in your legs and pelvic floor. This helps reduce menstrual discomfort, pain, and cramps.
- Yoga poses for irregular periods help in improving your circulation. This helps in helping your muscles relax and in reducing back pain and cramping.
- Yoga for stomach pain makes you more mobile and flexible. This improves your overall quality of life.
How to do yoga for irregular periods safely to avoid injuries?
Here are some things to keep in mind while doing yoga for irregular periods:
- To avoid injuries, learn the asanas of yoga for irregular periods from an experienced trainer. Or you can join an online yoga class. This helps in preventing injuries and stress. This also applies to pranayama for irregular periods.
- If at any time during your practice of yoga for irregular periods you feel pain or dizziness, stop practicing immediately.
- Don’t practice yoga for irregular periods if you have a fever, flu, or cold.
- Never practice yoga to cure irregular periods without consulting your doctor if you suffer from heart disease, injury, spondylitis, high blood pressure, etc.
Remember, yoga for irregular periods is a complementary therapy to your current treatment. Don’t discontinue your medications without consulting your doctor. You should avoid inversion poses during your routine of yoga for irregular periods such as handstand, headstand, or shoulder stand. These poses may increase the flow of blood and cause more discomfort.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Ardha Siddhasana Isha Yoga | How to Do Jnana Yoga | Yoga Asanas to Reduce Buttocks | Yoga Poses for Flat Stomach | Does Hatha Yoga Tone Your Body | Meaning of Raja Yoga | Yoganidrasana Steps |Benefits of Akarna Dhanurasana | Ardha Chandrasana Also Known As | Information About Baddha Padmasana | Chakrasana for Beginners | Trikonasana and Its Benefits |Nava Asana | Benefits of Parsvottanasana | Step of Salabhasana | Salabhasana Precautions| List Down the Steps of Naukasana | Vajrasana Variations |Upavistha Konasana Benefits | Garudasana and Its Benefits
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Back Workout With Dumbbells |Benefits of Pullover | Chest and Back Gym Exercises | Sumo Squats for Knock Knees | Bicycle Exercise | Low to High Cable Fly | Central Chest Exercises | Chest Workouts for Men | Cardio Exercises for Belly Fat Loss | Benefits of Free Hand Exercise | Hand Fat Loss Exercises at Home | Anulom | Improve Reading Habit | Bunny Hops Exercise Benefits | Side Lunges With Dumbbells | Stretches for Front Splits | Creating Inner Peace | Revolved Triangle Pose | Benefits of Leg Curl | Standing Exercises for Belly Fat | Trapezitis Causes
Top Search Terms Fitness
Facts on Meditation | How to Grow Beard Faster | Where Should One Place the Thumb for Shanmukhi Mudra | Weight Loss Meals | How Often to Do Chit Shakti Meditation |How to Grow Beard Naturally at Home | Is Jumping Jacks Good for Weight Loss |Uttanpadasana Benefits and Precautions | Virasana Pose Benefits | How to Do Sumo Squat