Men who workout at home or at a gym are all after a muscular chest. The chest workout for men not only helps to build the chest muscles but also helps in feeling more confident and powerful. Chest workouts for men can be done at home using just the bodyweight or simple weights. Learn more about such a chest workout for men:
Basics of the Chest Muscles before doing a Chest Workout for Men
One does not need to be an expert and know everything about the chest muscles but it is important to know the basics of what movement and what muscles are used for movement to get the desired results. There are two main muscles in the chest; pectoralis major and pectoralis minor. Together they are referred to as pecs or pectorals.Pectoralis Major: This is a thick muscle that is made of the collarbone (clavicular) and breastbone (sternal) and is situated across the chest. It is a fan-shaped muscle. It helps in:
- Flexing your arm
- Extending your arm from the shoulder joint
- Rotation of the arm
- Moving the arm at the shoulder joint
Pectoralis Minor: It is situated below the pectoralis major. It starts from the third rib and extends into the shoulder blade. It helps in the movement of the shoulder joints.
Mistakes to avoid while doing Chest Workout for Men
Before you go ahead and do chest exercises for men, there are certain things that you should not do, like:
- Do not do anything fancy: There are many chest exercises for men that are sophisticated or are difficult to execute. But if you want to do a bigger chest workout at home ditch those! Focus on the basic chest exercises for men that are simple.
- Ensure sufficient exercise for pecs: Some of the best chest exercises are those that focus on the pecs. There are many who do chest workouts for men at home and emphasize secondary muscles and that leads to exhaustion.
- Don't do too many advanced exercises: There are many chest workouts for men at gym which are advanced and if you do the same at home it may be counterproductive. The workout for upper body should have a combination of exercises. Start with some basic workout and once you have upper body strength add advanced exercises.
Top 8 Exercises For Chest Workout For Men
Before you start the chest workouts for men at home or at a gym begin with stretches. Raise your arms up, hook your fingers together and take the arms behind you. Ensure that the arms are as straight as possible. Do some dynamic movements that are of low intensity to warm up your muscles. Strengthen exercises can also be added to increase stamina.
- Standard Push-ups
It is one of the best chest exercises and is a fantastic chest workout for men. Since it works on the inner chest muscles too, it is a part of the inner chest workout.
- Lie on the floor face down. Place the hands in line with the shoulders and extend your arms so that they are straight.
- Stay on your toes so that your heels to the neck are in a straight line.
- Keep the hips and back straight without flexing it.
- To do a push-up, bend your elbows and bring the chest close to the floor. Ensure that the backs and legs are in a straight line to get the best benefits.
Reps: Do this chest workout for men 1 to 3 sets of 10 reps
- Decline Pushups
This is another effective exercise for an upper chest workout. In this workout, your feet are placed at a higher level than your hands and hence it gets trickier to do it. Steps
- As in the standard push-ups keep your palms on the floor, legs, and back straight and feet raised, rested on a table or a bench.
- Repeat the same as a standard pushup
Reps: Do 1 to 3 sets of 10 repetitions each. If you are looking for a lower chest workout do an incline pushup which is the opposite of this exercise.
- Plyometric Pushups
This is one of the common exercises in a chest workout for men at gym but can also be done at home. It is an advanced exercise and adds greater intensity to your session. Steps
- Start with a push-up position and lower the chest to the floor.
- Push yourself so that the hands are off the floor.
- Try clapping your hands when you do a push up to be sure that your hands are off the ground.
Reps: Do 10 repetitions of 1 to 3 sets. This pushup variant is the best chest workout for mass and also boosts stamina.
- Overhead press
An overhead press if done standing is an ideal upper chest workout as well as a lower chest workout as it works on all the large muscles of the upper body it is a chest workout for mass. Steps
- Hold a dumbbell or a field water bottle in each hand.
- The wrists should face each other and the weight should be in line with the shoulders.
- Engage the core and keep the knees soft.
- Move the weights overhead such that the arms are extended completely.
- Bring it back to the start position to complete one rep.
Reps: Do 10 reps of 1 to 3 sets.
- Dumbbell Bench Press
This is part of the inner chest workout that works on the chests large muscles and is included in the middle chest workout.Steps
- Lie on the floor or a bench. Use a weight hovering over the chest. Keep the elbows bent.
- Engage the core and push the weight up over the chest so that the arms are fully extended.
- Bring back the weight so that it touches the chest and the elbows are bent.
Reps: 1 to 3 sets of 8 to 16 reps
- Spiderman Push-ups
This is a fantastic workout as it not only works on the chest muscles it also a lower body exercise.Steps
- Start in a standard push up
- Bend the elbows so that the chest is lower to the ground.
- In this position bend one of the knees so that it is alongside you.
- Stay in this position for a few seconds and return to the start.
- Repeat on the other leg and this is one rep.
Reps: 1 to 3 sets of 10 rep
- Diamond Pushups
This is a great exercise as it allows for the contraction of pectoralis muscles.Steps
- Start in a standard push up position.
- Place your hands together below the chest so that the thumbs and index fingers touch and form a diamond shape.
- Lower the body to the floor and return to the start.
Reps: Do as many as possible
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Cobra Pose | Gyaan Mudra | Parvat Aasan | What Is Kriya Yoga | What Is a Mantra | Different Types of Pranayama | Mudra for Gastric | Shambhavi Mahamudra Benefits | Ashwini Mudra Images | Kukkutasana Steps | Vishnu Mantra for Hair Growth | About Gomukhasana | Plough Pose Benefits | Importance of Mudras | Yoga for Blood Circulation in Hands | Yoni Mudra Steps | Vakrasana Information | Benefits of Namaskar Mudra
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Dragon Flags Benefit of Walking Lunges | Side Plank Muscles Worked | Supermans Exercise | Did Skipping Increase Height | Kickback Exercise Benefits | Sumo Lift | Hrithik Roshan Exercise | Box Jumps Alternative | Yin Yoga Weight Loss | Air Squart | Chiseled Torso | Daily Brain Exercises | Psychic Union | Windshield Wipers Exercise Hanging | Muscle and Strength Dumbbell Workout | Archer Push up Workout
Search Terms For Fitness
Which Yoga Is Best to Control Anger | Benefits of Kakasana | Manduka Asana | How to Practice Khechari Mudra | Chaturanga Dandasana Variations | Tips for Vipassana Meditation | Scorpion Position Yoga | Steps of Padahastasana | Advantages of Mayurasana | Balasana Procedure and Benefits | Makarasana Looks Like | Uttanasana Strengthens | Yog Nidra Benefits | Apana Vayu Mudra for Heart | Balayam Meaning