With time, people have realized the multitude of benefits associated with yoga. This spiritual, mental, and physical practice can cater to the diverse requirements of the body to boost your overall health. And as you gain expertise over yoga for beginners, you can also move to more challenging poses that offer even more benefits.
Talking about slightly challenging yoga, you should definitely try Supta Vajrasana. This simple-looking asana requires flexibility and if you can perform Supta Vajrasana pose on a regular basis, you can further improve your body’s flexibility. Not just this, Supta Vajrasana benefits range from a better digestion system to an improved respiratory system.
If you are planning to perform Supta Vajrasana yoga, we have the perfect guide for you. From Supta Vajrasana meaning to its steps and precautions, you can learn it all. Let’s get started:
What is Supta Vajrasana?
Supta Vajrasana Meaning
The word Supta Vajrasana comes from the Sanskrit language where ‘Supta’ means relined or sleeping, ‘Vajra’ means thunderbolt, and ‘Asana’ means pose. It is known as Reclined Thunderbolt Pose in English. People also use terms like Sleeping Thunderbolt Pose and Supine Thunderbolt Pose. It is also known as Supta Virasana (Reclined Hero Pose).
Supta Vajrasana is actually an advanced form of Vajrasana that you do while lying down. This is why, beginners are often asked to practice and master Vajrasana as a preparatory pose to Supta Vajrasana pose. And the ones who master Supta Vajrasana go on to Purna Supta Vajrasana and Supta Urdhva Pada Vajrasana to upgrade your fitness level. To learn more about all these poses, it is best to seek guidance and training from a yoga expert.
How To Do Supta Vajrasana?
Performing Supta Vajrasana requires proper steps and patience. You need to make sure that each step and technique is right and you do not rush through Supta Vajrasana steps. Also, there are plenty of ways to do this asana.
Below, we have shared Supta Vajrasana steps of the two main variations:
- First, position yourself in Vajrasana pose and then slowly bend your back towards the ground. While you do so, place your right elbow and forearms on the floor. Repeat the same with the other hand.
- With the support of your arms, slowly lower down the crown of your head on the floor and arch the back upwards.
- Your hand should rest at the sides. Now, balance your body in this pose.
- Close your eyes and take deep breaths as you feel relaxed.
- To release the pose, take the support of the arms and elbows to raise your body back to the starting position.
- Relax in Vajrasana.
- The first step of this variation is the same as the one mentioned above,
- As you utilize your forearms for support, place the crown on the floor and arch your back upwards.
- Now, instead of keeping the hands by the sides, fold the arms and place them next to your head.
- Make sure your knees are on the ground throughout the pose.
- The other steps are as similar as Variation 1.
What are The Benefits of Supta Vajrasana?
There are plenty of benefits you can enjoy if you perform Supta Vajrasana yoga on a regular basis. Some of them include the following:
1. Stretches The Body
Supta Vajrasana can effectively stretch multiple muscles groups in your body. It can stretch your chest, back, abdomen, and thigh muscles as well. This also boosts the body’s flexibility and tones the muscles.
2. Helps in Improving Respiratory Disorders
Since the pose expands your chest region, it increases the oxygen flow into the respiratory system. This, in turn, improves respiratory disorders such as asthma. In addition, it can also boost your cardiovascular health.
3. Improves Digestion
Performing Sleeping Thunderbolt Pose also helps in alleviating digestion-related issues such as constipation. This happens as the pose provides a gentle massage of the abdominal organs and improves blood circulation.
4. Corrects Body Posture
While stretching your back, you also improve your body’s alignment and thus, correct any bad posture that might happen due to a sedentary lifestyle.
5. Strengthens ankle, thigh, and hips
It is believed that if you practice Supta Vajrasana yoga on a daily basis, it can make your ankles, thighs, and hips stronger. This happens due to the increase in blood flow and hence better oxygen supply to the muscles. With a strong lower body, your chances of injuries reduce.
6. Relaxes Mind
Since the pose also focuses on deep breaths and relaxation, it can calm your mind and reduce anxiety and stress effectively. Regular practice also boosts blood circulation in the brain that helps in calming the mind and releasing stress.
7. Improves Sexual Health
Yes, you read it right. This yoga can also improve your sexual health by strengthening reproductive organs in both males and females. The stretch of sexual organs and less stress also stimulate the hormones that increase sexual performance.
Apart from the ones mentioned above, Supta Vajrasana also helps in:
- Preventing cholesterol
- Reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases
- Improving kidney and liver functions
- Regulating functions of adrenal glands
- Boosting confidence and self-awareness
What Are The Precautions for Supta Vajrasana?
To avoid any injury and complications, make sure you consider the following things before performing Supta Vajrasana:
- Pregnant women should not do this yoga pose.
- This pose is also not suitable for people who suffer from sciatica or any other spine ailments.
- You should also avoid this yoga or even other yoga poses such as Purna Supta Vajrasana and Supta Urdhva Pada Vajrasana after having a meal. Only Vajrasana can be done after a meal.
- Do not straighten the legs first to release the pose as it can dislocate the knee joints.
- Those who have high blood pressure should also not practice Supta Vajrasana.
- If you are undergoing menstruation, you should not do this yoga pose.
With a number of benefits, Supta Vajrasana is one of the best yoga poses you must try at least once. In case you are a beginner, you can also enrol in online yoga classes and learn from the best. Once you have mastered it, you can easily include Sleeping Thunderbolt Pose in your home workouts.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Akarna Dhanurasana | Ardha Chandrasana Precautions | Siddhasana Follow-up Poses | Baddha Padmasana Meaning | Jnana Yoga Benefits | Shanmukhi Mudra Benefits | Yoga for Flat Tummy | Yoga Poses to Reduce Buttocks | Tips for Hatha Yoga | Virasana Strengthens | Yoga Nidrasana | Upavistha Konasana Meaning | Uttanpadasana Benefits | Steps of Salabhasana | What Is Navasana
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Back Workout at Home With Dumbbells | Side Dumbbell Pullover | Exercise for Knock Knees | Chest Back Superset | Bicycle Abs Exercise | High to Low Cable Fly | Inner Chest Workouts | Best Chest Workout for Men | Can Cardio Help Lose Belly Fat | Sumo Squat | Eagle Exercise Benefits | Jumping Jacks for Weight Loss | Alternating Side Lunges | Middle Split Training | How to Do Chakrasana | Bunny Hops Benefits | Trapezitis
Search Terms For Fitness
Beard Growth Foods | Amazing Facts About Meditation | Diet Plan for Weight Loss | Spiritual Benefits of Yoga | Benefits Best Free Hand Exercise | How to Reduce Hands |Science Behind Anulom Vilom | Habit of Reading Never Leaves Alone | Trikonasana Helps to Improve | How to Grow Beard Faster Naturally at Home | Inner Peace Meditation | Parivrtta Trikonasana Steps | Parsvottanasana Benefits | Raji Yoga Fitness | 12 Salabhasana Is a Locust Posture | Leg Curl Exercise Benefits | Standing Belly Fat Exercise | List Down the Step for Naukasana With Two Benefits