Superman pose is an easy yoga asana that can be done by people of all ages, genders, and fitness levels. The asana targets your abs, hamstrings, glutes, and lower back muscles quite efficiently. On top of that, you can do this asana to complement other core-targeting asanas such as situps and leg raises.
In the article, we are going to cover the superman pose yoga benefits, how to do it, some precautions and safety points to keep in mind while doing this asana, and so on. Read till the end so that you do not miss a single important point about this asana.
How to Do Superman Pose?
Here is an easy step-by-step guide that will help you practice superman pose the right way:
- Spread out a yoga mat and lie down on it in a facedown position (also called the prone position), keeping your legs straight and arms stretched in front of your body.
- Do not look up while doing this asana, keep your head in a neutral position.
- Now, start lifting your arms and legs slowly and stop when they are at a height of about 6 inches.
- While lifting the limbs, you should engage various muscles such as the muscles that are present between your shoulders, your core muscles, and your glutes.
- Contract your abs and try to lift the belly button. If you successfully lift your belly button a little up, you will achieve a position just like how Superman does while flying.
- Hold this pose for about 2 to 3 seconds and keep breathing while the pose.
- Gradually, lower down your belly and limbs to the mat.
- You can repeat the superman pose for 2 to 3 sets of 8 to 12 repetitions as a beginner.
What are the benefits of Superman Pose?
Here is a list of some benefits that you get by practising superman pose in yoga regularly:
1. It Reduces Your Lower Back Pain
The superman asana comes under the type of hold called an isometric hold. This means that you do not have to stretch your muscles much but increase the time under tension to increase strength. The asana targets your glutes, and muscles of the mid and low back to make them stronger. Strengthening these muscles can reduce acute back pain.
2. It Guards You Against Injuries
Among the few lesser-known superman pose benefits is its ability to reduce the chances of injuries. The superman pose can recruit your stabilizer muscles (these muscles are present in the mid-lower back and abdominals) and guard you against injuries. So, add this asana to your home workouts if you want to do powerlifting and weightlifting with a strong core and back.
3. It Improves Your Body Posture
People who spend a large part of their time sitting on chairs or couches because of their professional needs can do superman pose yoga to improve their body posture. Furthermore, this asana can help in back and neck pain prevention as a poor body posture can lead to these problems.
4. It Is An Accessible Asana For Everyone
It is a little hard to find yoga for beginners that has so many benefits. Despite the fact that the list of superman pose benefits is so long, the Superman pose is adaptable and accessible for everyone. If you are a beginner lifter, this asana is especially beneficial for you as it can make you aware of your body muscles. Once you master the basic form of superman standing pose, you can do variations that challenge your body even more.
5. It Improves The Stability Of Your Spine
There is a group of muscles called the erector muscles which run along your spine. The main function of these erector muscles is to maintain the stability of your spine and prevent any type of unnecessary movement in the lower part of your back. Superman asana can strengthen these muscles and make you better at lifting heavy loads.
Another way it helps in stabilizing the spine is by recruiting your abdominal muscles. There are various scientific studies that show that the abdominals can help in stabilizing the spine. Not only does a stable spine help in improving the mobility and flexibility of your day-to-day tasks but it also reduces the chances of injuries.
6. It Boosts Your Athletic Performance
Among other major muscle groups, glutes are also targeted by the Superman pose. If you already didn’t know, one main function of glutes is to stabilize your hips and aid you in walking, running, staying upright doing regular work. While exercises like lunges, deadlift, squat, and step-ups are famous for working on glutes, the Superman pose is a lesser-known movement that aids in strengthening your glutes. If you are an athlete, you can do Viparita Salabhasana to improve your running, jumping, and cycling performance.
What are the safety precautions while doing the Superman Pose?
Here is a list of some precautions and safety points to keep in mind while practising superman pose in yoga:
- As a beginner, you don’t need to lift your limbs and belly too much. In the starting days, even a few inches off the floor are considered good for superman pose yoga.
- Do not lift or hyperextend your neck while doing the Superman pose. Otherwise, you will end up with sharp pain and discomfort in your neck. If you do not know how far you have to extend your neck, you can join online yoga classes and consult an expert yoga trainer about the same.
- You reap the most benefits only when your movements are deliberate and slow. Lift your legs and arms slow, pause in the superman standing pose for about 2 to 3 seconds, and then lower the limbs down slowly.
- Some people pause their breath while doing Viparita Salabhasana. Not breathing can reduce the amount of oxygen that is reaching your organs. So, keep inhaling and exhaling while you lift your libs off the floor.
The Superman pose is a beginner-friendly yoga asana that delivers a ton of health benefits. From core muscles to the glutes and hamstrings, this yoga asana can target a number of large muscle groups in your body. Learn the asana from our guide and add it to your workout right away.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Meditation Fact | Nidrasana | Types of Raja Yoga | Salabhasana Also Known As | Salabhasana Strengthens | Procedure of Naukasana | Supta Vajrasana Pose | Konasana Meaning | How to Do Uttanpadasana | Virasana Yoga Pose Benefits | Garudasana Steps and Benefits | Akarna Dhanurasana Standing | How to Do Ardha Chandrasana | How to Do Siddhasana | Baddha Padmasana Benefits | Jnana Mudra Benefits | Yoga Spiritual Benefits | Yoga for Bum | Yoga Poses for Flat Tummy | Hatha Yoga Poses for Beginners | Anulom Vilom Yoga Benefits | How to Do Triangle Pose
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Ab Bicycle Exercise | Cable Fly Exercise | Middle Chest Exercise | Chest Workouts | Cable Pullover for Chest | Exercise Free Hand | Fat Hand Exercise | Bunny Hops Workout | Lat Superset Workout | Knock Knees Exercises | Lateral Lunge Muscles Worked | How to Do Standing Split Pose | Leg Curls Benefits | Dumbbell Back Home Workout | Standing Exercise for Weight Loss | Benefits of Sumo Squats
Top Search Terms Fitness
How to Grow Beard | Fat Burning Foods | Best Books to Start Reading Habit | Trapezitis Treatment Physiotherapy | Parsvottanasana Follow-up Poses | Cardio Exercise for Belly Fat | Are Jumping Jacks Good for Losing Weight | Which Asana Helps in Curing Acidity, Neck Spondylitis, Lordosis Etc? | How to Grow Beard Faster Naturally in Home | Shanmukhi Mudra to Pranayama Benefits | How to Do Chakrasana Step by Step | Guided Meditation for Inner Peace and Calm | List Down the Steps for Navasana With Two Benefits