When it comes to food, people have strong eating habits. After all, “you are what you eat”. We learn these habits from childhood and some stay with us for a whole lifetime. That being said, some of them could be good food habits while other may not. It is only when we focus on good food habits that we can achieve a healthy lifestyle.
In this article, we are going to delve a little deeper into eating habits and see how they can impact our health. With a better understanding of the role that food habits play in life, you can replace your bad eating habits with good ones. Let’s begin:
- Physical Health
Anything that we eat impacts our overall health – be it immune system, bones or cardiovascular system and skin. If you eat nutrient-rich food, your body gets the required nutrition to function properly. Your body’s proper development also relies on healthy eating habits and that is why parents are suggested to follow healthy eating habits for kids.
Healthy eating habits also ensure your body gets the energy to perform day-to-day lives. But this does not mean, you need to overeat. Such food habits can create further troubles like weight loss and impact your healthy in the longer run.
- Mental Health
Along with your physical health, eating habits also impact your mental health. Healthy eating habits support cognition, alertness, memory, sleep, and even problem solving. This is due to the fact that good nutrition supports proper brain development and maintenance of normal cognitive functions.
A diet rich in nutrients also helps in lowering risk of mental health issues such as depression, anxiety, and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Prevents Diseases and Health Issues
Staying healthy is not just about proper functioning of body. It is also about reducing the risk of diseases and preventing health issues that can reduce the quality of life. Healthy eating habits help you in that. When you combine healthy eating with regular physical activity, you can prevent various conditions such as obesity, type-2 diabetes, and even cancer. There are various foods that contain antioxidants that can reduce your chances of cancer.
Not only this, healthy eating habits also keep your blood pressure, weight, and blood cholesterol in check to keep your heart healthy.
Thinking about food in this way helps in realizing why it is essential to adopt healthy eating habits. To understand this even better, here is how poor food habits affect your health:
What Happens When You Do Not Follow Good Eating Habits?
Bad food habits lead to poor nutrition and this can lead to various issues to affect your overall well-being. Here are some potential risks and conditions that can occur due to poor food habits:
- Tooth Decay
- High Blood Pressure
- High Cholesterol
- Heart Diseases
- Type-2 Diabetes
- Some Cancers
- Eating Disorders
- Poor Sleep
In short, poor food habits can impair your overall health and impact your ability to lead an enjoyable and active life.
Top Healthy Eating Habits To Follow
Now that you know how good eating habits impact your overall health, it is time to put this learning to use. Here are some of the good food habits to start your journey to a better you:
- Eat slowly and Chew Properly: Our brain takes at least 20 seconds to send signals that our body is full. Thus, it is essential that you eat slowly to make sure you do not overeat. As for chewing, it helps in breaking down the food into smaller units and thus promotes better absorption of nutrients and improved digestion.
- Try Different Dishes: Your body needs various nutrients to function properly and not every food can give you all the macronutrients. Thus, plan your diet in a way that you get the chance to have varied dishes on your plate. Start with vegetables and then dig for the rest. This way you can ensure your body gets all the nutrients.
- Cook More: The best way to get more interested in your food is to cook it yourself. This will also help you know what exactly is in your food. It is also seen that when you serve yourself, you tend to eat less. This way you can avoid overeating. In case you don’t know how to cook, you can always find recipes online. If you are a non-vegetarian, we would suggest you to try Vietnamese chicken salad recipe. If not, protein-rich adai recipe is a great option to make an easy yet healthy dish at home.
- Add More Fruits and Vegetables: A diet rich in fruits and vegetables gives you a whole range of nutrients, antioxidants, and fibre to stay healthy. This is specifically one of the best healthy eating habits for kids since what they learn in childhood helps them in the years to come.
- Drink Water: Healthy eating habits also mean proper hydration. Set a goal to drink at least 8 glasses of water. You should also restrict your intake of sugar-sweetened drinks. Choosing water over such unhealthy drinks can also help in losing weight and getting clear your complexion.
- Eat Less Sugar: Adopting good food habits also mean reducing your sugar intake. Find a substitute for sugar such as artificial sugar or honey in your food. You can also eat more fruits or fruit-based desserts to cope with your sugar cravings.
The Bottom Line
Adopting good eating habits is not something you can do overnight. It will take a lot of time and perseverance to adjust your old food habits and turn them into healthy eating habits. But now that you know how good food habits impact you and what are some healthy eating habits, we are sure this step with becoming somewhat easier. You can also take the help of a dietician to help you learn more about healthy eating habits and the best way to learn them. Just make sure you stay consistent and follow the tips regularly.