DR. LATIKA ARYAMD (Dermatology)Consultant Dermatologist, Laser and Aesthetic Specialist
Dark Circles - Causes & Treatment
Periorbital Circles also called Dark Circles are dark shadows under and around the eyes and are a common complaint in both men and women. Although they are not dangerous, they can make an individual look tired and older causing a lot of psychological distress and reduced self-confidence.One may not be able to remove or get rid of dark eye circles altogether, but there are several techniques and remedies that can help minimize their appearance.In order to know how to improve the appearance or which treatment would be best suited for you, it is first important to understand why the dark circles have developed.
- Thinning of Skin
- Congested Capillaries (tiny channels containing blood)
- Wrinkling of Skin
- Hollowing (Tear troughs) creating a shadowy effect.
- Puffy eyes or eye bags create dark circles under the bulging area.
+ Contributing Factors
There may be many contributory factors but most common are - Natural aging, Eye strain, Sleep deprivation, Excessive sun exposure, Eyelid dryness, Dehydration, Genetic, Medical conditions such as Allergies, Anaemia, Hypothyroidism, Insulin resistance, Vitamin B12 deficiency.
+ Preventive Precautions
- Have Restful Sleep
- Avoid excessive Screen Time
- Apply Cold Compresses on your eyelids for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Avoid excess Salt in your Diet
- Stay Hydrated
- Don’t drink too much Alcohol
- Avoid Smoking
- Eat Foods rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin B12 and Iron
+ Aim of Treatment
Depending on the Specific Causes, the Treatments are aimed to -
- Brighten Pigmented Areas
- Smoothen Fine Lines
- Improve Skin Thickness
- Constrict Blood Vessels (Which Cause Dark Shadows)
- Diffuse Light
- Fill Hollows
Once the Cause has been determined, a Customized Treatment Approach is planned which can be Medical, Procedural or Combined. The Type of Treatment required for a specific individual is determined after a thorough assessment of the cause and a discussion on all aspects of treatment with the Dermatologist.
+ Treatments by Cause
1. Increased Pigmentation
- Treated by applying Skin Lightening Agents such as Vitamin C, Kojic Acid, and Licorice extract.
- Chemical Peels to reduce Pigmentation
2. Skin Thinning or Wrinkling
- Treated by Retinol which stimulates the production of Collagen, making the skin less thin & reducing lines.
- Dermapen and Microneedle RF to reduce Wrinkles and increase Collagen
3. Darkness due to Allergies
- Treated by Histamine along with an Anti-inflammatory Cream and moisturizer.
- Skin Boosters to instantly smoothen and brighten the area,
4. Fill or Restore Volumes in the Under eye Hollows
- PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) to Regenerate Healthy Tissues
- Hyaluronic Acid Fillers
- Good Practices to Support the Treatment or Therapy
- Wear a Broad-spectrum Physical Sunscreen that contains Zinc Oxide or Titanium Dioxide .
- Clean your Eye Make-up gently using light strokes in a single direction. Do Not rub the area vigorously.
- Use a Concealer, Foundation or Primer to cover up the Dark Circles until treatment starts showing results.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Padmasana | Ashwani Mudra | Hair Growth Mudra | Benefits of Mandukasana | Scorpion Pose Yoga | How to Do Yoga Nidra | How to Do Shambhavi Mahamudra | Mudra for Gas | Anger Management Yoga | Uses of Vajrasana | Parvatasana (mountain Pose) | How to Do Mayurasana Step by Step |Om Mani Padme Hum Benefits in Hindi | Padahastasana Steps and Benefits | Chaturanga Benefits | Halasana Steps and Benefits | Psychic Union Pose | Types of Pranayama and Their Benefits | How to Do Khechari Mudra | Best Mudra for Depression | Makarasana Improves |Kriya Yoga Exercises | What Is Surya Mudra | What Are the Benefits of Prana Mudra | What Is Uttanasana |
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Air Aquats | |Deadlift Exercise Benefits | Archer Push Up | Crane Pose | Hrithik Roshan Fitness | Side Plank Dips | Skipping Rope Benefits for Height | Windshield Wipers Abs | Walking Lunges Workout | Chiseled Body Woman | Superman Exercise Target Muscles | Dragon Flag Exercise Benefits | Activities to Boost Creativity | Glute Kickback Benefits | Lateral Box Jumps | Can Yin Yoga Help You Lose Weight | Bicep Workout Routine With Dumbbells |
Search Terms For Fitness
Apan Mudra for Digestion | Bhujangasana Muscles Involved | Vipassana Weight Loss | Yoga to Improve Blood Circulation in Brain | How to Make Yoni Mudra | Precautions of Vakrasana | Gomukhasana Is Helpful in Which Disease? | Parsva Balasana Benefits | Balayam Exercise Benefits |