Simhasana or the Lion pose is one of the most unique yoga poses you would ever see. This is one yoga where you don’t just stretch your body in a particular position but you are also required to make a sound like a lion. That’s why it is known as Lion Asana. This amazing combination of sound and body posture further increases the benefits of Simhasana.
If you have been planning to start yoga for beginners, this has to be on your list. Simhasana posture is quite simple and can be done by anyone. Once you have mastered the basic Lion Asana, you can also modify it and make it more challenging to match your fitness level.
In this article, we have offered a simple yet effective guide on Lion pose yoga. From Simhasana steps to Singhasan yoga benefits, you can learn about it all. But let us first begin by understanding this yoga a bit more:
What is Simhasana?
Simhasana word comes from the Sanskrit language where ‘Sinha’ means Lion and ‘Asana’ means pose or posture; hence, it means Lion pose yoga in English. It is included in Hatha yoga and modern yoga. There is also a Simhasana yoga II that has been mentioned in Iyenger Yoga which begins from the lotus position.
Those who wish to do Simhasana posture are often suggested to start with a few preparatory yoga poses. These include the following:
- Supta Baddha Konasana
- Virasana (Hero Pose)
This helps in improving body flexibility so that you can perform Simhasana yoga pose easily.
Step-by-Step Guide to Simhasana Yoga
It is time to learn the pose and make it a part of your home workouts. Below, we have jotted Simhasana steps anyone can follow:
- The starting position for Lion Position yoga is Vajrasana or the Thunderbolt pose. For this, you have to kneel on the floor with your feet in line and your hips resting on them. Your soles should be facing upwards. As for the upper body, keep it straight but relaxed and put your hands on your thighs.
- Now spread your thighs a bit and slightly bend forward by placing the palms on the floor between the knees. Your fingers should be facing backwards, towards your body.
- Inhale deeply and take out your tongue. Focus your gaze on the centre of your eyebrows.
- As you exhale, roar like a lion or just say “haaa”. Make sure the sound comes out of your throat.
- Once you have exhaled, inhale normally and repeat roaring for exhaling. This is also why people also call it Lion's Breath yoga.
- Repeat this process about 4 to 6 times. You can also move your tongue whole making the sounds.
- If you cannot perform Lion Pose in Vajrasana, you can also try it with different asanas such as Padmasana or the Lotus Pose.
- You can also sit in Mandukasana (Frog Pose) and perform the Lion's Breath yoga.
Benefits Of Simhasana
Knowing the benefits helps you understand if it can meet your health goals. It also assists in setting the right expectations and encourages you to perform regularly. Here are some of the best Simhasana benefits you should know about:
- Relaxes Throat and Face Muscles
When you open the mouth widely and roar, you end up stimulating the throat and face muscles. This increases blood circulation and also alleviates any stiffness. All this promotes relaxation.
- Stimulates the Fifth Chakra
Simhasana benefits are also spiritual as they help in stimulating your fifth chakra that is located in the thyroid. It is believed that this chakra is the seat of creativity, communication, and expression. So, by performing Simhasana, you also boost your creativity and communication abilities.
- Improves Vocal Chords
This is undeniably the most common and effective Lion Pose benefits that everyone knows. By doing this yoga on a regular basis, you can train your vocal cords and get a deep and clear voice. People with speech impairment are also recommended Lion Position yoga due to its impact on vocal chords.
- Stretches the Body
It may not come as a primary benefit but your body does get a good stretch. Your chest especially opens up as you bend forward and roar. Simhasana yoga pose also improves your body posture by stretching the spine.
- Reduces Self-Consciousness
Lion Pose benefits go beyond physical and spiritual advantages too. If you are a shy and self-conscious person, performing the Lion pose can help in breaking away from shyness and encourage you to speak up. It also helps in releasing emotions, or any thought patterns that may be bothering you.
Other than these, Lion Pose face yoga also helps in:
- Reducing face fat
- Improving thyroid function
- Strengthening fingers and hands
- Relieving back pain
- Curing bad breath
Precautions and Tips
Reading Singhasan yoga benefits is not enough. You ought to know the tips and keep a few precautions in mind to perform the pose correctly. Some of these tips are:
- Those who have wrist or knee injuries should avoid Simhasana. If they wish to perform this yoga after recovery, it is suggested to get advice from their health expert in advance.
- Do not over-stretch your mouth to roar as it can lead to strain.
- Avoid focusing at the eyebrow centre if you feel dizzy. Try it only for a few seconds and look away.
- If you are a beginner, pay attention to pranayama and try to learn it from a yoga expert. Nowadays, there are various online yoga classes where you can learn yoga from experts while practising at home.
- Try to perform the Lion Pose face yoga in the morning with an empty stomach.
- Find a quiet place where no one can disturb you as it can make you uncomfortable if you perform it in a hustle-bustle place.
- If you experience nausea or shortness of breath, immediately stop the yoga.
Simhasana is a fun and interesting yoga pose that everyone should try at least once. In addition to its therapeutic benefits, this yoga can also allow you to feel your body and enjoy the process. Try it today and we are sure you would wish to add it to your daily routine.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
tummy yoga | basic hatha yoga | uses of chakrasana | chandrasana pose | baddha meaning | jnana yoga practice | shanmukhi kriya | benefits of yoga | navasana steps | raja yoga poses | salabhasana steps | naukasana procedure | purna supta vajrasana | chronic trapezitis | ekapada uttanpadasana | benefits of hero pose | garudasana steps | extended triangle pose | yoganidrasana meaning | ardha siddhasana posture | buttocks reduce yoga | how to do salabhasana | 10 benefits of trikonasana |
Top Search Terms For Exercises
splits | plank bunny hop |russian leg curl | easy standing exercises | Sumo Squats Form | lower chest cable fly | free hand exercise | lateral lunges benefits |pullover exercise at home | best chest and back workout | knock knees best exercise | how to reduce fat in hand | jumping jacks to lose weight | upper middle lower chest workout | cardio exercises to lose belly fat |
Top Search Terms Fitness
grow beard faster | food increase metabolism | grow beard naturally |dhanurasana drawing easy | parsvottanasana variations | bicycle exercise for weight loss | best chest exercises for men at home | how to make a habit of reading books | interesting facts about meditation | anulom vilom pranayama benefits | meditation for peace of mind and concentration | upavistha konasana yoga pose | back home workout with dumbbells |