What is a full-body workout?
As the name suggests, a full-body workout is one that targets all the major muscle groups in your body in the same session. These muscle groups include:
These exercises can be either done using your bodyweight or with weights to add more resistance. You can do dumbbells workouts, barbells workouts, kettlebells workouts, or weight machines, you are said to be doing exercises with weights.
Which are some of the best full-body exercises with weights?
Here is a list of the best exercises with weights that target all the major muscle groups:
- Arm exercises with weights: You use your arms throughout the day. That’s why it becomes necessary to keep them strong and flexible to not just be more functional but also to improve your lifting. Here are some of the best arm exercises with weights to help you strengthen and tone the muscles in your arms:
- Bicep curl
- Bent-over triceps extension
- Hammer curl
- Triceps dip
- Shoulder press
- Wide curl
Muscles worked: The exercises with weights for arms work on these muscles:
- Biceps brachii
- Triceps brachii
- Rotator cuff
- Leg exercises with weights: Your legs form the foundation of almost every movement that you make. That’s why it is essential to include leg exercises with weights in your full-body workout to keep yourself agile and enjoy a better quality of life. A toned pair of legs also ups your confidence levels. Here are some of the best leg exercises for you to try:
- Goblet squat
- Dumbbell step-ups
- Dumbbell swing
- Seated dumbbell calf raise
- Romanian deadlift
- Good morning
Muscles worked: Here are the muscles that weighted leg exercises work on:
- Abs exercises with weights: Abs exercises with weights work primarily on your core. Your core does not just help you keep an erect posture, makes doing activities simple, but also has an impact on how well your legs and arms function. Here are some of the most effective core exercises with weights for your abs:
- Low to high dumbbell chop
- Leg drops
- Plank dumbbell drag
- Renegade row
- Forward lunge with twist
Muscles worked: Core exercises with weights work on:
- External and internal obliques
- Transverse abdominis
- Rectus abdominis
- Chest exercises with weights: These exercises are not just done to give you a toned upper body, but also to improve upper body strength. They also improve the functioning of your lungs and better your posture. Here are some of the best chest exercises with weights:
- Chest fly
- Barbell bench press
- Flat barbell bench press
- Incline bench press
- Cable crossover
Muscles worked: These exercises work on:
- Pectoralis major and minor
- Serrates anterior
- Lower back exercises with weights: Your lower back region determines how well your body is balanced and functional. Right from the act of picking up something off the floor to doing lifting exercises, all gets done with a stronger lower back. Here are some of the most effective lower back exercises with weights:
- Good morning
- Quadruped dumbbell row
- Barbell deadlift
- Single-arm dumbbell row
- Reverse fly
Muscles worked: These exercises with weights work on your:
- Erector spinae
What are the benefits of exercises with weights?
Be it exercises with weights for arms or glutes exercises with weights, adding weights to your exercises have tremendous benefits for your health and fitness. Here are some great reasons to add weights to your workout routine and do exercises with weights:
- Adding weights to your workout increases the strength of your muscles. This is a great benefit both for men and women as it helps in making daily activities easier and increasing your workout performance.
- Stronger muscles help in giving you an aesthetic and toned appearance. This adds to your confidence and happiness levels.
- When you do exercises with weights, it helps burn more calories. This is essential to help you reach your optimum weight, which in the long run prevents chronic obesity-related problems. These include kidney diseases, heart diseases, diabetes, hypertension, etc. These exercises don’t just help you lose weight, but by improving your metabolism, also help in keeping off that weight in the long run.
- Weight training is a great way to protect bone health and muscle mass. This is especially important for preventing age-related loss of bone and muscle mass. Lower body exercises with weights help in preventing the risk of fractures and injuries along with conditions such as osteoporosis.
- Strength training is essential to improve your body mechanics. This includes your posture, balance, and coordination.
- By adding strength to your muscles, you improve your posture, particularly with lower body exercises with weights. This is a great benefit for people who need to sit or drive for long hours. Exercises with weights prevent lower back pain, tension, and stiffness
- Exercises with weights are known to help people manage the symptoms of chronic diseases such as diabetes, type-2 diabetes, and even cancer.
- One of the best benefits of exercises with weights is that they release endorphins, also known as happy hormones and curtail the production of cortisol, which is the stress hormone. This prevents stress, anxiety, anger, mood swings, and even depression.
How to do exercises with weights safely?
Since these exercises involve weights, there are some things that you need to do to avoid injuries. These include:
- Don’t start using heavyweights at the outset. Choose the optimum level of weights depending on your experience, fitness, and flexibility levels, your individual goals, time constraints, etc.
- Whether it is lower body exercises with weights, glute exercises with weights, or lower body exercises with weights, don’t start these exercises without learning the proper technique.
- Always keep your back straight while lifting weights.
- Always incorporate a warm-up and cool-down session in your workout.
Even with all the amazing benefits that exercises with weights have, your body does get used to them. To gain better benefits and enjoy your workouts, it is essential to rotate between different variations of exercises. This also helps in keeping you motivated and engaged.