Achilles tendonitis is the condition in which your Achilles tendon gets inflamed or injured. The most common causes of Achilles tendonitis are intense and excessive workouts in the gym or any other kind of physical activity.
There are a number of stretches and strength exercises for Achilles tendonitis treatment. These exercises will reduce the symptoms like limited range of motion, tightness, or discomfort while moving your leg. We have mentioned various Achilles tendonitis treatment exercises that will help you help and improve mobility.
4 Achilles Tendon Stretches And Exercises
You can do stretches, calf exercises, or strength exercises for Achilles tendonitis. There is no need to choose one type of Achilles tendonitis exercise as you can add all types of exercises to your workout at home. However, one thing you have to keep in mind while doing the workout is that there should be enough time between Achilles tendon strengthening exercises so that your muscles and tendons can heal.
Here is the list and step-by-step guide of the 4 best exercises for Achilles tendonitis:
- Toe-To-Wall Exercise
If you want to do an Achilles tendonitis exercise that doesn’t include your upper body, toe-to-wall is the perfect exercise for you. This exercise provides relief to the Achilles tendon and hence increases the mobility of your ankle. Here is a step-by-step guide that will help you do the toe-to-wall exercise:
- Stand in front of a wall with your face towards the wall.
- Place your toes on the wall to stretch the Achilles tendon. The higher your toe goes, the greater the stretch on the Achilles tendon.
- Lean forward while keeping your heel on the ground and the other leg behind you.
- Hold the toe-to-wall exercise pose for about 30 seconds and complete 3 reps.
- Heel Drop Stretch
To do this stretch, you will require either a staircase or a stepladder. If you are doing it with a stepladder, ensure that it does not slip away while you are doing the stretch. Here is a step-by-step guide that will help you do the heel drop stretch:
- Grab the railing of a staircase and put the ball of your foot (the one that is feeling pain) on the edge of the last step.
- Allow your heel to drop down towards the ground so that your Achilles tendonitis can feel the stretch. Meanwhile, you have to keep the other foot relaxed.
- Hold the heel drop stretch pose for at least 30 seconds and do 3 reps to get optimal results.
- Seated Heel Raises
When you do seated heel raises, your calf muscles work in sync with each other to lift the heels. Not only does this Achilles tendonitis exercise increase your strength, but it also offers support for the injured or inflamed Achilles tendon. Here is a step-by-step guide that will help you do seated heel raises:
- Take a chair and sit on it while placing your feet at shoulder-wide distance from each other.
- Now, keeping your fingers touching the ground, try to lift your heels in the air as high as possible.
- While lifting the heels, you will feel stretch in your Achilles tendon and calf muscles.
- Pause for a few seconds in the seated heel raises pose and then slowly lower down the heels.
- Resistance Band Calf Exercise
If you want to increase your strength along with treating Achilles tendonitis, Resistance band calf exercise is perfect for you. This Achilles tendinitis physical exercise will help you in toning your calf and heel muscles. Once you get comfortable doing the exercise, you can use a thicker band for more resistance. Here is a step-by-step guide that will help you do resistance band calf exercise:
- Sit on the ground and stretch your legs out in front of you.
- Now, take a resistance band and wrap it around your foot’s ball that is affected because of Achilles tendonitis.
- Bend your knees a little and hold the end of the resistance band with your hands.
- Now, pull the band so that your foot moves a little towards you.
- Pause for a few seconds in the resistance band calf pause and then release the band.
Tips For Achilles Tendon Pain Exercises
Most Achilles tendon strengthening exercises are easy to learn and practice. Still, you might need these tips to get the best out of the Achilles tendinopathy exercises:
- You should keep practicing Achilles tendinosis exercises and stretches even after you get relief from the pain. These Achilles tendonitis treatment exercises will ensure that the tendon gets the optimal relief and mobility.
- Always take your time while doing an exercise. Moving slowly in the Achilles tendonitis physiotherapy treatment will also reduce the risk of any type of injuries or discomfort to your ankles.
- Never bounce while doing exercises to avoid Achilles tendonitis. Sudden movements like bouncing can further inflame your Achilles tendon and increase the pain.
- Keep your heel planted on the ground while doing Achilles tendon stretches like the calf stretch. This will help you in stretching the Achilles tendon properly.
- If you are feeling sharp pain while performing Achilles tendinopathy exercises, you should immediately stop.
- If you feel mild pain while performing exercises to avoid Achilles tendonitis, you should take a rest. However, if you still feel pain when you restart the Achilles tendonitis physiotherapy treatment after taking rest, you should consult a doctor.
- What are the best exercises for Achilles tendonitis for someone else might not work for you because of different root causes of the problem. So, it is important to try various Achilles tendon pain exercises.
- You can do a home treatment like icing and wearing heel lifts along with performing an Achilles tendonitis exercise to get the best results.
Achilles Tendinosis Exercises: The Takeaway
You can easily increase your mobility and loosen up your tendon by doing an Achilles tendinitis physical exercise. If you choose a strength exercise, you will also end up toning your calf and heel muscles. No matter what type of Achilles tendonitis exercise you choose, you are going to get relief from pain.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Balasana | Bakasana | Mandukasana | Parvatasana | Vakrasana | Uttanasana | Padahastasana | Supta Vajrasana | Gomukhasana | Uttanpadasana | Dandasana | Mayurasana | Kurmasana | Vajrasana Benefits | Balayam Yoga | Garudasana Benefits | Makarasana Benefits | Prana Mudra |Yoni Mudra | Khechari Mudra | Vayu Mudra | Ashwini Mudra | Surya Mudra | Ardha Siddhasana | Akarna Dhanurasana | Salabhasana Benefits | Shanmukhi Mudra | Baddha Padmasana | Prithvi Mudra Benefits | Yoga for Flat Tummy | Types of Pranayama
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Butt Kicks | Cable Fly | Sumo Squats | Free Hand Exercise | Flat Dumbbell Press | Swimming Exercises | Exercise for Knock Knees | Push Pull Legs Workout | Hand Fat Loss Exercise | Archer Push Ups Benefits | Best Cardio for Belly Fat | Cat and Camel Exercise
Top Search Terms Fitness
How to do Chakrasana | Superman Exercise Benefits | Shambhavi Mahamudra steps | Vipassana Meditation Benefits | Standing Exercise for Belly Fat | Jumping Jacks for Weight Loss | Does Skipping increase Height | Easy Fitness Tips to Properly gain Muscle