Are you following the same basic routine daily and exercising using the same machines? If you are looking to go to the next level and want to build muscle mass, it is time to add to your average routine and do something different. A push pull legs workout routine is a simple but popular workout that you can do. This article will explain the advantages of the push pull legs workout plan.
What is a Push Pull Legs Workout?
The push pull legs routine, also known as PPL workout, is a simple training session where three types of workouts, push workout, pull workout and the legs workout, are done on separate days. Each of these routines focuses on different muscle groups in the body.
- The push workout is for the upper body motions of the shoulders, pecs, and triceps. It is more or less similar to the triceps and chest workouts.
- The focus of the pull workout is on the muscles involved in pulling actions of the upper body. So it is done to work on the biceps and back muscles. It is similar to the back and biceps routine.
- The legs workout trains the calves, quads, glutes, and hamstrings.
If you are wondering where the abs are trained in the push pull legs split, it is done indirectly when you do the compound lifting. You can also add more abs exercises to your home workout or gym workout at the end of your PPL split session.
Benefits of Push Pull Legs Workout
The push pull legs workout plan is very popular. The strongest athletes use this to build strength and muscle mass. If you too want to achieve your desired fitness goals quickly, the PPL split is ideal for you! Here are some of the push pull legs workout benefits:
1. No overlap
The major problem with a normal workout is over or under-stimulation. When there is overstimulation, there is no rest, and in under-stimulation, there is no muscle strength. The push pull legs workout is designed in such a way that there is no overlap when working on muscle groups, and there is ample rest for the muscles. For example, there is no worry of sore biceps impacting chest workouts or sore legs affecting quadriceps workouts.
2. Builds muscle mass and strength
When you pick the right set of push pull legs exercises, it can be used to achieve any goal. It can help to increase strength, muscle mass, or lose weight.
3. Training can be customised
The push pull legs exercises are extremely versatile as there are many different versions of them. You can customise these push pull legs split and the training frequency. Further, the workouts can be split based on individual body parts.
4. Focus on weaker muscles
One of the greatest push pull legs workout benefits is letting you work slowly on the weakest muscle groups. What you have to do is reduce the number of reps on the weaker parts and increase it on the body parts that are stronger.
5. Keeps the elbows pain-free
One of the common problems for powerlifters and bodybuilders is their elbows are tired and fatigued from lifting all those weights. However, one of the main advantages of a push pull legs workout is that it keeps the elbows healthy and strong.
5 Days Push Pull Leg Workout Routine
The below is a sample PPL workout that can be done with a rest day included in between. Perform 12 reps of each exercise for 4 sets with rest for about 2 minutes after each set if you are an advanced trainer. However, push pull legs workout for beginners can be reduced to 8 reps for 3 sets with a break of 3 minutes between each set.
Day 1: Push Workout
- Shoulder press with dumbbell
- Bench press
- Inclined chest press with dumbbell
- Incline chest fly using a dumbbell
- Lateral shoulder raises using a dumbbell
- Tricep dips using bodyweight
- Triceps pushdown using cable rope
Day 3: Pull Workout
- Barbell row
- Pulldown using cable
- Face pulls
- Bicep curls using a barbell
- Shrugs with dumbbells
Day 5: Legs
- Backsquat using barbell
- Romanian Deadlift
- Leg extensions
- Leg press
- Hamstring leg curls
- Calf raises using a dumbbell
- Leg raise using an overhead bar
Who should do Push Pull Legs Workout?
Push pull legs workout for beginners is quite tricky as they need more muscle strength and needs to be done carefully. However, it is ideal for intermediate and advanced trainees. They can do routine training that spans three or four days a week. Stick to this plan for a minimum of six months to see any progress. Sometimes just to add more variety, alternate between a push-pull leg split with upper or lower splits to get all the advantages that these exercises offer. If done diligently best push pull legs workout gives you great results.
Things to keep in mind while doing a Push Pull Leg Workout
Here are some of the factors to bear in mind even if you are doing the best push pull legs workout.
- Use proper weights so that you can perform the required number of repetitions. If you cannot maintain proper form, say by the 10th repetition, that means the weight is heavy. On the contrary, if you can do the 10th repetition, easily add more weights.
- Include more variety in your plan so that the different muscle groups are stimulated differently. For example, use a strength bar instead of a rope cable for the triceps and vice versa.
- Take proper care of your nutrition and sleep. If you are not having a healthy diet or not getting good sleep, you are at risk of injury or sickness. Include fresh fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy, legumes, and nuts in your diet. Avoid processed foods as they are rich in sugar.
A push-pull legs workout is focused on muscle groups that do similar actions. This training routine can be performed by trainees of all stages and experience, and aids muscle recovery as the training is split. If you are not confident of the form or are worried about getting injured, take the help of a trainer.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Akarna Dhanurasan | Chandrasana Steps | Bad Padmasana | Chakrasana Beginners |Benefits Of Raja Yoga | Lotus Pose Steps | Steps Of Naukasana | Urdhva Vajrasana | Trapezitis Definition | Upavistha Asana | Benefits Of Virasana | Nidrasana Yoga | Ardha Navasana Benefits | Parsvottanasana Meaning | Fun Facts About Meditation | Hatha Yoga Beginner Poses | Benefits Of Salabhasana | Uttanapadasana Benefits | Is Yoga Spiritual | Jnana Yoga Adalah
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Pullover Exercise Back | Chest And Back Superset | Standing Bicycle Exercise | Cable Fly Chest Workout | What Is Free Hand Exercise | Exercise For Fat Hands | Bunny Hop Exercise | Jumping Jacks Side Effects | Lateral Lunges | Front Split Stretches | Leg Curling Exercise | Stand Exercise For Belly Fat | Sumo Squat Workout | Knock Knees Treatment Exercise
Top Search Terms Fitness
How To Grow Beard Naturally At Home Faster | Weight Loss Breakfast | How To Inculcate The Habit Of Reading | Beard Growth Home Remedies | How To Sit In Ardha Siddhasana | How To Do Anulom Vilom And Its Benefits | How To Do Trikonasana And Its Benefits | Procedure And Benefits Of Garudasana | Home Back Workout With Dumbbells | Best Cardio Exercises For Belly Fat |Middle Chest Cable Workout | Chest Workout For Men At Gym | Yoga Asanas For Flat Stomach | Meditation For Mental Peace | Yoga For Buttocks And Thigh | Revolved Triangle Yoga Pose | How To Do Shanmukhi Mudra