Strong legs support a strong body, so it is vital to strengthen them. So it means it is essential to include a workout for legs into your exercise regimen to improve your overall health. However, it is tempting to skip leg workouts at the gym or home as no one likes the pain that follows. Or maybe your focus is too much on the upper body and the core. Whatever it is, is important to include these workouts for legs at the gym to strengthen them.
What is the 8 best workout for legs at the gym?
1) Forward bend
This is one of the easy leg workouts at the gym that acts as a warm-up for the rest of the exercises for the day. The best part is that it can be part of at home leg workouts as it needs no equipment and be done anywhere.
How to do Forward bend:
- Start with your feet on the ground that is apart by hip-width.
- Bend at the hips with both knees bent slightly.
- The chest is placed on the upper thighs and the head should be towards the ground.
- The hips should be placed over the feet and the quads engaged.
- Slowly straighten the legs without locking the knees.
- Hold for 8 to 10 breaths
2) Leg press
This is one of the common gym leg workouts especially those into bodybuilding. It works wonders on the hamstrings, glutes, and quads. If you are a beginner start with lower weights and then add more weight as you progress.
How to do Leg press:
- Set the press machine weights before you start.
- Sit down on the cushion and press the footplate with your feet,
- The lower back should be firmly pressed against the bench and the chest kept high.
- Bend the knees and slowly and steadily move the platform to the top.
- Repeat these leg workouts at the gym for 3 sets for 6 reps each. Take a break between sets if needed.
3) Leg extension
This is among leg day exercises in the gym that is simple to do but extremely effective. The quads are isolated and get a good stretch with this exercise, but one has to start with light weights to avoid the risk of a knee injury.
How to do Leg extension:
- This is done on a leg extension machine.
- Sit on the machine with a straight back.
- Place the pads so that it is on the shins.
- Extend the legs forward while holding the sidebars for support.
- Use the quads to move the pads up and down.
- Repeat for 3 sets of 6 reps each.
4) Calf raises with weights
This is another simple exercise that should be part of your leg day gym workout routine to work on the calves. This is a must-have exercise as it targets muscles that are not easy to work out but an absolute must if you are a sportsperson or a runner. The best part is that it is can be among leg workouts at the gym or can be done while waiting for the kettle to whistle.
How to do Calf raises with weights:
- Start with your feet slightly wide or shoulder-width apart.
- Hold a dumbbell or any other weight on each of your hands.
- Push your feet so that you are on your toes with heels raised above the ground.
- Lower it back to the ground.
- To add more challenge to your leg day exercises in the gym increase the weights or if you are a beginner do it without any weights.
5) Barbell squats
This is considered the best gym leg workout for those who are looking to strengthen their glutes and legs. It works on the calves, hamstrings, quads, and core.
How to do Barbell squats:
- Start the barbell exercise with a lower weight.
- Place your feet shoulder wide with the toes pointed forward.
- Keep the core engaged and the head neutral.
- Lower your body as if you are seated on a chair so that the thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Push the weight up from this position and bring it back to the start.
- Do 4 sets of 6 reps each taking a 60-second break between the sets.
- If you are adding more weights reduce the reps in each set.
6) Bulgarian split squat
This is a leg day gym workout that can challenge your stability. It works great on the core as well as the legs. Compared to the lunge which it resembles, it acts on muscle fibers and targets the same muscle groups. Start this workout without any weights and as you progress add weights.
How to do Bulgarian split squat:
- Stand facing away in front of a bench or a TRX handle.
- Lift the left leg behind you and place it inside the TRX handle or the top of the bench.
- Bend slightly at the waist and lower down to bend the knee.
- Push the left foot to get back to the start position.
7) Reverse lunges
This is among the most effective leg exercises for the gym and is done only with some dumbbells. It is a good exercise to learn and perform proper lunge positioning.
How to do Reverse lunges:
- Stand on the floor with feet together and with a dumbbell in both hands.
- Put the left foot back and lower the body until the right thing is parallel to the ground and is nearly touching the floor.
- Hold in this position for a few breaths, rise, and get back to the start position.
- Do this for 10 reps on each leg and switch legs.
- Repeat this best gym leg workout for 4 sets with a small break in between sets if required.
It is one of the basic leg exercises for the gym but it is important to do it with proper posture as it can prevent injury. So if you are new to exercises, then it is best to have the form checked by the trainer if possible.
How to do Deadlift:
- Stand with the feet shoulder wide.
- Place the bar in front of the ground.
- Reach for it and grasp with hands by placing them wider than the legs.
- Drive the hips to lift the bar forward.
- Lower it back all the while keeping the back straight.
When it comes to leg workouts at the gym, the simple ones are the most effective. So include the lunges, squats, and deadlifts as part of your gym leg workouts. These focus on the major muscle groups like the calves, quads, hamstrings, and glutes. Once you have these mastered, there are many variations of these that can be included in leg day exercises in the gym to add challenge.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Mudrasana | Skandasana | Yoni Mudra | Parvat Aasan | Balayam Yoga | Chakrasana Benefits | Vakrasana Steps | Dandasana Benefits | Shambhavi Mudra | Mayurasana Means | Siddhasana Benefits | Naukasana Benefits | Bakasana Benefits | Om Meditation | Mandukasana Benefits | Padahastasana Benefits | Uttanpadasana Benefits | Akarna Dhanurasan | Vayu Mudra Benefits | Surya Mudra Benefits | Apana Vayu Mudra | Prana Mudra Benefits | Benefits Of Virasana | Mudra For Hair Growth | Types Of Pranayama | Supta Vajrasana Benefits | Khechari Mudra Benefits
Top Search Terms For Exercises
High Knees | Barbel Curl | Snatch Workout | Seated Leg Curl | Kickbacks Exercise | Dumbbell Pullover | Freehand Exercise | Cat Camel Exercise | Seated Row Exercise | Russian Twist Benefits | Exercises For Hand Fat | Can Skipping Increase Height | Exercise To Reduce Thigh And Hip Fat | Some Exercise To Increase Height
Top Search Terms For Fitness
Trapezitis Treatment | Benefits Of Padmasana | Benefits Of Gomukhasana | Garudasana Yoga Pose | Benefits Of Gyan Mudra | Benefits Of Crocodile Pose | Ashwini Mudra Benefits | Ardha Chandrasana Benefits | Does Mango Cause Pimples | Kurmasana Benefits And Precautions