When it comes to strength training, there is no right answer to which weights are the best. But it is not wrong to say that kettlebells are probably the most under-appreciated equipment. These free weights do not get enough attention, especially when dumbbells enter the picture. To give kettlebells their much-needed position, we have gathered some of the best kettlebell exercises. Try them with a perfect technique and you will realize what you were missing. But before that, let’s dive a bit into the advantages and benefits of a kettlebell workout.
Benefits of Kettlebell Exercises
You can use kettlebells for almost anything – from HIIT workouts to low-impact swings and squats. Here are some other kettlebell exercise benefits you can get while doing this workout at home or gym:
- Suitable For All: They are good for beginners as well as advanced-level fitness enthusiasts. For instance, if you are a beginner, you can try kettlebell exercises with light weights such as swings or the squat. For advanced level, try bench press or overhead press.
- Great Combination of Strength and Cardio: A kettlebell workout lets you practice ballistic exercises that require a combination of strength, cardio, and flexibility. You can also improve your range of motion and use a kettlebell for any weight loss exercise.
- Boosts Your Functional Strength: Whether you do a kettlebell chest workout or for any other body part, you can still target more than one muscle. For instance, if you do a Russian twist with a kettlebell, you can work on your back and core while also improving your posture and ability to lift heavy items.
- Compact and Portable: You cannot ignore the fact that you can easily do beginner kettlebell workout even at home since these weights are compact and easy to carry.
Other than these, kettlebell exercise benefits your muscles and helps you get a strong and toned body. You can also include kettlebell exercises in your weight management workout.
Top 5 Kettlebell Exercises And How To Do Them
1. Kettlebell Swing
This is probably the best beginner kettlebell workout that will unlock a range of benefits such as boosting your muscles strength, improving muscle hypotrophy, etc., Once you have mastered the basic kettlebell swing, you can move to its variations or alternative to make things more challenging.
How to do it?
- Stand straight with your legs set wider than shoulder-width.
- Bend and grab the kettlebell with your hands.
- Straighten your back as you swing the weight back up to your shoulder height.
- Swing again and return to the starting position.
- This is one rep. Do 2-3 sets of 10-15 reps.
2. Kettlebell Goblet Squat
If you want to start kettlebell leg workout, a goblet squat should definitely be a part of your list. The exercise also helps in burning the fat in the belly area. It can also help you in getting a stronger lower body and athletic body.
How do to it?
- Stand straight with legs slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Grab the kettlebell in each of your hands and keep them in front of your hands. Your palms should be facing each other.
- Inhale and bend your knees to lower your body into a squat position. Keep your back straight.
- Engage your core muscles as you go up.
- This is one rep. Do 3-5 sets of 8-10 reps.
3. Kettlebell Thrusters
As mentioned, the best kettlebell exercise is often a full-body workout. Kettlebell thrusters workout is a good example of that. It is a compound exercise that has a combination of squat or shoulder press. This means it can be used as both kettlebell chest workout or one for your lower body. It can increase your heart rate and burn calories as well.
How To Do It?
- Stand straight while holding a kettlebell with both your hands. Keep the kettlebell at chest height with your elbows close to the rib cage. You can also use two kettlebells in each hand and put them near your shoulders. Your legs should be slightly wide than shoulder-distance and back straight.
- Now, slightly bend the knees to lower your body in a squat.
- Hold the pose for a second and push the body upwards by straightening your legs. Simultaneously extend your arms to thrust the kettlebell/s above your head.
- Squat down again as you lower your hands.
- This is one rep. Perform 2-3 sets of 10-15 repetitions.
4. Kettlebell Farmer's Walk
Not all kettlebell exercises require you to squeeze your muscles and push them too hard. There are some wherein you will just have to hold the kettlebell and perform basic movements. A kettlebell farmers’ walk is one such exercise. This kettlebell workout can improve your grip strength, condition your muscles, and accelerate fat loss.
How to do it?
- Select the right weights and hold the kettlebells in each of your hands.
- Engage your core and arm muscles as you start walking. Take quick and fast steps.
- Walk a while and turn back and walk again.
- Try this workout for one minute.
5. Figure of Eight
Figure-of-eight has to be the best kettlebell exercise as it works on several muscle groups at the same time. In short, it is both a kettlebell arm workout and a kettlebell leg workout. If you are doing it for the first time, use a smaller kettlebell. Increase the size once you are comfortable with this exercise. Figure-of-eight is a great workout to enhance your overall strength and power while also improving your functional strength.
How to do it?
- Stand straight with your legs placed just a little beyond shoulder or hip-width apart Hold the kettlebell with both your hands on the floor out front.
- Bend your knees to lower yourself to a quarter squat position. Don’t bend your back.
- Now, shift the kettlebell to your right hand and swing it outside your right leg before threading it back through your legs.
- Switch the hands and grab the kettlebell with your left hand, and then swing it again around the left leg and back between your legs once again.
- This is one rep. Try this at least 12-15 times.
Try these kettlebell exercises today and get started with your workout. If you are a beginner, we would suggest you get guidance from a gym instructor. You can also join online fitness classes and learn the workout at home.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Anger Pose | Bhujangasana | Is Yoga Spiritual | Dandasana Benefits | Bakasana Definition | What Is Khechari Mudra | About Gomukhasana | Akarna Dhanurasana | Benefits Of Pran Mudra | Vakrasana Precautions | Padahastasana Meaning | 8 Types Of Pranayama | Benefits Of Vayu Mudra | Ashwini Mudra For Piles | Balayam Exercise Benefits | Advantages Of Balasana | Best Mudra For Anxiety | Uttana Padasana Steps | Baddha Padmasana Benefits | Yoga To Reduce Belly Fat | Garudasana Technique | Information About Mayurasana
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Swimming | Barbell Curl | Barbell Shrugs | Cable Kickbacks | Landmine Press | Best Back Workouts | Cable Fly For Chest | Bridge Exercise Benefits | Inside Chest Workouts | Jawline Face Exercises | Arnold Press On Bench | Oblique Crunches Benefits | Dumbbell Pullover Benefits | Forearm Exercises At Home | Inner Thigh Exercise For Men | Exercise Crunches For Beginners | Can Skipping Increase Weight
Top Search Terms Fitness
Chronic Trapezitis | How To Do Leg Split | How To Do Shambhavi Mahamudra | Apan Vayu Mudra Blood Pressure | Can I Do Yoga Nidra Before Sleep | How To Regulate Periods With Yoga | Explain Any Two Benefits Of Parvatasana | Dark Circles Under Eyes Causes And Treatment | 5 Frozen Shoulder Exercises For Quick Relief | Exercises To Get Rid Of Bat Wings At Home | How To Do Jump Squats To Increase Height