What is a Frittata?
The frittata recipe is an Italian breakfast dish and closely resembles an omelette. It is usually made with cooked vegetables and fried until the eggs are set and then it is finished in an oven. It can also be made from any ingredients you have in your kitchen with various versions of frittata recipes varying from vegan, all-veg, seafood, chopped meat, or a combination of many things.
What is the difference between Omelettes and Frittatas?
Many people get confused between Fluffy Omelette and frittata as both are egg-based dishes and both are extremely versatile cooked with similar ingredients. Both dishes mainly started off as breakfast dishes but they can be had as a main dish for lunch or dinner. The similarities end there as the frittata recipe is different from the omelettes recipe. Here are the differences between them:
- The major difference between a frittata recipe and an omelette recipe is that in an omelette, the cooked egg is folded while in the frittata it is not.
- The eggs are whisked until it gets blended before it is cooked on a stove in an omelette. On the other hand, in a frittata, it is rigorously whisked to a point where it becomes custard-life consistency.
- When it comes to the way it is cooked, the omelette is cooked only on the underside whereas in a frittata it is cooked on both sides.
- The cooking methodology is also different, the frittata is slow-cooked while the omelette is quickly cooked on higher heat.
- Another major difference between frittatas and omelettes is that an omelette is flat and is kind of an egg pancake with the filings tucked inside like a parcel and then folded. A frittata is much thicker than an omelette and can fill up about two to three inches of fillings like leeks, potatoes, sausages, etc, and is a deep dish like a pizza.
- Frittatas are usually made as a brunch option for larger groups or get-togethers and can be made well ahead and had at room-temperature. The omelette has to be served hot, it usually goes from the stove to the eating plate.
- The frittatas are called egg-pizzas and can be cut into pieces and a single frittata can be divided into large groups. The omelette is a single portion and serves one.
What is the Origin of Frittata?
There are many different versions of the frittata recipe and are dependent on the location it is made. But have you ever wondered what is the origin of this yummy dish?A frittata is an egg-based dish made from vegetables, cheese, and meat and originated in Italy. It can be thought of as an Italian Omelette and the word is derived from the word Friggere which means fried in Italy. It was the common way to describe any egg-dish that is cooked in a pan with butter or oil. Surprisingly, this dish cannot be found in any restaurant in Italy as the frittata recipe originated in the homes of this country. Are you wondering if the frittata recipe easy to prepare? Well, it is very easy with a little practice. It was invented to make when there is less time or It was made when there was no grocery. The frittata was made from left-over stuff like pasta and vegetables. In fact, over time, a portion of the pasta or left-overs were kept-aside to make a frittata. Outside of Italy, until the mid-1950s, it was equivalent to the omelette. Over the past fifty years, the frittata recipe has evolved and there are distinct variations of the Egg Frittata. But irrespective of the different versions there is always one ingredient which is combined with beaten raw egg mixture, slow-cooked on both sides. In Italy, frittata recipe breakfast is no longer only for breakfast but also before lunch or dinner.
Tasty Frittata Recipes
Traditional Italian Potato frittata
This is one of the most traditional Italian recipes which is made from simple ingredients. This frittata recipe with potatoes is easy to make and takes less than 30 minutes and can be paired with a green salad to make a meal. Frittata recipe in oven is also similar but instead of cooking on the stovetop, it is baked in the oven.Ingredients
- Large potatoes
- Parmesan cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes. In a pot boil water and add these diced potatoes into it and boil until it is tender.
- In another bowl whisk the eggs by adding parsley and cheese until the mixture is combined properly.
- The frittata recipe should be whisked vigorously and generously to get the desired fluffiness.
- To this mixture add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- The frittata mixture is now ready for frying. A key thing to note is that the pan should be hot and non-stick.
- Apply extra-virgin olive oil on a skillet and heat over medium flame.
- Pour the mixture and cook, placing the lid on it for about 5 minutes while shaking the pan once in a while.
- Check if the surface is cooked through, if yes then it is ready for the next step.
- Use a spatula to separate the underside of the frittata from the skillet, quickly flip over so that the other side is now on the flame. Cook this portion without a lid.
- Now transfer it onto the serving plate.
- If you want a traditional frittata recipe vegan, then you can skip adding the parmesan cheese to the eggs.
- Instead of flipping the frittata and cooking the other side on the skillet to finish off, you can broil it in the oven for a few minutes.
- Mini-frittatas can also be made by pouring the egg mixture into a muffin cup and baking. It makes for one of the healthy recipes for dinner parties.
- You can add thinly sliced red onions to the frittata mixture, though it is not added in the traditional recipes.
Simple Baked Frittata Recipe
People these days are always looking for easy but healthy recipes. This baked frittata recipe is one such recipe. Ingredients
- Turkish eggs or eggs of your choice
- Vegetables (Vegan Frittata) or meat of your choice, salt, pepper, and spices you want to use.
- A few teaspoons of milk
StepsThis is among the best frittata recipes you can lay your hands on as it is an egg frittata recipe that is baked.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a baking dish line the pan with parchment paper.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, cheese, milk, veggies or meat, salt, pepper, and other spices.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and bake for 25 minutes or until it is golden and fluffy.
General Frittata tips
- Though the traditional recipe does not use milk, the best frittata recipe is the one that is made using full-fat dairy. Using anything other than that makes it watery, less creamy, and gives the dish an egg flavour which is not what an ideal dish would have.
- Pre-cook the meat or vegetables by steaming, roasting or sauteing and use a lot of filling to make the frittata recipe healthy. The filling should be seasoned and tender and raw should be avoided as it makes the frittata mixture watery.
- Adding cheese makes for a frittata recipe healthy for kids but also helps to give a great flavour.
- The egg frittata that you make should not be overcooked, bake it until the eggs and puffed and the centre is jiggly. Overcooking makes it dry and spongy.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Akarna | Bakasana | Apan Vayu | Vakrasana | Prana Mudra | Anxiety Mudra | Ashwini Mudra | Bad Padmasana | Khechari Mudra | Balayam Benefits | About Garudasana | About Bhujangasana | How To Do Mayurasana | Bow Yoga Pose | Anger Control Yoga | Parvatasana Benefits | Yoga To Lose Belly Fat | Vayu Mudra Benefits | Benefits Of Doing Yoga | Benefits Of Dandasana | Padahastasana Benefits | Benefits Of Yoga Spiritually | 5 Benefits Of Balasana | Shambhavi Mahamudra Steps
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Barbel Curl | Arrow Shrugs | Kickback Exercise | Crunches Exercise | Cult Fit Swimming | Arnold Press Benefits | Best Cable Chest Exercises | Jaw Exercises For Jawline | Chest Exercises For Men | Dumbbell Forearm Exercises | Arm Wing Workout | Benefits Of Bridge Exercise | Back Superset Workout | Cable Pullover For Chest | How To Do Oblique Crunches | Easy Exercises To Increase Height
Top Search Terms Fitness
Trapezitis | Kapalbhati For Irregular Periods | Dark Circles Cause | Different Kinds Of Splits | 2 Benefits Of Gomukhasana | Barbell Landmine Shoulder Press | Procedure Of Uttanpadasana | Pranayama Types And Benefits | Band Workout For Inner Thighs | 5 Frozen Shoulder Exercises For Quick Relief | Can Skipping Help In Increasing Height