What is khichdi?
Too tired to cook? Craving something healthy yet delicious? Want to have a light meal after the gym? Almost every time, the first thing that comes to our mind is lets make khichdi!Not many of us know that the humble bowl of khichdi has been around since almost 1350 and finds a mention in the writings of the Moroccan traveller Ibn Battuta. He explained it as a kishri or khichdi recipe that was a dish of mung beans and rice. Khichdi also makes an appearance in Mughal documents dating to the 15th-century, since it was extremely popular with the Mughals. They enjoyed khichdi recipes in several variants with ingredients like raisins, pistachios, fish, boiled eggs, almonds, etc. The word khichdi is derived from the Sanskrit name kiccha that means a dish of legumes and rice. Almost every state in India has adopted this wonderful food and localised it with their native ingredients. Whats more, khichdi is also now a popular packaged food available in supermarkets not only in India but also around the world.
What are the health benefits of khichdi?
You will be surprised to know the tremendous health benefits that a bowl of khichdi has, making it almost a superfood.
Some of the most important khichdi benefits:
- The simple composition of rice and lentils in khichdi has vitamin B, potassium, phosphorus, folic acid, manganese, and all the essential amino acids.
- When made with spices like turmeric, khichdi lends anti-inflammatory benefits. This khichdi recipe also helps in treating respiratory issues, allergies, rheumatism, diabetic wounds, etc.
- A khichdi recipe with lentils lowers blood glucose levels, which is especially beneficial for people with diabetes.
- Khichdi is gluten-free, which makes it beneficial for people suffering from celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.
- As per ancient Ayurveda, khichdi is a perfect detox food. It helps balance the body elements and soothes the digestive system. It is especially to be taken when you suffer from gastrointestinal issues like bloat, gas, diarrhea, etc.
- A khichdi recipe with ghee helps in providing macronutrients, complex carbs, and good fats. All of these help in muscle strengthening, improving immunity, and lubricating our joints.
- Khichdi made with lentils is rich in polyphenols that strengthen our cardiovascular system by lowering cholesterol and triglyceride levels. One of the most important khichdi benefits is that it helps in preventing heart attacks, arrhythmia, etc.
- Vegetable khichdi is not only easy to prepare but also digestible. Anyone, be it a toddler or an adult, when feeling under the weather can be cured by a bowl of this simple food.
- Vegetable khichdi is a good source of several vitamins and minerals, provides fibre, and helps in providing antioxidants to us to fight off diseases.
The ten best recipes of khichdi to keep you nourished this season
Khichdi is an amazingly versatile food that can be made into hundreds of variations! Many of us wonder khichdi kaisey banatey hain! We are answering this question of khichdi kaisey banatey hain in ten delicious ways, solving your khichdi banane ki recipe dilemma:
- Basic Khichdi Recipe: This is the easiest recipe of moong dal khichdi and you will find hundreds of khichdi recipe videos on it. This is made by sauting bay leaves, cumin seeds, ginger, and asafoetida in ghee. Add chopped onions, tomatoes, turmeric, salt, and green chillies. Add drained rice & moong dal and fry for 3-4 minutes. Pour 3-4 cups of water and pressure cook. Serve with ghee and pickle.
- Masala Khichdi recipe: To make masala khichdi, saut bay leaf, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin, and asafoetida in ghee. Add onions, green chillies, tomatoes, and ginger-garlic paste along with turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala, and salt. Add rice, moong dal, coriander leaves, and 3 cups water and pressure cook. Serve with curd and pickle.
- Vegetable Khichdi Recipe: This vegetable khichdi recipe is one of the easiest recipes to prepare. Saute cumin seeds, cloves, bay leaves, cinnamon, curry leaves, onions, green peas, potatoes, carrots, French beans, and saut for 2-3 minutes. Add soaked rice, mung dal, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt, and saut. Boil for 15 minutes. Make this vegetable khichdi recipe even more delicious by garnishing it with fried onions.
- Gujarati Khichdi recipe: Also known as Vaghareli Khichdi, Gujarati khichdi is a lovely mix of spicy comfort. Pressure to cook rice and moong dal with water, turmeric powder, and salt. For the tempering, saut mustard seeds, cumin seeds, garlic cloves, curry leaves, and coriander powder. Pour this tempering over the khichdi and serve with kadhi.
- Daliya Khichdi recipe: Saute cumin, hing, ginger, red chilli powder, and bay leaf in ghee with tomatoes, green chillies, onions, turmeric, and salt. Add capsicum, peas, and French beans. Add soaked daliya and moong dal and cook for 3-5 minutes. Serve daliya khichdi with papad and pickle.
- Sabudana Khichdi recipe: To make this delicious Maharashtrian-style khichdi, saut cumin seeds, curry leaves, ginger, green chillies, and boiled potatoes. Add drained sabudana, crushed peanuts, rock salt, grated coconut, and saut on high flame. Serve garnished with coriander leaves.
- Masala Red Rice Khichdi Recipe: In a pan add salt, green chillies, garlic, tomatoes, and saut. Add green peas, salt, coriander powder, red chilli powder, chana masala, ginger-garlic paste, lemon juice, salt, and cook lightly. Add cooked red rice, masoor dal, and green moong dal. Garnish with chopped coriander and green chillies and serve.
- Multigrain Palak Khichdi: Cook soaked barley, broken wheat, quinoa, millet, moong dal, and rice for 25 minutes. Heat oil and add green chillies, dry peanuts, elaichi, and peppercorn. In a pan add garlic, cumin seeds, hing, chopped onions, tomatoes, garam masala, turmeric, spinach puree, and cooked grains. Garnish with roasted peanuts and serve hot.
- High-protein quinoa khichdi: Saute bay leaf, cumin seeds, hing, onion, ginger, garlic, tomato, carrots, peas, and cooked moong dal, quinoa, masoor dal, turmeric powder, salt, water and cook. Serve drizzled with lemon juice.
- Corn khichdi: Saute cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves, red chillies, cardamom, corn, peas, and cook for 5 minutes. Add cooked rice, ginger paste, green chillies, sugar, garam masala, turmeric, salt, and water to cook for 5 minutes. Served with chopped onions.