There is something about warm afternoons and elaborate and relaxed lunches!Lunch is probably the most awaited time of our day. This is when almost half the day has passed with most of our chores over and we look forward to sitting down for a relaxed meal to charge and even treat ourselves. Those who work in offices mingle over food with their colleagues, friends catch up over lunch, and for people at home, it is me time to recharge for the rest of the day.With our busy schedules and paucity of time, we are always looking for lunch ideas that get made in a jiffy. While there are a lot of options of lunch dishes available for takeaway, these do nothing for your health. Just be a little creative and you can make amazing lunch recipes quick too at home.
What does a hearty lunch do?
A lunch recipe, easy to cook and made with fresh ingredients works the best for your energy levels and health. Here is a quick roundup of the benefits of having homemade lunch dishes:
- When you eat lunch, it helps avoid overeating at dinner time and boosts our metabolism, helping in losing weight.
- A lunch recipe that has fruits, vegetables, grains, etc. provides you with the nutrients necessary for a healthy mind and body. This helps in preventing several diseases and enables the absorption of nutrients.
- Your lunch supplies your brain with the glucose that it needs every 5-6 hours for energy.
- A light lunch recipe with good company makes you feel lighter, refreshed, and happier. This increases your creativity and productivity at home and work.
Which are some of the best lunch recipes that I can try?
We have put together lunch ideas that will suit every palate. Whats more, these lunch recipes are easy to make and super-healthy too!Here are some ideas for lunch recipes:
- Bajra and Cauliflower Roti: One of the easiest lunch recipes, this is made by grating cauliflower and spring onions and combining them with chopped coriander, ginger-garlic paste, and salt. Mix bajra flour in this and knead. Roll out into rotis. Cook on both sides in ghee on a tawa. Serve this delicious lunch recipe hot with curd and pickles.
- Egg Salad Sandwich: This healthy lunch is as delicious as it is filling. Mash a boiled egg and mix in celery, onion, mayonnaise, and onion. Add salt, pepper, and curry powder. Toast two bread slices and place a lettuce leaf on one slice. Spread the egg mixture on it and add a cheese slice and cover it with the other slice. Enjoy this lunch recipe hot.
- Quinoa Pesto Buddha Bowl: This is one of the best healthy lunch recipes and easy to make. To make this lunch recipe easy and quick, cook quinoa with a little salt. Add chopped garlic, oil, salt, and black pepper to boiled sweet potato and zucchini. Grill these till they turn crunchy. Blend parsley, garlic cloves, cashew nut, salt, pepper, and olive oil to get a coarse dressing. Assemble the bowl with boiled chickpea paste, grilled sweet potato, zucchini, lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Top these with avocado slices and the dressing. Serve this lunch recipe topped with sesame seeds.
- Pumpkin Sabzi: This is one of the most delicious lunch recipes, quick and healthy too. To make this lunch recipe, saut cumin, methi, asafoetida, green chillies, and ginger paste. Add pumpkin cubes, salt, and water and cook for 10 minutes till the pumpkin gets soft. Add jaggery, amchur, and a little more water. Mix well until the pumpkin absorbs the flavours. Garnish this lunch recipe with coriander leaves and enjoy with hot rotis.
- Moong Dal Khichdi: This hearty and comforting dish is also one of the easiest to make lunch recipes at home. To make this lunch recipe easy and quick, soak moong dal overnight in water. Combine this with salt, and water, and pressure cook. Make the tempering by cooking cumin seeds, asafoetida, and turmeric powder in ghee. Top the khichdi with the tempering and cook for 4-5 minutes. Serve this lunch recipe hot with curd.
- Tomato Rice: One of the best ideas for lunch recipes, this delicately flavoured dish is super healthy too. To make this lunch recipe, splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, chana dal, fenugreek, cinnamon, cloves, curry leaves, and cashews. Add onions, green chillies, ginger paste, and saut for a few more minutes. Add tomatoes and cook until they become soft. Add turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder, salt, and mint leaves. Add cooked rice and mix well. Serve this easy lunch recipe with raita.
- Aloo Matar: This is one of the best lunch recipes Indians prefer. To make this lunch recipe at home, blend chopped onion, tomatoes, ginger, and garlic into a smooth paste. Crackle cumin seeds and add this paste. Add a little almond powder and cook till the paste thickens. Add hing, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, peas, salt, and peeled potatoes. Cook this easy lunch recipe with water for 30 minutes and serve with roti.
- No-Cream Paneer Lababdar: One of the most delicious lunch recipes Indians prefer, make this by sauting bay leaf, cloves, green cardamom, onions, cashews, and cumin seeds. Add tomatoes and salt. Blend with a little water to make a smooth paste. In a pan, heat ginger-garlic paste in oil and add the masala along with paneer cubes. Cook for 10 minutes and serve this easy lunch recipe with rice.
- Aloo Fry: This is one of the quickest lunch recipes, easy to cook too, and is one of the lunch recipes Indians prefer the most. Saute potato cubes for 5-6 minutes and add turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin seeds, and salt, and saut. Add coriander and dried mango powder.
- Spinach Paratha: This is one of the most nutritious lunch recipes, easy to make too, and is one of the best ideas for lunch recipes for kids. To make this lunch recipe easy and quick, combine grated paneer, carrots, green chilli paste, coriander, salt, spinach puree, oil, and whole-wheat flour. Roll into paranthas and cook on a tawa. Serve with curd and pickle.