Supta Virasana is one of the most intense yoga poses that can stretch your leg muscles. It is especially beneficial for those who have tight thighs. Incorporating the Supta Virasana yoga in your daily routine can also impact your abdominal muscles.
So, if you have been looking for a yoga pose that can offer you a wide range of benefits while stretching the whole body, Supta Virasana should be on your list. In this article, you can learn how to do this pose easily along with the benefits it offers. But before that, let’s clear some basics:
What is Supta Virasana?
The word Supta Virasana comes from the Sanskrit language where Supta means “Supine or Reclining”, Vira means “Hero”, and Asana means “Pose”. This is why it is also known as Reclined Hero pose or Supine Hero pose in English.
This yoga is a variation of the Virasana pose in which you just have to sit while kneeling. While the pose seems easy, it can be done with people who have reached an intermediate level of yoga. It requires significant body flexibility. However, you can still try this yoga for beginners by using a few modifications. For instance, you can use pillows or blocks for support.
You can also try the following preparatory poses:
- Baddha Konasana
- Gomukhasana (leg position)
To learn more about these poses, talk to your yoga instructor or just watch the yoga videos online.
It is time to learn how to perform Reclining Hero pose while at home. Read the following steps carefully and follow them exactly as mentioned.
- Start the pose by coming in Virasana pose by kneeling on a yoga mat. Your back should be straight and your hands should rest comfortably on your thighs. The soles of your feet should be facing upwards and they should be on either side of your upper thighs.
- Now, bring your hands on the floor and walk them towards your hips as you bend your body backward.
- As you keep leaning back, bend your elbows and come on your forearms. Here, you can use blocks or blankets to support your spine as you lie back.
- Continue bending back until you reach the floor.
- In case you feel any pain in the lower back or knees, avoid going backwards and return to your forearms.
- Stay in the reclined pose for at least 5 to 10 deep breaths.
- To release the Supta Virasana pose, raise yourself with the help of your forearms and then return to the sitting position.
Mistakes To Avoid
Here are some common mistakes you should avoid while performing the Supta Virasana pose:
- Always keep the knees together and aligned. If they separate as you lean back, bring them back and ensure they stay together.
- Avoid overstretching your thighs if you notice any pain.
- Instead of using a yoga mat, use a soft blanket to get proper support.
Variations and Modifications
One of the best things about yoga poses is that you can always modify them or try different variations based on your needs and expertise. Here are some of the easy modifications and variations you can try:
To make Reclining Hero pose for beginners easy, you can modify it by:
- Using a yoga block under your hips to prevent it from raising off the ground
- Binding the knees with yoga straps to keep them together
- Using a bolster beneath your back to rest your neck and back comfortably
Here are some of the famous Supta Virasana variations to try:
- Supta Ardha Virasana
- Eka Pada Supta Virasna
- Supta Virasana Variation One Bent Leg Raised
To know more details about the variations and modifications, it is best to consult a yoga expert. Do not add them in your home workouts without consulting an expert first, especially if you are new to yoga.
Benefits Of Supta Virasana
One of the reasons why Supta Virasana is such a popular pose is its wide range of benefits. From improving body posture to treating sciatica pain, Supta Virasana benefits can solve plenty of health issues for you. Some of the best benefits are:
1. Stronger Muscles
Since Reclining Hero pose stretches muscles in the back, abdomen, legs, hips and, hands, it improves the blood flow and oxygen supply in these areas. This, in turn, helps in strengthening the muscles.
2. Better Flexibility
Supine Hero pose contracts your spinal muscles to boost flexibility. And when the flexibility increases, you can notice a decrease in the stiffness and pain in the back.
3. Improved Digestion
Your digestion can also increase with yoga. Reclining Hero pose exerts pressure on your abdominal muscles that stimulated the digestive juices. You can also improve your bowel movement with this pose.
4. Reduced Levels of Stress
Your mental health also improved with the regular practice of Supta Virasana. It is believed that yoga can significantly lower stress levels by increasing blood circulation and oxygen supply in the brain.
Here are some other benefits of Supta Virasana:
- Helps in reducing sciatica and arthritis pain
- Increases sexual performance by activating sexual organs
- Prevents cholesterol formation
- Alleviates the side-effects of long hours of standing
Safety and Precautions
Below are some safety precautions and tips you cannot ignore when planning to start Supta Virasana:
- Those who have back, ankle, or knee issues should stay away from this yoga.
- If you notice any sharp pain while doing the Supta Virasana, stop the asana and talk to a doctor if the pain still persists.
- If you notice foot cramps, try to curl the toes and tuck them under the foot to reduce the tension.
- Pregnant women should avoid this yoga as it stretches the abdominal muscles.
- Avoid eating heavy meals before the session.
- If you had a recent hip replacement surgery, do not perform Supta Virasana.
Supta Virasana is an effective yoga pose you must try and include in your daily routine. However, do not just start it without learning the right pose and form. For that, you can also take online yoga classes from top yoga experts. They can also teach you which poses should be paired with Supta Virasana to make your workout more effective and beneficial.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Shambhavi Mahamudra | How To Do Ashwini Mudra | Yoni Mudra Side Effects | Prithvi Mudra For Hair Growth | Vayu Mudra For Gas | Bhujangasana | Khechari Mudra Steps | Best Brain Exercises | Side Plank | Prana Vayu Mudra | Mudra For Anxiety | Mayurasana Steps | Balasana Steps | Makarasana Steps | Uttanasana Procedure | Vajrasana Strengthens | Yoga Mudrasana | Balayam Yoga Side Effects | Scorpion Position | Padmasana Steps | Yoga For Blood Circulation In Legs | Yin Yoga | Kriya Yoga Poses | Mantra Meditation Benefits
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Chiseled Body Workout | Hrithik Roshan Body Building Exercise | Benefits Of Superman Exercise | Sumo Deadlifts | Air Squat Exercise | Windshield Wiper Exercise | Glute Kickback Exercise | Box Jumps Benefits | Barbell Walking Lunges | Will Skipping Increase Height | Dragon Flag Abs | Types Of Pranayama With Pictures | Dumbbell Exercises For Beginners | Benefits Of Archer Push Ups
Search Terms For Fitness
Benefits Of Parvatasana | Bakasana Information In English | How Does Yoga Nidra Help Decrease Stress And Anxiety | Benefits Of Padahastasana | Vakrasana Benefits And Precautions | Mandukasana Benefits And Precautions | Benefits Of Gomukhasana | Dandasana Benefits | Yoga To Reduce Stress And Anger | Apan Vayu Mudra For Anxiety | Halasana Benefits | Benefits Of Vipassana Meditation