There is nothing more comforting than a big bowl of hearty vegetable soup or chicken soup on a rainy day. Studies say that humans have been eating soup for almost 20,000 years now! Soup recipes during those days consisted mostly of ingredients like meats, vegetables, herbs, nuts, etc. Soup began to be served in restaurants in Paris around the 16th-century and was advertised as a food to help recover from exhaustion. Soup gained popularity in America around the 17th-century with the arrival of immigrants and by the 18th-century, portable soup had been discovered. With industrialisation, canned and dried soups were invented and are now available everywhere in the world.
Which are the most popular types of soups?
Several types of soup recipes, hot and cold, have evolved around the world over the centuries. Here are some types of soups that are available around the world:
- Clear soup: Made by simmering meats or vegetables and is more of a transparent liquid and includes:
- Broth: A non-thickened stock-based soup, common in Greece, Southeast Asia, etc.
- Consomm: This type is clarified with egg whites, popular in France.
- Thick soup: Thickened using cream, flour, or cornstarch and includes:
- Puree: Made with pureed vegetables, popular in Sweden, Spain, Italy, etc.
- Cream: Thickened with chamel and cream, popular in Chile, Norway, France, etc.
- Bisque: Shellfish based soup, popular in France and Sweden.
- Chowder: Seafood-based soups thickened with potatoes and finished with milk or cream, popular in the Caribbean, Peru, and America.
What are the benefits of eating soup?
We have all grown up being told to eat soup when we were ill. They are so comforting and nourishing that we instantly feel better. Besides, soups are extremely easy to make when we are pressed for time. Here are some soup benefits:
- The ingredients used in soup recipes are mostly meats and veggies. These add fibres, vitamins, and minerals to your diet required for the healthy development of the body and preventing diseases.
- Soups are filling and help in inducing satiety. This helps in reducing binge eating and results in weight loss.
- Spices and herbs used in soup recipes are a great way to treat and prevent common infections like cold and flu.
- The fibrous ingredients of chicken soup and vegetable soup and spices like turmeric, asafoetida, etc. in soup recipes ensure the proper functioning of our digestive system and prevent insulin resistance, diarrhea, constipation, etc.
- Soups are the best way to consume bone broth that helps in improving immunity, bettering bone health, etc. since they are significantly rich in minerals, vitamins omega-3 & 6, chondroitin, etc.
Which are the best soup recipes?
Soups needn't always be under-the-weather meals. They can be fun too!Here are some of the best soup recipes that are easy to make:
1. Tomato soup:
Tomato soup is the most popular of all soups that are hearty and delicious. Follow this simple tomato soup recipe:
- Melt butter in a pan and add bay leaves until they turn brown. Add finely chopped onions and ginger and saut for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and salt and cook for 10 minutes till the tomatoes soften.
- Cool and blend.
- Pour this blend back in the pan and cook with water adding a little sugar.
- Serve this hearty tomato soup garnished with cream, coriander, and bread croutons.
2. Chilled peach soup:
This sweet and savoury fruit soup recipe is perfect for summers.
- In a bowl, combine peach schnapps, mint leaves, sugar, white wine, cinnamon and nutmeg powders, and cream, and stir well.
- Add sliced peaches and transfer to a pan.
- Cook until peaches are tender and blend.
- Serve chilled with fresh peach.
3. Creamy roasted basil tomato soup:
This delicious and comforting soup is loved for its creamy texture and garlicky flavour. Follow this easy tomato soup recipe:
- Roast halved tomatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper until they char.
- Saute onions, capsicum, potatoes till they are crispy. Stir in vegetable broth, tomato paste, and salt and bring to a boil.
- Add the roasted tomatoes, garlic, and basil and continue to simmer.
- Blend until smooth.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese, garlic flakes, and basil and serve.
4. Creamy cauliflower soup:
The perfect bowl to cosy up with, this is an easy soup recipe too.
- Saut onions for about 5 minutes and add minced garlic.
- Add chopped cauliflower, vegetable stock, and thyme till the cauliflower is tender.
- Puree until smooth.
- Stir in milk and Parmesan cheese.
- Serve hot seasoned with salt and pepper.
5. Broccoli soup:
Broccoli soup is amongst the healthiest soups that you enjoy. Follow this easy soup recipe:
- Boil broccoli florets till they are tender.
- Heat butter and add onions and garlic till they soften.
- Add flour and saut for 2 minutes.
- Add broccoli and vegetable stock and simmer.
- Blend until smooth, add hot milk, and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Serve broccoli soup seasoned with salt, black pepper, and nutmeg powder.
- You can add roasted almond slivers to make this into broccoli almond soup.
6. Manchow soup:
Manchow soup is flavourful, nourishing, and filling and can be easily made by following this soup recipe:
- Cook Hakka noodles and drain with cold water. Add cornflour and deep fry.
- Saut garlic, ginger, garlic, green chillies, cabbage, capsicum, beans, and coriander.
- Pour water and add salt.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, pepper powder, chilli sauce, cornflour until this mixture thickens.
- Garnish manchow soup with fried noodles and coriander.
7. Mexican bean soup:
This is one of the most popular vegetable soups and super-easy too! Follow this easy soup recipe:
- Saut garlic, spinach leaves, red bell peppers, tomatoes, capsicum, and oregano.
- Add cooked kidney beans with vegetable stock.
- Add salt, chilli powder, and cumin powder and simmer.
- Serve garnished with coriander and crumbled feta.
8. Tom Yum chicken soup:
This spicy and tangy chicken soup is loved for its light flavours.
- Boil ginger slices and chilli paste till you get a fragrant broth.
- Add mushrooms, bok choy, tomatoes, chilli, coriander, soy sauce, jaggery, and chicken breast pieces, and simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and continue simmering.
- Serve hot garnished with lemon juice.