There is hardly anyone in the world that doesn't love chocolate cake. The simple joy of eating a hearty slice of this decadent and delightful dessert cannot be explained. Whether it's being shared with friends, enjoyed in solitude as a little pick-me-up, or eatenx as a sneaky midnight snack, there is something about chocolate cake that makes us happy and better about ourselves. The history of chocolate cake goes back to 1764 when the process of making chocolate by grinding cocoa beans between two circular millstones was discovered. At this time, chocolate was mostly used to make drinks or as a solid snack. The process of conching developed in 1879 made it easy to bake with chocolate. But still, at that time, the chocolate cake was waiting to be created. Chocolate was only being used as a glaze or a filling. The first chocolate cake recipe appeared in an 1847 cookbook by Eliza Leslie. This chocolate cake recipe called for using grated chocolate or prepared cocoa. This also had ingredients like rose extract, vanilla extract, lemon oil, etc. that were used to flavour the icing. From then on, bakers began to add all sorts of twists to chocolate cake recipes. These included fillings, frostings, toppings, and much more. By the 1920s, the homemade chocolate cake was no longer that. It began to be sold in a ready-to-eat version right out from a box. This was followed by the release of a pre-made chocolate cake recipe mix by Betty Crocker, which let anyone, even children, bake their chocolate cake! How beloved this cake is, is evident from the fact that it even has a day dedicated to it. Every year, January 27th is celebrated as the Chocolate Cake Day.While the traditional chocolate cake recipe remains the all-time-favorite, people also enjoy this with unique chocolate cake ingredients like rum, coconut, peanuts, coffee, lemon, raspberry, orange, and much more.
Which are the best chocolate cake recipes?
Here are some of the best types of chocolate cake that not only taste heavenly but are easy to make too:
1. Traditional chocolate cake:
This is the easiest homemade chocolate cake recipe that's super moist and delicious.
- Sieve plain flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder and keep aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix butter and sugar in a bowl with a spatula till you get a creamy consistency.
- Add eggs one at a time and fold them in gently.
- Add the flour and cocoa powder mixture along with vanilla extract and mix gently.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C for around 30 minutes.
- Keep the cake aside to cool before demoulding. This homemade chocolate cake recipe is amongst the most popular.
2. Apple cake:
This is one of those easy chocolate cake recipes that let you make a deep-flavoured, rich, and moist cake. The surprise here is the use of apples as a chocolate cake ingredient that gives it a wonderful flavour.
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees and spray with butter or vegetable oil.
- In a bowl, stir in all-purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk in sugar, melted butter, buttermilk, and vanilla essence and stir till you get a smooth mixture.
- Add to this the flour and cocoa powder mixture.
- Finally stir in shredded apples and chocolate chips.
- Spread this batter evenly into the baking tray and bake for around 30 minutes.
- Let it cook before demoulding and slicing.
- Serve this homemade chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream or enjoy on its own.
3. Chocolate mug cake:
This easy chocolate cake recipe gets ready in less than 10 minutes and makes for a great midnight dessert treat, making it amongst the most popular types of chocolate cake. This chocolate healthy mug cake recipe is so simple that even children can bake it in a jiffy.
- Mix wheat flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add to this milk, canola oil, vanilla essence, and water.
- Transfer all these to a microwave-safe mug.
- Cook for about 2 minutes till the cake is done.
- You can enjoy this with applesauce, vanilla ice cream, or whipped cream. These can be avoided to enjoy this homemade chocolate cake recipe as a filling snack.
4. Chocolate lava cake:
Also known as molten cake, this chocolate cake recipe is an absolute favourite with kids. Though it looks difficult, it is an easy chocolate cake recipe that can be easily made at home.
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees.
- Sieve all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and a pinch of salt.
- Add vanilla extract and a little oil or butter.
- Gradually add milk and mix gently till you get a smooth and thick mixture.
- Grease ramekins with butter and dust with cocoa powder.
- Pour the batter to fill 3/4th of the moulds.
- Place 3 chocolate pieces in the center and push them inside and cover with the remaining batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let the cake cool before demoulding.
- Top this delicious homemade chocolate cake with powdered sugar and serve immediately to enjoy the warm flowing chocolate.
5. Pressure cooker pound cake:
This simple chocolate cake recipe is easy and flavourful. This is amongst the best homemade cake recipes that can be made without a microwave.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set it aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, jaggery powder, curd, and milk.
- Fold in the flour mix gently.
- Pour this into a greased pressure cooker. Remove the gasket and let the cake cook for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve this amazing homemade chocolate cake recipe with coffee.
What are the things to keep in mind for the perfect chocolate cake recipe?
Here are some tips for baking the best chocolate cake and getting your chocolate cake recipe right every time:
- For the cake to have a deep and rich flavour, your chocolate cake recipe must contain high-quality unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Using the best quality chocolate in your chocolate cake recipe will decide the taste and flavours of the cake.
- A simple chocolate cake recipe should be all about chocolate. Using essences and flavours will only confuse your taste buds.
- Use ingredients like butter, eggs, milk, etc. at room temperature to get a fluffy texture.