Breakfast is considered to be the most important meal of the day. And for all the good reasons. Your breakfast meal breaks an almost 8-9 hour long fasting that your body goes into when you sleep.This is a meal that lets you be creative. You can enjoy versatile and healthy breakfast ideas that range from eggs to yoghurts, coffee, berries, fruits, chia seeds, nuts, and so much more. Your healthy breakfast recipes can be hot or cold, depending on your taste and nutritional requirements.
What happens when you skip breakfast?
We have all been told to never skip the first meal of the day. This has solid scientific evidence to back it. Here is what happens when you miss your breakfast:
- You get resistant to insulin, which increases your risk of type-2 diabetes.
- You miss out on nutritionally rich food.
- When you wake up, your blood sugar levels are low. Not replenishing them with nutrients makes you drowsy and cranky.
- If you are on an empty stomach till lunchtime, you tend to overeat.
- You are more prone to bouts of acidity due to long hours of fasting.
What are the benefits of having breakfast?
- Breakfast is a meal that can add to your nutritional requirements. Include all the food groups in your breakfast recipes to get fibre, vitamins, and minerals. This helps in the healthy development of your body and mind, improves immunity, and reduces the risk of several diseases.
- Morning breakfast helps in regulating your blood sugar levels that gives you the necessary energy to sail through the day but also prevents the risk of type-2 diabetes.
- Eating breakfast helps in avoiding binging or eating in huge quantities at the time of lunch. Filling and healthy breakfast recipes help in reducing the intake of calories, thereby helping in managing your weight.
- Eating a meal in the morning helps lower your cholesterol levels. This helps in improving the functioning of your cardiovascular system preventing the risk of heart diseases.
- A full stomach helps you concentrate on your early morning chores reducing irritability and sluggishness. This helps in improving your memory, cognition, and productivity.
What are the things to be kept in mind to make breakfast a healthy meal?
You will gain the benefits of breakfast only when you include the correct foods in it. Here are some tips to make your breakfast recipes nutritious, low-calorie, and still delicious:
- Choose whole grains for making breakfast recipes instead of refined grains to increase the fibre content of your breakfast. For example, a wheat toast is much healthier than a muffin or a pancake, made with refined flour. This helps in improving the functioning of your digestive and cardiovascular systems.
- Lower sugars in your breakfast recipes. Instead of pancakes, pastries, waffles, etc., that increase your blood sugar levels and make you fatigued and irritable, choose fresh fruits. These are not only more nutritious but also add texture to your healthy breakfast.
- Add nuts to your breakfast recipes to get a variety of minerals and vitamins.
- To feel fuller and have stronger muscles, add proteins to your breakfast recipes. Adding eggs, almond butter, cottage cheese, etc. can do this easily for you.
Which are the healthiest breakfast recipes that you can try at home?
Here is a rundown of some easy breakfast recipes to make the first meal of your day super-charged with nutrition. These simple breakfast ideas can be whipped up in no time and are delicious too:
1. Spanish omelette:
This easy breakfast recipe is not only tasty but also contains a ton of nutrients. This is one of the best breakfast ideas for kids too!
- Scrape new potatoes and chop onions into small pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add potatoes and onions and saut them.
- In a separate pan beat eggs and stir in potatoes and onions with parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Use a spatula to shape the omelette.
- Serve this breakfast recipe with whole wheat toast.
2. Oats moong toast:
This easy breakfast recipe is full with the goodness of lentils and oats making it the ideal morning breakfast.
- Combine soaked and drained moong dal, chopped coriander, rolled oats, green chillies, lemon juice, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add a little water to make it into a smooth paste.
- Brush oil on one side of two whole wheat slices.
- Spread the moong dal mixture evenly on both slices.
- Cook the slices in ghee or oil till they turn golden brown.
- Serve with mint chutney.
3. Banana and peanut butter snack:
This is one of those easy snack recipes and healthy breakfast ideas that can be tried at breakfast time to charge your day with loads of nutrients.
- To make this easy snack recipe, chop a banana and place the slices on medium heat in a pan.
- Sprinkle the pieces with cinnamon and let them cook till they caramelize.
- Remove these slices from the pan and top with a little peanut butter.
- Serve this delicious and healthy breakfast warm.
One of the most comforting breakfast ideas, upma is an all-time favourite. Follow this quick breakfast recipe to make a healthy breakfast thats super-delicious too!
- Heat semolina in a pan and roast for 5-6 minutes.
- In a separate pan, add oil and mustard seeds.
- Once mustard seeds crackle, add urad dal, green chillies, curry leaves, onions, and sautÃ© for a few seconds.
- Add roasted semolina, water, and salt and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and sugar and cook for 1 more minute.
- Garnish upma with coriander and serve this amazingly healthy breakfast with coconut or mint chutney.
5. Rawa uttapam:
This is one of the most popular breakfast ideas that make into breakfast recipes that are delicious, nutritious, and filling. Follow this quick breakfast recipe to make Rava uttapam:
- Combine semolina, curd, salt, and water and leave them to ferment for an hour.
- For the topping, chop onion, capsicum, carrot, and tomato. Add coriander, ginger, chillies, and curry leaves.
- Pour the rawa mixture on a tawa and press the toppings gently.
- Cook till it is golden brown.
- Serve with coconut chutney and sambar.