Turning to vegan food is not an easy commitment especially in a country like India where vegan Indian recipes are not as famous as other recipes. If you are not a vegan, you will get plenty of options of recipes on both: the internet, and your friends and family. But there are not enough vegan Indian recipes that can satisfy the taste buds of vegans.
However, if you are a smart person, you will not require exclusive vegan Indian recipes but only vegan food ideas. To explain in simple terms, vegan food ideas are basically finding replacements of dairy products with vegan substitutes to make vegan food. This way, you can get your favourite vegan food without learning some new vegan Indian recipes.
We have curated a list of vegan Indian recipes for you. These include every type of meal, i.e., vegan dinner recipes and vegan lunch recipes. Have a look at these yummy vegan Indian dishes!
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies: In the list of vegan Indian recipes, let’s start with a recipe that is liked by people of all ages. Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies are both crunchy and chewy. Whether you make them for yourself or your guests, these cookies are a healthy option to be added to your vegan thali.
Recipe: Mix wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk water, oil, and jaggery powder in another bowl. Mix the content of both bowls with chopped chocolates. Freeze the dough, make round balls from it, flatten them, and then put them in a preheated oven on a greased baking tray. Bake the cookies for about 12 to 14 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Vegan Rice Kheer: Talking about a vegan thali, how can one miss Vegan Rice Kheer! It is one of the exclusive and famous vegan Indian recipes that is hard to find in other parts of the world. Because of its yummy taste, it tops the list of vegan dinner recipes.
Recipe: Boil water-soaked rice in water until they get soft. Add mashed and boiled rice, coconut milk, cardamom powder in a pan on a medium flame. Add jaggery powder, raisins, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Add toasted nuts and remove the kheer once it thickens.
- Vegan Salad: Yet another recipe that you can add to your vegan thali is a vegan salad. As compared to other vegan Indian recipes, a vegan salad is probably the healthiest food. Apart from its superb taste, a vegan salad actually fulfils a large part of your daily nutrition need. Moreover, a vegan salad can be included both in vegan lunch recipes and vegan dinner recipes.
Recipe: This particular salad is called vegan potato salad. To make it, add some potatoes to a pan, add some salt and cold water. Put the pan on flame and bring it to a boil. Let it simmer for around 15 to 20 minutes until all the potatoes become tender. Steam-dry them for 4 to 5 minutes. You can peel away the skin of potatoes if you don’t like them. Add all the potatoes to a bowl and add olive oil, vinegar, and seasoning. Toss the ingredients and set the bowl aside to let the potatoes cool. Stir mayo, herbs, shallot, capers, and mustard in a bowl. Add the potatoes and your salad is ready to be served.
- Vegan Frittata: This is a lesser-known recipe among the list of top vegan Indian recipes. Made with the help of chickpea flour and vegetables, Vegan Frittata is one of the best vegan lunch recipes.
Recipe: Blanch a cauliflower along with broccoli florets. Add black salt, turmeric, black pepper, besan, water, salt, thyme, and oil in a bowl. Sauté onion in oil in a heated pan add some veggies, tofu dice and sauté again. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the pan and set the pan aside. Add batter in a pan and top up with veggies and tofu. Bake this frittata in a preheated oven at 160 degrees Celsius for about 20 minutes. Take it out safely from the oven and let the frittata cool down. Your vegan frittata is now ready to be served.
- Vegan Almond Chocolate Spread: Again, this is one of those vegan Indian recipes that are both very palatable and healthy. Vegan Almond Chocolate Spread is much liked by kids and teenagers.
Recipe: Soak some dates in water for around 15 to 20 minutes; deseed and then drain them. Add almonds, water to a pan and let them simmer for 5 to 6 minutes. Once the water starts boiling, turn off the heat. Drain almonds, set them aside to cool. Peel their skin and spread them on a paper towel. Sauté almonds in heated coconut oil until they become golden brown. Add dates and water to a pan and set it aside to cool. Blend jaggery powder, almond dates mixture, cocoa powder, and salt. Refrigerate them in an airtight container and use them as per your specific requirement. A refrigerated chocolate spread can usually be used for up to 5 days.
- Vegan Protein Sandwich: Finding some tasty vegan lunch recipes? If your answer is yes, then Vegan Protein Sandwich is probably the best recipe for you.
Recipe: Blend Spring Onion, Onion, Cilantro, Tomato, Oil, Salt, and Cashews and refrigerate the paste. Take a pan, add water, and boil it. Add cornstarch in the pan and keep boiling until the cornstarch gets thickened to form a glue-like substance. Blend Cornstarch glue, Honey, Dijon Mustard, Kasundi, and Salt and regenerate it. Blend Chilli Paste, Cashew, Watermelon Seed, Oil, Water, Salt, Aromat, and Cider Vinegar to make a sauce. Fry vegan patty in the pan. Put this vegan patty on bread along with spring onion spread, diced green capsicum, southwest sauce, sliced jalapenos, salt, and pepper. Grill the sandwich.
If you are looking for more vegan Indian recipes, you can try Chickpea Flour Pancakes, Kasuri Methi Paratha, Irish Bombay Potatoes, and other vegan Indian dishes. Ingredients for making all of these vegan Indian dishes can be easily available at home.