Kids can choose from a wide range of sports like swimming, football, cricket, basketball, gymnastics, etc as a workout for kids or as a passion or hobby. However, all of these need endurance, balance, agility, and coordination. Hence a full-body workout for kids that can condition the body makes them ready for the game.
Benefits of Workout for Kids
As per studies, it shows that inactive kids become inactive adults. That puts them at a higher risk of lifestyle diseases like heart diseases and cancer. Thus it is essential to encourage exercise for kids. Some of the health benefits of workout for kids and young adults are:
- Aids in improving their fitness
- Promotes healthy heart, bones, and muscles
- Boosts concentration and helps improve performance in school
- Exercise for juniors helps in better balance and posture
- It aids in boosting self-confidence, self-esteem and also provides an opportunity to socialize.
- Reduces stress
- Promotes overall health and development
With so many benefits exercise for kids should be encouraged by parents but it is important to find activities they enjoy. The exercise for children should not be a chore but something enjoyable which can be yoga for kids or simply cycling around the neighbourhood so that they continue without parents having to push them.
How many Exercises should a Child do?
The amount of exercise for kids should be based on age. Here is a general guideline for physical activity:
- Ages 3 to 5: Kids of this age should be physically active throughout the day. Since they are still learning coordination the exercise for children should be fun and simple.
- Ages 6 to 8: Easy exercises for kids should be thought of at this age which includes athletic and fitness-related ones.
- Ages 9 to 11: Children have better hand-eye coordination at this age and can be trained for arm balance asanas and handstand pushups.
- Ages 12 to 14: This is an age where more muscles building and strengthening exercises should be included. Lifting heavyweights should be discouraged as it can endanger their bones and joints.
- Age 15 and more: It is time to move on from easy exercise for kids to proper training as they need more endurance and weight training.
Home Workouts for Kids
Whether it is an exercise for kids at home or outside there are three types of exercises that should be included. They are:
- Aerobic activities: Jumping, running around, cycling, etc are some of the activities that can be included in the workout for kids so that it increases the heart rate and also acts as a warm-up.
- Muscle-strengthening activities: Squats, pistol squats, bodyweight exercises, or yoga for kids can be done to strengthen the muscles.
- Bone strengthening exercises: Skipping, jumping, or jumping jacks, mountain climbers can act as a bone-strengthening exercise for children.
Simple Exercises for Kids
This is one of the best Workout for Kids and is extremely healthy. It helps to strengthen the muscles and make the bones strong. Running can be a morning exercise for kids but it is not restricted only to that as they tend to run around all the time, chasing friends or playing catch. This is one of the simple exercises for kids that can be carried to adulthood which can become a healthy habit for a lifetime.
This is another easy Workout for Kids that they would love to do at any time of the day. It builds endurance, boosts cardiovascular fitness, and improves muscle strength. There are many fun variations for the simple jump, they are:
- Place your hands behind your head.
- Engage your core and keep your chin up.
- Jump keeping your legs wide and land on your toes and then back in with feet crossed.
- Repeat slowly first and then increase speed doing it as much as possible for 1 minute.
This is among the easy exercises for kids done by placing hurdles in the front or on the sides and jump over them.Steps
- Place a number of hurdles in a row or a column and stand at the beginning.
- Jump off them with both feet as high as you can and then immediately move to the next.
- Continue until you have finished hurling over all the hurdles.
- Repeat this exercise for kids 8 to 10 times.
Plank to Low Squat
This is a workout for kids at home that builds strength and endurance. Completing this exercise can act as a great confidence booster too! Steps
- Start in a plank with your legs extended back.
- The arms should be below the shoulders and the elbow straight.
- Jump your feet to the outside of the hands, quickly do back to the plank.
- Repeat for 10 counts in quick succession.
This is a fun exercise for kids which can be done anywhere on a beach, gym, or at your home. It is a whole-body workout as it works on the quads, glutes, hamstrings, core, shoulders, and arms. It engages all the muscles from shoulders to toes. Steps
- Ask your child to sit on the bottom. The hands should be placed behind and the body pushed up.
- Walk backwards until your arms feel a burn.
- If the exercise is very simple try it on inclined or declined surfaces.
- Weight can also be placed on the belly and ensure it does not fall off.
This is another fun full-body exercise for kids that can be done in any place and can strengthen the shoulder joints, develop the core, and also condition your cardio. Steps
- Crouch down on all fours with your hands in front and feet behind.
- The hands should be shoulder-width apart and the hips in the air.
- Crawl forward with your right-hand following the left foot and vice-versa.
- Take steps depending on space and turn around and walk back.
This is one of the easiest exercises that can strengthen the core of your kids. With the help of this exercise, kids have better coordination body balance, and posture.Steps
- Lie flat on the stomach. Now lift your arms and feet off the ground as if you are flying through the air.
- If your child can lift both arms and legs at the same time then ask your kid to hold a ball in the feet or hands.
- Another variation is to place a stuffed animal on the childs back and try to do the exercise.
It is a compound exercise that works on multiple muscle groups and joints at the same time. It targets the core, back, hips, abs, leg muscles, and shoulders. It also improves mobility and supports heart health. Steps
- Get into a plank position.
- The arms and back should be straight and the hands shoulder-width apart.
- Now try running motion by switching the foot one at a time.
- Start with a slow-motion and then add intensity by increasing your speed.
Yoga and Stretching
Yoga can be a fun morning exercise for kids. Starting from easy poses like the happy baby pose to the cobra pose to the headstand there are many simple and advanced stretches to keep muscles strong and healthy. It can also be done as cool-down stretching exercises for kids to transition to a relaxed state after the workout to prevent muscle strain and injuries. Things to Remember
- Irrespective of the activity or exercise, ensure that the child wears protective gear like the right footwear to prevent injury.
- If your child is suffering from a medical condition consult a healthcare provider.
- Ensure weight and resistance exercise for kids at home is done under a trained adult.
- Keep the child hydrated throughout the Workout for Kids.