In a fast life, we often forget to give special time to the most basic things like our physical health, our mental health, and our consciousness. When enough time passes of this ignorance, things become so scattered that we start to see its results. One such result is reduced concentration. Thankfully, we also have the antidote to this scatteredness - meditation for concentration.There are many types of yoga and meditation to increase concentration. These techniques were earlier available only to sages who were very conscious of their mind, and their ability to focus and concentrate. Now, anyone can learn meditation for concentration. For learning meditation to increase focus, you can either go to the yoga and meditation classes, or you can join online meditation focus classes through any app.To make things easier for you, we have jotted down various types of meditation for focus and concentration. Give them a thorough reading and select the one you like:
Top Meditation Practises for Focus and Concentration
Trying different meditation techniques and finding the best meditation to improve concentration might take some time. The best way is to learn about the already-famous short meditations or 5 min meditation exercises that work and try them yourselves.Here is the list of best meditation for concentration to begin with:
- Mindfulness Meditation
Although there are many meditation techniques out there that help in increasing your focus and concentration, mindfulness is probably the easiest out of them. And the best part about this is that you can do it along with doing other daily-routine works. So, this meditation for focus and concentration can be incorporated into your lifestyle without disrupting your schedule.All you have to do in this meditation technique is giving your full attention to one thing. That one thing could be sitting, talking to a person, eating, or anything that you are doing at that moment. There are many tasks that demand our uninterrupted attention such as driving. We give our full attention to these tasks because we cannot afford otherwise. But we try to juggle between the tasks that can be done parallelly with other tasks.Mindfulness works when you fully focus on one subject. When you practice mindfulness, your brain and your body get habitual to doing only one thing at a time and concentrating only on that task instead of having parallel thought.
- Zen Meditation
Another meditation for concentration and memory, has also become popular because of its effectiveness. There are many scientific studies which tell us that a Zen meditator has a higher capability of focus and concentration than people who do not practice it.There are various techniques within Zen meditation. One popular technique is â€˜quiet awareness.â€™ This meditation for concentration and memory is very simple and easy to perform. You just have to allow your thoughts to freely flow in your mind. While the thoughts are flowing in your mind, do not make any judgement about them. Do not try to grasp these thoughts, or do not even try to reject them. There is no anchor of this meditation, no content, and no goal.You might ask that if there is no purpose or goal of meditation. Now, this doesnâ€™t mean that there is nothing unique about it. In fact, with this meditation, you learn to allow your mind to process thoughts without any judgement. You let the mind to sit and let it see things without judgement.
- Trataka or Still Gazing
Also known as the candle meditation or still gazing, Trataka meditationâ€™s origins lie in the Buddhist tradition. They use this meditation for focus and concentration using just a candle. You will also find that this technique also brings with itself stillness of the thoughts and creates a deep state of inner peace. Here is how you can practice this meditation for concentration:
- Begin by lighting a candle.
- Sit comfortable on a yoga mat at a distance from the candle. You can choose Padmasana for this meditation.
- Now, look at the candle for some time. Study its form, see how the flame flickers and trace its movements. But do not wander and stay still. Watch the candle while breathing. Do this for at least 25 breaths.
- Slowly close your eyes and try to imagine the candle with your mindâ€™s eye. In case you lose the image, open your eye again and look at the candle. Repeat.
- Do this for 108 breaths and keep yourself away from the distracted thoughts.
The best time to do this meditation for concentration is at night with lights off. If done on a regular basis, this technique can work on your concentration power and help you focus on things better.
- Mantra Meditation
Mantra is a term made of Sanskrit words â€œManâ€ that is mind and â€œtraâ€ meaning release. So, mantra are the words and phrases that help you in released your mind, especially when you have trouble in concentrating or focusing on something. Many people use mantra to gain awareness of their surrounding and improve concentration. You too can try this easy and effective meditation for concentration.Here are some steps you can follow to perform the mantra meditation:
- Sit in a comfortable position in a quiet place without any distractions. You can also lie down or even walk while doing this meditation for concentration. Some people also do various mudras, such as Gyan mudra or Vayu mudra to enter the meditative frame of mind.
- Now, you can set a timer for the practice and even play a relaxing sound in the background.
- Take a few deep breaths to relax your body. Pay attention to how your body reacts to the inhaling and exhaling of the breath. Focus on how the air fills up your lungs and then leaves your body.
- While breathing with your nose, chant your mantra. You can chant loudly or repeat it silently as you wish. An easy mantra to being with can me â€œOmâ€ as it gives a vibration and rhythm to the meditation process.
- Focus on the mantra and let other thoughts pass you by. It will be difficult at first but with time you will be able to control the thoughts without breaking your concentration.
- Do this practice till the timer goes off.
There is no correct way to practice mantra meditation. You can also pick your own mantras that make you feel good and at peace.Â Some of the benefits that this meditation for concentration also bestows on you are:
- Reduced Stress and Tension
- Increased Self-Awareness
- A Greater Sense of Calmness
- Increased Self-Compassion
- A More Positive Outlook
What More?Some other meditation techniques you can try for better focus and concentration are:
- Yoga Nidra
- Nine-round Breathing
- Body Scan Meditation
- Transcendental Meditation
Done reading? Now, if you are planning to do any of these meditation for concentration, start it now. For the best results, it is recommended that you seek guidance from yoga experts to learn these techniques first. They will help you practice each step with proficiency and also help you understand the meditation techniques deeply. Once you have learnt the meditation for concentration, you can easily try it at home and reap the benefits for the years to come.