Fitting into the new normal has resulted in a lot of lifestyle changes. It has also changed the way people work out. Gyms are closed or partially open and many people have moved to home workouts without equipment as they have little or no training equipment at home. Though this can easily be accomplished if you are simply looking to stay fit, it can be a challenge for those who are looking to build their muscles. However, bodyweight at-home workouts with no equipment can be done which can help you maintain and keep progressing towards your fitness goals.
What is Bodyweight Workout?
A Bodyweight workout is one of the most common exercises that can be done at home. It is among the oldest ways of exercise and has seen an increase in popularity as it can be done without any tools. These are routines that can be done without the use of any equipment or machine. It is the use of a person's body weight as a workout resistance form. Though a bodyweight workout is considered a stop-gap if you are unable to go to the gym, it is arguably the most effective as per fitness experts. Whatsmore, you can add fancy positions to make it more challenging. If you are looking for at-home workouts with no equipment, bodyweight workouts are your go-to option.
Benefits of a Bodyweight Workout
A bodyweight workout is favored by many trainers as it provides the following benefits:
- Efficient workouts: As per experts bodyweight home workouts without equipment which includes exercises like plyometrics give you great results even in a short time. Moreover, the number of hours you spend working out is less as there are no machines involved, making a transition between exercises is easy. Also, the rest time needed is less which makes the workouts quicker but effective.
- Lose pounds faster: A bodyweight workout is more than forearm workouts it can also help you shed those extra kilos in your body. A home workout with no equipment has a positive effect on the body's metabolism and helps to shed weight quickly with just some circuit training. A chest exercise and back exercise can make for a holistic workout which gives an overall good-looking figure for both men and women.
- Is a great combo of cardio and strength training: If you are short of time, then doing a quick bodyweight workout that includes jumping jacks or burpees in between strengthening exercises can make for good cardio and strength exercises.
- Can be done by everyone: A bodyweight workout is for everyone including beginners and professional trainers. An at-home workout plan without equipment is an ideal choice as it can be modified as per fitness level and expertise. Those who want an extra kick can add more repetitions or do it as fast or as slow as needed. Though the exercises are simple they can be made more challenging by adding more difficult poses.
- Helps build a better core: Getting good abs is just a part of the core exercise, there are many bodyweight workouts that work on all the core muscles which improve the core strength and also help in better performance.
- Less cost: A bodyweight workout at home can be a full-body workout at home without equipment and hence is a cost-effective way of building muscles. The only expense that you can expect is a mat or an aiding tool to assist with certain exercises. You can achieve an Arnold-like body without having to spend money on a gym membership.
- Fewer injury scars: Gym equipment can lead to injury especially if you do not know how to get them to work. Also, there is less chance of someone dropping a dumbbell on your feet while exercising. Moreover, home workouts without equipment mean no lifting weights and hence fewer injuries.
How to Perform a Home Bodyweight Workout?
Start your home workout with no equipment by doing some workouts like light warm up exercises for at least 10 minutes. It can be simple marching in place, walking, jogging, or doing any exercise that can get your heart pumping, blood circulating, and preparing the muscles to start the actual workout. The bodyweight workout exercises can be done for a minimum of 30 seconds to a maximum of 2 minutes based on your fitness levels and goals. Also, based on the routine you can aim to perform it for a minimum of 30 minutes. Based on the exercise and the reps you can do the whole workout session can last up to an hour. Ensure to take time to cool down with at least 5 minutes of gentle stretching to prevent sore muscles. Stay hydrated and pay attention to your body and do not overexert yourself. If you feel pain while doing any muscle strength exercise or upper body workout or any exercise, stop it and take a rest. Knowing how your body responds and its limitations can prevent injury.
Simple Home Bodyweight Exercises
These are the best chest workout at home without equipment and are time-tested. It is also great for the core and upper body. Steps
- Start in a plank position with your knees on a tabletop position.
- Position the elbows beneath the shoulders with your palms on the floor.
- Hold the body in a straight line from head to toes with the spine in a neutral position.
- Engage your abs and draw the navel towards the spine
- Bring your shoulders down and heels over the balls of the feet.
- Hold for as long as possible and relax by getting back to the floor.
Many variations to this plank can be done which can target a certain muscle group. For instance, bicep curls, up-down plank, etc can be a great biceps workout at home without equipment.
It is a beginner workout at home without equipment but can build your upper body strength. You can do this using a bar that is hung in a playground or even in a doorway.Steps
- Extend your arms overhead and hang by a rod.
- Exhale and pull yourself up until the chin.
- Pause and then inhale and lower down
- Repeat 5 times and increase the count as you progress.
It is among the top full-body workout at home without equipment as it works on the calves, hamstrings, lower back, and shoulders.Steps
- Stand on all fours on the floor
- Walkout using your hands. The legs should be straight all the while
- Walk back to the start position using your ankles.
- Do a minimum of 10 reps
This is an exercise that is similar to a push-up but also acts as cardio that can intensify your chest workout without equipment especially when you have a time crunch.Steps
- Start with your feet slightly apart and hands on the side. Get into a squat with your hands on the ground.
- Jump out to a push-up position, do a pushup and jump feet close to your hands.
- Now jump up as high as you can reach and keep your hands over the head.
- Repeat 10 times.
This is another good workout at home with no equipment and helps to strengthen the posterior muscles. It prevents back pain, improves posture, and helps in overall flexibility and movement. Steps
- Lie on the floor on your stomach, extend your arms over the head.
- Lift your arms, chest, and legs from the floor and squeeze your glutes.
- Move your arms and legs up like you are swimming while staying away from the floor.
- Inhale and exhale for 4 seconds and repeat for 3 sets.
This is a home workout no equipment exercise that targets the whole body. Steps
- Start in a sprinter's position
- Place your hands on the floor and push the feet so that the alternate knee touches the chest.
- It is similar to running with high knee action only now you are on the floor.
- Do it for up to 2 minutes and ensure that the spine is straight throughout.