What is soy?
Soybean, also known as soy, is an edible bean that belongs to the pea family. Native to East Asia, it is now grown primarily in the United States, Argentina, and Brazil. It is a versatile plant food that is savored in a wide range of recipes.
What are the various forms of soy used in recipes?
Soybean is much more than soy chunks, which are a common kitchen ingredient used in recipes such as the popular soya matar roll, soya masala sabzi (serves 2), and soya nuggets pulao recipe. Food products made from soy can be divided into fermented and unfermented foods. Examples of fermented soy products include miso, soy sauce, and tempeh. Unfermented soy products on the other hand include tofu, soy flour, soy chunks, soy nuts, sprouts, and soy milk.
What is soy milk?
Soy milk has gained quite a bit of popularity in the last few years. Especially, when the discussion is about veganism. But do we know what soy milk is and how is it prepared? This is nothing but a by-product of soybean. They are washed, soaked, and ground. This mixture is then boiled, filtered, and purified to get a liquid with a smooth consistency. Soy milk has been traced to 13th-century China where it was first prepared. It is used to make milkshakes, smoothies, bread., mayonnaise, pancakes, etc.
How is flavored soy milk prepared?
Plain soy milk has a mild creamy taste that's best described as beany. Some people describe the taste as distinct and a little strong. Flavored soy milk has gained a lot of popularity lately and is available at almost all retail stores as a plant-based alternative to dairy milk. However, flavored soy milk is pretty easy to make at home too. This way, you can be assured of consuming only the purest drink without the use of any preservatives, synthetic flavors, or colors. Here are some of the best recipes of flavored soy milk that are super fun, delicious, and healthy too:
- Mango soy milkshake: Soy milk goes well with fruits, especially mango. This recipe is loved by children and adults alike for its rich and sweet taste. To prepare this, just combine unflavored soy milk, mango pulp, and jaggery in a mixer. Mix well and serve chilled topped with chopped mangoes.
- Apple cinnamon soy milkshake: This sweet and spicy milkshake is perfect for those warm autumn afternoons. It is rich in fiber and antioxidants and serves as the perfect between-the-meal snack. To prepare this, combine unpeeled apples, cinnamon powder, unflavored soy milk, and jaggery in a mixer and mix well. Serve chilled garnished with chopped apples.
- Soy milk hot chocolate: This decadent drink is unlike anything that you would have tried. To prepare this, combine hot soy milk with melted chocolate and vanilla extract and blend well. Serve topped with a little whipped cream or marshmallows for that festive look.
- Turmeric latte with soy milk: This hot soy milk drink is perfect for those who want to give up caffeine and opt for milder and more refreshing drinks. To prepare this, add soy milk in a pan along with turmeric, cinnamon stick, cardamom, and ginger. Keep stirring the milk without letting it come to a boil. Take it off the gas and whisk it with a hand blender to create foam. Enjoy this hot soy milk topped with a few saffron strands.
What is the nutritive value of soy milk?
Soy milk is a low-calorie protein-rich drink that has an impressive nutritional value. Here is a breakdown of soy milk nutrition in one cup of this unsweetened drink:
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Fats: 4 grams
- Saturated fats: 0.5 grams
- Carbohydrates: 3 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Proteins: 7 grams
- Calories: 80
What are the benefits of soy milk?
Not only can soy milk adds flavors to your cup of coffee or bowl of cereal, but is it incredibly healthy too. Here are some great reasons to make soy milk a part of your diet to make it more balanced:
- Soy milk is one of the best alternatives for people who are lactose intolerant or those who don't like animal-based milk products. It does away with the uncomfortable aftereffects of consuming dairy and still nourishes you.
- Rich in fiber, soy milk nutrition helps in improving your BMI and losing excess weight. It keeps you satiated for longer preventing the need to binge eat. This in turn prevents obesity-related problems such as a poor state of mind, high cholesterol, heart diseases, type-2 diabetes, etc.
- It improves the levels of good cholesterol and plasma lipid levels in your blood that prevents cardiovascular problems.
- Soy milk protein supports hair growth and improves its appearance. When consumed regularly, it prevents premature greying of hair and makes it smoother.
- Soy milk protein is a boon for those who have pigmented, acne-prone, and rough skin. The isoflavones in it have anti-aging properties that prevent signs of premature aging such as fine lines, sagging, and hyperpigmentation.
- Including soy protein in your diet is a great way to build muscle and reduce the loss of lean muscle due to aging.
- Soy milk calcium, when fortified, helps strengthen your bones and prevents the risk of conditions such as osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.
- Soy milk calcium when had with vitamin D protects against certain types of cancers, high blood pressure, and diabetes.
- Another great advantage of soy milk nutrition is that it contains phytochemicals that are known to reduce the risk of cancers of the colon, breast, and prostate.
Are there any side effects of soy milk?
It is necessary to moderate your consumption of soy milk to avoid these potential side effects:
- The phytates in soy milk may limit the absorption of minerals such as magnesium, zinc, and iron in your body.
- It may cause digestive problems in some people such as constipation and indigestion.
- At times, when our body breaks up soy milk, it leaves a mucus-like coating in the respiratory tract. This may cause sinus issues, breathing problems, and cold in some people.
- Overconsumption of soy milk with added sugars may lead to weight gain.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Bakasana | Balasana | Surya Mudra | Shambhavi Mudra | Ashwini Mudra | Yoni Mudra | Prithvi Mudra Benefits | Vayu Mudra | Parvatasana | Khechari Mudra Benefits | Padahastasana Benefits| Mandukasana | Gomukhasana | Prana Mudra Benefits | Gyan Mudra Benefits | Mayurasana | Dandasana| Benefits of Makarasana | Uttanasana Benefits | Yoga Nidra Benefits| Apan Vayu Mudra Benefits | Halasana | Yoga Mudrasana Benefits | Balayam Yoga Benefits| Vrischikasana Benefits | Padmasana Benefits | Kriya Yoga Benefits | Vipassana Meditation Benefits
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Air Squats | Superman Exercise Benefits | Sumo Deadlift | Side Plank Benefits | Does Skipping Increase Height | Chiseled Body | Hrithik Roshan Workout Routine | Dragon Flag | 5 Brain Exercises | Kickbacks Exercise | Box Jumps | Walking Lunges Benefits | Windshield Wipers Exercise Benefits | Dumbbell Workout for Beginners | Push up Alternatives
Top Search Terms For Fitness
Best Mantra for Meditation | Types of Pranayama and Benefits | Vakrasana Steps, Benefits and Precautions | Bhujang Asana Is Good for Improving | Yoga Asanas for Blood Circulation | Yoga in Bed for Weight Loss | Yoga for Anger Management | Vajrasana Benefits for Male