This pandemic has been the worst nightmare ever. Nobody would have ever thought of being stuck indoors for so long. And that keeping home all the time would be so frustrating. Also, being home, people started cooking delicious stuff, forgoing their health. With exercise studios closed, improper eating, no fixed time to sleep, and get up, all of this has contributed to an unpleasant lifestyle!
Motivation during Quarantine
Many of you must be missing rigorous workout sessions at a gym, or swimming sessions, or simply walking and jogging with a circle of friends, and finding the motivation to workout at home can be challenging. However, it is essential to understand that a little amount of activity during this time can make a huge difference. Exercise and mindful eating can work wonders on your body. You should think this COVID-19 pandemic has given you all the time in the world to be fit and understand the importance of maintaining a fitness routine in life. Â Â
Advantages of Exercising
It is important to be conscious of your health. Regular exercise elevates your mood and reduces feelings of stress, frustration, anxiety, and depression. The frustration that you get from staying indoors might get relieved if you exercise daily. It is good for your muscles and bones. You feel energetic and reduce your risk of developing chronic illnesses. It is known to improve cognitive functions and provides you with quality sleep. It can boost your immunity as well. In short, daily exercise can also prevent you from getting coronavirus!
How much exercise is enough?
Setting up a workout routine is necessary. It is essential to understand that something is better than nothing. A little walk around the block is enough if you are not in the mood for a complete home workout. Maybe just pushing yourself for a walk might inspire you to exercise further. Staying active is the key.
Exercise Tips this quarantine
Self-quarantining, social distancing, work from home and gym closure might have kept you away from fitness. But here, we are sharing some tips and quarantine workouts that will take care of your health!
1. Abs Workout
In this pandemic, people are majorly putting fat around the belly area. In this era of social media, it is not at all difficult to work out from home, since many people are sharing their fitness routine. You will find many abs workout videos on platforms like YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, etc. both for beginners and pros.Â But in the case of belly fat, you should understand that what you eat is important. Workouts will help you reduce fat, but if you do not follow a proper diet plan and do not watch the calories you eat, things wonâ€™t show. Many dieticians and fitness trainers also share their diet plan or a plan that a normal human being should follow.
2. Leg Workout
Legs are the biggest muscles in our body, including the glutes and the quads. So working on such large muscles takes energy and reduces weight quickly. During this pandemic, it has become difficult to find home gym equipment like dumbbells. Nonetheless, there is a basic leg workout regime that you can follow at home. Few basic leg exercises are:
- Bodyweight Squats: Stand and spread our legs shoulder-width apart. Next, sit your butt back into the squat position. Bend the knees until the thighs donâ€™t get parallel to the floor. Stand back up again. While standing back up from the squat position, squeeze your butt and keep the core tight and steady. Repeat the same.
- Lunges: Stand with your feet hip-width apart. Keep the core engaged. Take a big step with your right leg forward. Put your weight forward so that the right heel touches the floor. Your right thigh should be parallel to the floor. If possible, touch the left knee onto the floor. Press the right knee to drive back to the starting position. Repeat the same steps with your left leg too.
- Knee Taps: Lift your right leg and tap onto it with your left hand. Next, raise your left leg and tap onto it with your right hand. Keep doing it alternatively.
- Other advanced versions of these exercises are squat jump, side lunges, curtsy lunges, pistol squats, side leg raises, and single-let glute bridges.
You can do these exercises by watching a YouTube video. All you require is a yoga mat. But do not overdo. Legs become sore after a tiring leg workout session. Do leg exercises every alternate day. Else you might tear your muscles.Â
3. Core Workout
There are multiple advantages to building core muscle strength. The coronavirus affects your respiratory system. If you train your core muscles, it improves your respiratory function considerably. It aids in the prevention of injury and puts the muscles to work more effectively and efficiently.Take out just 15 minutes of your time daily to pump yourself up. Following core workouts will serve as warm-up exercises for otherÂ weight loss exercises. Practice these 5 exercises daily:Â
- Superman pose: Lie down on your front, with your legs and hands extended. Raise your head, right arm, and left leg above the floor, as much as possible. Hold the position for a count of three. Get back to start position. Repeat with the left hand and right arm.Â
- Bridge: Lie down on your back, with legs 90 degrees bent. Raise your back and hips off the floor until your body creates a straight line from shoulders to knees. Keep in position for 10 seconds.Â
- Metronome: Lie down on your back, knees bent 90 degrees and raised, ankles parallel to the floor, and arms extended to sides. Rotate legs to the left, taking the knees close to the floor as much as possible. Do not touch the knees to the floor. Return to the initial position and then turn right.Â
- Plank lift: Lie down on the front. Prep up on your forearms, knees, and feet together. Elbows should be under shoulders, raise your legs, core, and hips in a straight line. Be in the position for 10 seconds.
- Side plank: Lie down on the right side and support your upper body on your right forearm. Lift your hips and weight should be supported by the right forearm and feet. Maintain the position for 10 seconds. Switch sides.
4. Yoga at home
If a gym workout is not your cup of tea, you must practice yoga at home to keep yourself fit. Juggling between office work and household chores must be physically exhausting and mentally draining too. Yoga brings therapeutic effects to your life. It will not only push weight loss but will keep you relaxed and calm.Â Practice followingÂ weight loss yoga exercisesÂ daily that will also bring strength, balance, flexibility, and calmness in life:
- Yoga Nidra, Surya Namaskar, Chakra Shuddhi Meditation, Sirsasana, Sarvangasana, Pranayam, Anulom Vilom, Bhramari and Dhanurasana.
5. Building Lean Muscle Mass
Exercises to get leanÂ mass have been in a fashion quite lately. Lean muscle mass is your body weight subtracting the weight due to fat mass. It is your organ weight. You can build lean mass at home as well. But if you are a first-timer, we would suggest you do this kind of workout under supervision only. So you can sign up for online fitness training. Few at-home lean muscle exercises are Helicopter, dolphin press up, bear squat, sit-out, and grasshopper.Â Â
6. Walk and Cycle
Cycling and walking can be great exercises to boost your mental and physical health. If you live in an apartment that has a good area to walk and cycle, do it every day. Download the step counter app on your phone and if possible, walk 10k steps every day. You can walk and talk while on an official call.
7. Intermittent Fasting
This technique has come into trend recently. This fasting involves daily short-term fasts and eating within a shorter period during the daytime. Many kinds of research have proved that following intermittent fasting for 24 weeks leads to weight loss. Various types of IF are:
- ADF or Alternate Day Fasting: In this method, you fast on every alternate day and normally eat on the non-fasting day.
- 5:2 Diets: This involves fasting 2 days a week. But consume 500 to 600 calories on the fasting days as well.
- 16/8 Diet: This involves eating within an 8-hour window and fast for 16 hours. The fasting hours here involve only drinking water, not even consumption of tea is allowed.
We hope that you will find out the time to practice at least a few of the exercises mentioned above. If you are not able to follow quarantine workouts, you should at least practice walking daily and keep yourself hydrated. Do mindful eating. Do not eat if you are not hungry! Stay concerned about your health, and you will be fine.