Today’s world that’s changing so fast often leaves us with no time to focus on our fitness and regular exercise. Drastic changes in working norms and ever-pressing deadlines makes having a daily workout regime next to impossible. Our lifestyle has become quite sedentary and mostly involves sitting and lying without even the basic exercises. Add to this the culture of ordering in rich and sugary foods and you have a body that invites diseases.
What happens when you don’t follow a basic exercise plan regularly?
There are several problems that arise out of leading an inactive lifestyle and not doing a daily workout. These include:
- Since there is no daily workout plan, you expend fewer calories. This leads to obesity.
- Not using your muscles through regular exercise leads to them losing their strength and endurance. This leads to tiredness and fatigue.
- Your immunity gets compromised and you are at a higher risk of contracting infections when you don’t do regular exercise.
- Your bones lose their intensity due to the lack of regular exercise, which increases the risk of fractures.
- You may develop a hormonal imbalance in the absence of regular exercise.
- Your risk for certain conditions like heart diseases, high blood pressure, type-2 diabetes, osteoporosis, etc. may increase.
- The risk of certain types of cancers also increases when you don't do regular exercise.
What are the benefits of a daily workout?
Doing regular exercise has amazing benefits that go much beyond just aesthetics. Here are some of the most important benefits of regular exercise:
- One of the most important benefits of physical exercise is that it reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases like heart attack, arrhythmia, etc.
- Regular exercise helps you lose weight by converting excess calories into energy. This in turn helps in reducing the risk of type-2 diabetes, heart attacks, etc.
- One of the most important benefits of regular exercise is that it helps in strengthening your bones and muscles. This is critical for being mobile and preventing the risk of osteoporosis and injuries from falls and fractures.
- Regular exercise helps you feel lighter and happier. This happens because physical movement helps in dissipating stress and harmful free radicals from the body. It also releases endorphins that make your feel happier. All of these help in keeping chronic stress, depression, and anxiety at bay.
- One of the most important benefits of regular exercise is that it helps in regulating your blood pressure and hypertension, which are the root causes of most cardiovascular problems.
- Regular exercise helps in preventing the risk of some types of cancer like that of the bladder, colon, kidneys, lungs, etc. It is especially beneficial for the faster recovery of people undergoing chemotherapy.
- Doing even basic exercises at home is great for the proper functioning of the digestive system.
- Since exercises an improvement in blood circulation, doing even the most basic exercises help in your cognitive development, boosting memory, and preventing the risk of Alzheimer’s, dementia, etc.
- Since exercise helps in strengthening your joints, it helps in preventing pains and inflammations.
- Doing even basic exercises at home has a great impact on the functioning of the lungs and improves your stamina. This helps in preventing conditions like asthma, shortness of breath, etc.
- Regular exercise helps in reducing the level of oxidative stress and free radicals. This helps in the production of natural antioxidants and stimulating the blood flow leading to an improvement in the quality of the skin. This also helps in delaying aging.
- All of these benefits of regular exercise have a direct impact on the quality and longevity of life. People who are physically active, live longer and better.
Which are some of the best daily exercises to do at home?
Here are some of the best and the most effective exercises that you can do at home to build your strength, stamina, endurance, balance, and flexibility:
One of the best exercises for beginners, lunges are great for improving the strength in your legs and glutes. It is also one of the best exercises to increase stamina.
- Start by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Take a step forward with your right leg and bend your right knee as you do so.
- Stop when your thigh is parallel to the ground.
- Return to the starting position.
- Repeat with the other leg.
- Do 3 sets of 10-15 reps each.
One of the best exercises to build upper body strength and six pack abs. Besides this, it is also a simple workout at home without the need for any equipment.
- Start in a plank position.
- Ensure that your core is tight and your shoulders pulled down.
- Bend your elbows gently and lower your body down on the floor.
- Once your body touches the floor extend your elbows and return to the starting position.
- Do 3-4 sets of 15-20 reps each.
3. Dumbbell rows
This is one of the best exercises to include in your daily workout plan to improve the strength in your upper body and core.
- Start with a dumbbell in each hand.
- Bend forward at the waist so that your waist is at an angle of 45-degrees.
- Remember not to arch your back.
- Bend your right elbow and lift the dumbbell towards your chest as you engage your core and lats.
- Return gently to the starting position and repeat with your left arm.
- Do 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps each.
4. Half-pigeon pose
This is one of the best full split exercises to improve flexibility in your lower body and improve the tightness and strength in your hips and legs.
- Start in a Downward-facing dog position.
- Bring your right foot forward towards your right wrist as you bring your knees and shin to the mat.
- Straighten your left leg back gently.
- Walk your hands forward.
- Lower your forehead to the mat as much as you can.
- Hold this position for 20-30 seconds.
- Do 2-3 sets of 3 reps each.
A simple workout at home, squats are perfect for increasing the strength and flexibility in your core and lower body. They engage the longest muscles in the body thereby expending a huge number of calories, especially beneficial for those who want to lose weight.
- Start by standing straight with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Keep your chest and chin up, push your hips back, and bend your knees as if you are sitting on a chair as you bring your arms in front of you in a comfortable position.
- Bend till the time your thighs are parallel to the ground.
- Pause for a few seconds and return to the starting position.
- Do 3-4 sets of 20 reps each.
6. Handstand pushups
One of the best compound exercises, handstand pushups increase the strength in your upper body and the core. If followed in your regular exercise schedule, this will improve your balance and stability as well.
- Set up a cushion or a yoga mat against a wall to protect your neck and head.
- Stand facing the wall and bend down placing your hands a few inches away from the wall.
- Lift your body in a headstand and steady yourself by drawing your navel to your spine and tightening your abs so that your body is in a straight line.
- Press your body back as you extend your arms.
- Return to the starting position.
- Do 2-3 sets of 2-3 reps each.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Bakasana | Balasana | Surya Mudra | Shambhavi Mudra | Ashwini Mudra | Yoni Mudra | Prithvi Mudra Benefits | Vayu Mudra | Parvatasana | Khechari Mudra Benefits | Padahastasana Benefits| Mandukasana | Gomukhasana | Prana Mudra Benefits | Gyan Mudra Benefits | Mayurasana | Dandasana| Benefits of Makarasana | Uttanasana Benefits | Yoga Nidra Benefits| Apan Vayu Mudra Benefits | Halasana | Yoga Mudrasana Benefits | Balayam Yoga Benefits| Vrischikasana Benefits | Padmasana Benefits | Kriya Yoga Benefits | Vipassana Meditation Benefits
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Air Squats | Superman Exercise Benefits | Sumo Deadlift | Side Plank Benefits | Does Skipping Increase Height | Chiseled Body | Hrithik Roshan Workout Routine | Dragon Flag | 5 Brain Exercises | Kickbacks Exercise | Box Jumps | Walking Lunges Benefits | Windshield Wipers Exercise Benefits | Dumbbell Workout for Beginners | Push up Alternatives
Top Search Terms For Fitness
Best Mantra for Meditation | Types of Pranayama and Benefits | Vakrasana Steps, Benefits and Precautions | Bhujang Asana Is Good for Improving | Yoga Asanas for Blood Circulation | Yoga in Bed for Weight Loss | Yoga for Anger Management | Vajrasana Benefits for Male