What is Bad Breath?
Bad breath is also known as halitosis. It is a warning sign of poor dental hygiene, or any other underlying disease or illness present in our body. Lack of regular brushing and flossing can lead to bad breath. Failing to drink sufficient water and eating onion or garlic can be some of the reasons for bad breath. Post Nasal drip, sinusitis, tonsillitis, respiratory infections, and some blood disorders can be the reason for bad breath.
There are mainly 5 types of bad breath.
- Fruit or sweet smell: This is caused by ketoacidosis, a complication of diabetes. Also can be seen in chronic kidney failure.
- Rotten egg smell: It results from digestive tract issues. The gut microbiota breaks down and releases sulfur causing a rotten egg smell. It can occur as a result of GERD.
- Moldy or fungus smell: This results from sinusitis as it forms thick and yellowish-green mucus that drips from nose to sinus at the back of the throat.
- Fishy smell: kidney failure leads to waste and toxic material accumulation in the body resulting in a fishy smell.
- Fecal smell: A bowel obstruction combined with constipation leads to fecal smell in the breath.
Bad Breath Symptoms
It is noticed by another person if you have bad breath. The most important bad breath symptoms are the unpleasant odor from the mouth itself. Signs and symptoms are:
- Release of different odors like rotten egg smell, fishy smell, fruity smell, and fecal smell from the mouth.
- Changes in taste, or sour taste
- Dry mouth
- A coating on the tongue
Who is at Risk?
Bad breath can be developed by anybody with underlying disease conditions like diabetes, and bowel disorders. Here are some other reasons that put you at risk of developing bad breath:
- Those who smoke
- Those who chew tobacco
- Those who suffer from gum diseases, cavities, dental plaque, acid reflux, tonsil stones, and any other periodontal disease.
- Those who maintain poor dental and oral hygiene.
If you belong to any of the above-mentioned categories, you can be at the risk of developing bad breath.
Bad breath Causes
There are several causes of bad breath which can even affect the healthiest people occasionally. Here are some bad breath causes for your reference:
- Poor oral health: A person having poor oral hygiene like not brushing or flossing regularly can develop bad breath from food particles that remain in the mouth can result in plaque build-up releasing bad odors. This can lead to gingivitis and periodontal diseases.
- Food: Food that we consume is the primary source of bad smell in the mouth. Some foods like onions, garlic, fish, spicy foods, acidic beverages, and coffee leave a lingering smell in the mouth. A low-carb diet leads to ketone release causing the fruity odor.
- Tobacco products: Smoking and chewing tobacco leave a chemical stain in the mouth that causes bad breath. Smoking becomes a reason for gum disease and oral cancer which in turn causes bad breath.
- Dry mouth: It is also called xerostomia. When there is insufficient saliva in the mouth that cleans and moistens the mouth, results in bad breath. Dry mouth caused by medications, salivary gland problems, connective tissue disorders, or breathing through the mouth can be the cause of bad breath.
- Health problems: Sore throat, pneumonia, sinusitis, diabetes, bronchitis, acid reflux, indigestion, lactose intolerance, kidney, and liver diseases are some of the causes of bad breath.
Besides the above reasons, morning breath, medications, dentures, and braces can cause bad breath.
How is Bad Breath diagnosed?
In normal cases, you can do a self-assessment to find the causes or consult a bad breath doctor. In chronic cases, you shall involve a doctor for bad breath diagnosis who can check your oral hygiene and other symptoms. The doctor or dentist will figure out the underlying cause of your problem through physical examination, and checking your medical history and habits. The bad breath test conducted by your doctor will involve checking on your breath from the nose and mouth. Usually, the back of the tongue is the source of bad smell. In certain cases, the dentist will scrape it and rate the odor on the scale.
How is Bad breath treated?
The bad breath treatment will start with good oral hygiene using mouth rinses and toothpaste. Further treatment will vary depending on the causes. However, a dentist shall be consulted to figure out the exact cause and might refer to any other specialist if bad breath is caused by any underlying disease condition. If bad breath is caused by plaque build-up, the dentist will prescribe you to take medicine for bad breath that kills bacteria. At cult.fit, you can be tension free because you will find all the expertise under one roof. You will also find their presence in all cities nearby making it convenient to find a doctor in your locality. For bad breath cures, you can search on their website for details of doctors and send a WhatsApp message to book an appointment. They will ensure your privacy and provide secure treatment.
How can Bad breath be Prevented?
There are certain lifestyle and home remedies available for bad breath prevention. They are:
- Practice brushing your teeth after every meal.
- Floss at least once a day
- Clean dentures and braces regularly
- Quit smoking and tobacco chewing
- Drink plenty of water
- Change your toothbrush when it is frayed
- Change your diet
- Schedule regular dental check-ups
All the above will help you get rid of bad breath if practiced religiously.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Balayam | Bakasana | Jnana Yoga | Chakrasana | Naukasana | Vakrasana | Siddhasana | Kurmasana | Gomukhasana | Parsvottanasana | Salabhasana | Mayurasana | Astavakrasana | Anantasana | Kukkutasana | Uttanpadasana | Purvottanasana | Kukkutasana | Karnapidasana | Padahastasana | Mandukasana | Karnapidasana | Garudasana | Parvatasana | Yoni Mudra | Vayu Mudra | Ashwini Mudra | Surya Mudra | Prana Mudra | Prithvi Mudra | Khechari Mudra | Supta Vajrasana | Baddha Padmasana | Shanmukhi Mudra | Yoga Mudrasana | Shambhavi Mudra | Akarna Dhanurasana
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Sumo Deadlift | Superman Pose | Free Hand Exercise | Benefits Of Deadlift | Hrithik Roshan Workout | Exercise To Increase Height | Exercise To Reduce Hand Fat
Top Search Terms For Fitness
Apan Vayu Mudra | Eka Pada Sirsasana | Yoga For Flat Tummy | Yoga To Control Anger | Types Of Pranayama | Yoga To Reduce Thigh Fat | Yoga For Irregular Periods