There is hardly anything that can compare to tucking into bed with a warm bowl of KhowSuey on a weekend. In fact, KhowSuey lovers can hardly go without ordering the dish when at an Asian restaurant. But is the popular KhowSuey as healthy as it is believed to be? Let us find out more about KhowSuey and its health quotient!
What is Khow Suey?
Khow Suey is a sumptuous Burmese (from Burma) noodle dish. Khow Suey comprises of a delicately spiced coconut milk sauce and is served with a variety of condiments and toppings that elevates the dish and gives it a burst of different amazing flavors.
Different kinds of Khow Suey
There are many variants of the KhowSuey. People across the world have tailored the Burmese KhowSuey to suit their local ingredients and preferences. Some recipes, such as Chicken Khow Suey, feature Chicken stock, paprika, and cayenne peppers. While there are some that feature fish sauce and peanuts. Then, there are vegetarian variants, such as the Malaysian Veg Curry & Rice Meal.
Here are a few of the plenty types of KhowSuey.
- MohingaKhowSuey: This kind of KhowSuey is one of the most famous breakfasts in Myanmar. This variant of KhowSuey contains a variety of ingredients and is served with Fish soup which lends it a unique and delicious taste.
- Nan GyiThoke: This is a KhowSuey salad mixed with chicken curry. This Chicken KhaoSuey Recipe is usually served with toppings like a crispy fritter, fish cake, boiled egg, and fried pea. This KhowSuey Origin is in Mandalay and is a popular snack, breakfast, or lunch in Myanmar.
- ShewTaungKhowSuey: This is another Chicken KhowSuey variant made using egg noodles, chicken curry, and coconut milk.
- Shan KhowSuey: This Burmese KhowSuey variant originated in the Shan State and comprises of shredded chicken or pork meat cooked with soybean gravy.
- Kaw yay KhowSuey: This Burmese KhowSuey Recipeis also known as gooey Khowsuey. This KhowSuey Recipe uses corn starch to make the noodle soup very thick.
Other Khowsuey variants include Myay O Mee Shay, Burmese KhowSuey Indian Style, etc. It is also served as the Asian Veg Curry & Rice in many restaurants. Different types of Burmese KhaoSuey require different cooking methods. No matter the kind of KhowSuey you make, it is always a hearty meal and is widely consumed comfort food.
Major Ingredients of KhaoSuey
Burmese Khao Suey has a popular name as one of the healthy dishes in both vegetarian and non-vegetarian variants. Burmese KhaoSuey is a gluten-free, sugar-free dish that is prepared using a lot of veggies. This makes up for the healthy quotient of the KhowSuey.
- Noodles: When made with egg noodles, the KhaoSuey becomes all the more nutritious because of the added protein. The vegetarian variant of KhaoSuey can be made using rice noodles.
- Coconut milk: One of the major Khao Suey ingredients is coconut milk. KhaoSuey Recipe comprises of a delicately spiced coconut milk curry that forms the base of the dish. The rich flavor and creamy consistency of coconut milk give the Khao Suey a unique texture and an unforgettable flavor. The health benefits of coconut milk include:
- Coconut milk in Khao Seuy Recipe is rich in short and medium-chain triglycerides which are considered to be healthy fats.
- Coconut milk in KhaoSeuy Recipe is rich in Vitamin C and E which are known for their anti-oxidant properties.
- Coconut milk in Khow Suey Recipe is rich in electrolytes such as potassium, magnesium, and phosphorous. Potassium is essential for healthy muscle functioning and maintenance of a normal heart rhythm. Magnesium is crucial for the maintenance of normal nerve and muscle function as well as a healthy immune system. Phosphorous is an important structural component of teeth and bones.
- Coconut milk in Khow Suey Recipe is known to increase the levels of HDL cholesterol in the body.
- Coconut milk in Khow Suey Veg Recipe contains lauric acid which is known for its antiseptic properties and assists the body in fighting infections caused by fungi, viruses, and bacteria.
- Coconut milk in Khow Suey Veg Recipe has a significant amount of iron.
- Additionally, coconut milk in Khao Suey Recipe Veg is a healthy substitute for individuals that are lactose intolerant.
- Meat: The traditional Burmese KhaoSuey is made with either chicken, fish, or pork. Such meat is known to be high in protein content and various essential minerals required for the body to function in a healthy way.
- Vegetables: The KhaoSuey Recipe Veg features a variety of vegetables in the creamy curry. The high amount of vegetables not just make the dish sumptuous but also help in providing the body with the essential nutrition it requires making the KhaoSuey a wholesome dish.
Health risks of Khao Suey
While the tasty Burmese KhaoSuey has a lot of health benefits and is considered a healthy meal, it may also have some disadvantages for some people.
Since coconut milk makes the base of the dish and has health benefits, it may also have some side-effects that one should know about.
- Consumption of too much coconut milk can pose the risk of high cholesterol and cardiovascular diseases. This makes it unsuitable in larger servings for people with heart diseases.
- Owing to the high dietary fibers from coconut milk, KhaoSuey can cause digestive problems. Eating too much KhaoSuey can cause gas or constipation.
- Coconut milk contains too much sugar. This can make the KhaoSuey an unsuitable option in large servings if you suffer from diabetes.
- The coconut milk in KhaoSuey may give you a high amount of calories. One medium-sized serving of KhaoSuey has around 600 calories. Therefore, one should consume KhaoSuey in limited quantities to avoid any health side effects in the long run.
- While KhaoSuey is considered a healthy meal, it is not a friendly meal for someone who is trying to lose weight.
- You should consume KhaoSuey if you are allergic to tree nuts as coconut is a tree nut.
All these above points signify the importance of consumption of KhaoSuey in limited quantities and not going overboard with it.
All said and done, KhaoSuey is a wholesome dish and the favorite noodle dish of many people all over the world. It is comforting and packed with goodness and flavors. The dish can be easily prepared in an instant pot and can be easily customized to one’s taste and preference. In fact, to make the meal even more power-packed, you can add tofu as well.
The secret to enjoying Khaosuey is by keeping an eye on the ingredients while cooking and also on the portion size of the meal that you consume. When consumed in limited quantities, you can enjoy the dish to its optimum without facing any health issues. So feel free to indulge and enjoy the Burmese KhaoSuey every once in a while in healthy, small, or medium-sized servings.