Alkaline – the word that was usually associated with the pH level is now often linked with foods. Though the context is still related to pH levels, the concept of alkaline foods is new and trending.
Often appreciated by celebrities and their followers, an alkaline diet is a type of eating plan that focuses on consuming fresh vegetables and fruits to maintain the optimal level of pH in the body.
If you are a newbie and do not have any idea about an alkaline diet, foods to eat, and why to even consider eating alkaline vegetables and alkaline fruits, keep reading.
What Are Alkaline Foods?
Let us begin with the primary question – what are alkaline foods?
To understand this, you have to clear the concept of the alkaline diet. Developed during the mid-1800s, this concept proposed that food leave acid or alkaline “ash” after they get metabolized in the body. And this leftover ash affects the body’s pH level to make it either too acidic or alkaline.
Now alkaline foods list is prepared based on the pH level of individual foods. Some diets may include grains or slightly acidic foods but generally, you should pick alkaline rich foods. Here are the top 10 alkaline foods you can consider if you are looking for alkaline foods to eat:
5. Sweet Potato
6. Lettuce Wraps
This is not a standard list of the top 10 alkaline foods. You can include various alkaline fruits
and vegetables in your alkaline foods list.
In addition to knowing which foods are high in alkaline, you should also have an idea about which food to avoid if you are planning to follow a diet of only high alkaline foods. Here is a list of foods that are acidic and should not be included in your high alkaline foods list:
- Meat like corned beef, turkey, veal, canned lunch meat, etc.,
- Dairy products such as milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, etc.,
- Grains such as brown rice, rye bread, rolled oats, spaghetti, etc.,
- Other packaged and processed food items
Other than these, there are some neutral foods you may eat with high alkaline foods but in a limited amount:
- Natural fats such as cream, butter, olive oil, and milk
A Basic Alkaline Foods Chart For A Day
Here is a sample chart for alkaline foods to eat in a day:
- Breakfast: Start your day with a power smoothie made with berries, banana, spinach, avocado, almond milk, coconut oil, chia seeds, and cinnamon to taste.
- Lunch: Prepare a fresh salad of Lettuce wraps with sliced avocadoes topped with crushed pistachios and other alkaline vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, etc.,
- Snack: Have a sliced pear with hemp seeds and cinnamon.
- Dinner: Time to eat alkaline diet foods such as roasted sweet potato and roasted broccoli. Make sure you use coconut oil for roasting these top alkaline foods.
- Dessert: End the day with a delicious cup of coconut yogurt topped with pomegranate seeds.
Health Benefits Of Alkaline Foods
After knowing what are alkaline foods, it is time to learn about alkaline foods benefits. There are a number of studies still being conducted on the benefits of alkaline foods. And there are also a number of studies that already suggest that having alkaline foods might prove to be beneficial for you. Early evidence suggests that alkaline foods benefits may include the following:
- May Preserve Your Muscular Mass: With increasing age, most people tend to lose their muscle mass. In fact, this becomes one of the major reasons for falls and fractures in aged people. Having the best alkaline foods might help you in preserving your muscle mass and preventing falls and fractures.
- May Prevent Diabetes: If you want to take an alkaline diet, you must have to discourage food items such as full-fat dairy and meats. These foods contain a high amount of saturated fat and are not healthy for your heart. Replacing this food with the best alkaline foods such as avocados, olive oil, and nuts may reduce your saturated fat intake and prevent you from diabetes.
- May Protect Against Kidney Disease: There is a disease named metabolic acidosis which is caused by an imbalance of acids and bases in your body. People who have higher dietary acid are said to have a high risk of metabolic acidosis development. By taking alkaline foods to reduce acidity, you will reduce the risk of this disease.
- May Prevent Cardiovascular Disease: In a study done on the effects of a high acid load diet, it is found that such diet is associated with higher mortality rates and a heart disease named atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. By having alkaline foods, you may prevent yourself from this cardiovascular disease.
- Forces You To Have A Healthy Diet: In your high alkaline foods list, you will have to reduce the consumption of most unhealthy snacks and increase the intake of foods and vegetables. And this will eventually fulfill your need for various nutrients.
When it comes to diet plans, there are plenty of options to choose from. An alkaline diet with alkaline rich foods is also a great one even though there is no specific data available to prove it. After all, the diet does contain various fresh fruits and vegetables, and that in itself is a great step towards a healthy body.
If you wish to include top alkaline foods in your diet, you can always do so but if you wish to prepare an alkaline foods chart and want to know which foods are high in alkaline, it is best to seek an expert’s suggestion. They can create a healthier plan while including all the alkaline vegetables and other alkaline foods to reduce acidity and prevent kidney stones and urinary tract infections.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Mayur Aasan | Aswini Mudra | Bakasana Benefits | Balasana Yoga | Salabhasana Steps | Uttanpad Aasan | Naukasana Benefits | Types of Pranayam | Surya Namaskar Mudra | Vayu Mudra for Gas | Shambhavi Mudra steps | Benefits of Yoni Mudra | Benefits of Vajrasana | Benefits of Gyan Mudra | Benefits of Veerasana | Benefits of Dandasana | Benefits of Uttanasana | Benefits of Parvatasana | Benefits of Gomukhasana | Benefits of Prana Mudra | Benefits of Padahastasana
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Dragon flags | Kickbacks Workout | Dumbell Pullover | Cat Camel Pose | Bent-Over Row | Bar Dips Exercise | Cable Chest Fly | Leg Curl Benefits | Air Chair Squat | Barbell Curl Benefits | Side Plank Exercise | Seated Row Exercise | Sumo Deadlift Benefits | Best Brain Exercise | Skipping increase Height | Jumping Jacks Benefits | Free Hand Exercise Benefits | High Knees Exercise Benefits
Top Search Terms Fitness
Trapezitis meaning | Does Mango cause Pimples | Benefits of Khechari Mudra | How to do Crunches at Home | Benefits of Supta Vajrasana | Benefits of doing Shirshasana | Apan Vayu Mudra Blood Pressure | Prithvi Mudra for Hair Growth | Vakrasana Steps, Benefits and Precautions | Mandukasana Benefits and Precautions | How to use Castor Oil for Irregular Periods