Home Remedies for Irregular Periods & Symptoms
*Caution : Some of the remedies mentioned like Pineapple, Papaya and Castor Oil should not be taken or used if you suspect you're pregnant or planning for a pregnancy. Make sure you always talk to a Doctor before use.
Home remedies are natural ways to regulate your periods safely without any side-effects and additionally also contribute towards improving your overall health. Read on to find the top solutions to manage Menstrual Cycles.
1. Watch what you Eat
Eating too little food or not getting the right mix of nutrients may affect the glands that regulate your body’s hormone balance and can affect your periods.
- Say NO to Low-carb diets as not getting enough carbohydrates can lead to irregular or even missed cycles. Make sure you include at least 45 to 65 percent of your total daily calorie intake from carbohydrates.
- Say NO to High-fibre diet. Your body does not need more than 25 to 30 grams of fibre per day.
- Eat foods rich in Folate (Folic Acid) like Leafy greens, broccoli. beans, lentils, avocados to name a few.
- Eat foods rich in Fats especially Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids (PUFAs) like vegetable oils, walnuts and flax seeds.
2. Use Natural Spices
Cinnamon supplements are known to to significantly reduce menstrual pain and bleeding,
Ginger mixed with Jaggery and taken before and during your period helps in decreasing mood swings and other behavioral symptoms of premenstrual syndrome. (PMS)
Turmeric has similar effects as the estrogen hormone. It can be taken by mixing one spoon of turmeric in a glass of hot water or just by adding it in your daily cooking.
Cumin can be used in the treatment of irregular period. Take 2 spoons of cumin seeds and soak in water over night and drink in the morning.
3. External application of Herbal Oils
Apply 3 to 6 grams of Evening Primrose Oil everyday helps with hot flashes, PMS and breast pain.
Apply Castor Oil over the painful cramps area of your abdomen provides instant relief.
4. Exercise Regularly & Maintain a Healthy Body Weight
Moderate exercise like walking, cycling or swimming for 30 minutes everyday loosens the muscles and helps restore the hormones needed to bring back a regular menstrual cycle.
5. Get your Beauty Sleep
- Staying up late or not getting adequate sleep can affect your hormones and impact your menstruation.
- Insufficient sleep affects your Melatonin levels, which play a part in regulating your menstrual cycle. and aggravates the situation further.
- Make sure you get at least 6–8 hours every night regularly
6. Find ways to Relax and De-stress
Being stressed produces hormones such as cortisol or adrenaline, that inhibit the production of the hormones estrogen and progesterone, which are essential to maintaining a regular menstrual cycle.
Some ways to relieve stress include -
- Practice Yoga and Meditation in a calm quiet place.
- Spend time with friends, pets and loved ones.
- Take a long warm bath
- Try keeping a journal or engage in an enjoyable hobby
Acupressure is a form of massage that can be self-administered. Start by relaxing in a comfortable position. Close your eyes, breathe deeply and apply pressure to the specific points mentioned below for correction of your menstrual cycle.
- Union Valley Point : This point is located in the fleshy joint between the thumb and index finger on both hands. Applying pressure on the fleshy region helps in normalizing delayed and irregular periods.
- Sea of Energy : This point is located exactly 2 fingers width below the belly button. Massage this point using a circular motion for 10 seconds. Repeat as many times you want during the day.
- Returning Points : This point is located exactly 1-inch width away from your abdomen on both sides. Apply pressure at the points two thumb widths away on either side.
8. Daily Dose of Fruit
- Pineapple contains Bromelain, an enzyme that has anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties and soften the lining of the uterus to regulate your periods
- Green Unripe Papaya is considered useful in regulating menstrual flow as it helps contract muscle fibers in the uterus
Alternative Medical Solutions
If your periods are not responding to natural remedies or you experience any of the below mentioned instances regularly, you should schedule an Online Consultation from the comfort of your home with our Top Gynaecologists at carefit
You should seek help:
- If your period is heavy and painful,
- If your period lasts longer than a week.
- If you haven’t had a period in three months
- If the length of your period cycle is lesser than 20 days (short cycles)
- If the length of your period cycle is more than 35 days (long cycles)
On consultation, your carefit Doctor may prescribe a Hormonal Contraceptive Pill that is best suited to your requirement. These Oral Contraceptives commonly known as Birth Control Pills contain the hormones estrogen and progesterone and help in triggering periods.Do you have more queries about the article or are you confused about the kind of treatment or regimen recommended or if you're unsure about whether this is the right solution for you? Get clear and straightforward advise to all your questions, fears or doubts right from the comfort of your home, by booking one of our condition specific Diagnostic Screening Packs or schedule an Online Consultation with our Top Physicians, Gynaecologists and other Health Experts at carefit.Read More | Do you want to know more about Menstrual Disorders, their causes, symptoms and treatment? Check out our Post on Introduction to Menstrual Abnormalities & Disorders.Note : This Article is Not a substitute for Medical Advice or Treatment. If you are suffering from chronic illnesses, taking regular medications or are vulnerable because of other physiological conditions like pregnancy, or low immunity, it is strongly advised that you consult a Medical Professional before starting or following any new regimen to rule out adverse side effects, contraindications and undesirable drug interactions with other medications.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Akarna Dhanurasana Steps | Accomplished Pose | Benefits of Jnana Yoga | Shanmukhi Mudra Meaning | Chit Shakti Meditation Benefits | Yoga for Buttocks and Thighs | Yoga for Slim Waist and Flat Stomach | Best Time to Do Hatha Yoga | Steps of Chakrasana | Trikonasana Benefits | Boat Pose | Parivrtta Trikonasana Benefits | Ardha Parsvottanasana | Raja Yoga Meaning | Lotus Pose Strengthens | Salabhasana for Beginners | Upavistha Konasana Chakra | Uttanpadasana Meaning | Virasana Preparatory Poses | Yoganidrasana Benefits
Top Search Terms For Exercises
How to Do Bicycle Exercise | Chest Pullover Muscles Worked | Chest and Back Workout Benefits | Knock Knee Correction Exercise | Chest Cable Fly | Chest Day Meaning | Chest Workout for Men | Aerobic Exercise to Reduce Belly Fat | Free Hand Exercise Meaning | Exercises for Hand Fat | Jumping Jacks Benefits | Db Lateral Lunges | Benefits of Leg Curls | Standing Belly Fat Workout | Naukasana Meaning | Benefits of Supta Vajrasana | Sumo Squat Exercise
Search Terms For Fitness
Beard Growth Tips | Best Diet for Weight Loss |How to Develop the Habit of Reading | Bunny Hop Exercise Benefits | How to Grow Beard Naturally | Stretches for the Middle Splits | Trapezitis Symptoms | Anulom Vilom Benefits and Precautions | Chit Shakti Meditation for Peace | Garudasana Procedure and Benefits | Mind-blowing Facts About Meditation | Ardha Chandrasana Benefits and Precautions | Baddha Padmasana Steps and Benefits | Back Exercises at Home Dumbbells