What is poor eyesight and how does it affect our lives?
We often think about how to improve eyesight and have better eye health. But before we talk about how to increase eyesight, it is important to know things that cause poor eyesight.Bad eyesight or low vision is a condition where you experience loss of sight, blurry vision, or seeing red dots in your line of vision. It also includes night blindness, glare problems, and blind spots. While the partial loss of sight can be corrected with visual aids, others are beyond correction with eyeglasses, surgery, or contact lenses. There are several ill-effects of having poor sight, which goes much beyond the hassle of wearing spectacles and contact lenses. These range from being a mild inconvenience to seriously debilitating effects including:
- Since your eyes cannot focus on light properly, you get frequent headaches.
- It reduces your ability to do your daily activities smoothly. This includes things such as reading a newspaper, watching TV, cooking, and even recognizing people across the street.
- It impacts your interactions with people and may make you feel isolated. When felt over a period, this isolation may make you feel stressed and depressed.
What are the things that lead to bad eyesight?
Before we talk about how to improve eyesight, it is important to know the common causes of bad eyesight. These are related to your lifestyle, genetics, and health conditions. Here are some of the things that cause bad eyesight:
These errors include myopia (nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness), or astigmatism (blurry or fuzzy vision).
Certain diseases are responsible for the deterioration in your vision. These include Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD), cataracts (build-up of eye proteins), and glaucoma (pressure inside the eyeballs that don't allow the eye fluids to drain out as usual).
Certain health concerns such as diabetes, stroke, migraine, preeclampsia, and psoriasis, result in the development of eye-related problems.
Some refractive errors such as myopia and hyperopia get passed down generations. If either of your parents or siblings suffer from these, it increases your chances nearly 10 times more.
Your lifestyle factors and habits have a major impact on your vision. Some of these factors include:
- Exposing your eyes to too much screen time.
- Low water intake leads to puffy, red, and dehydrated eyes.
- Sleeping for less than 6-8 hours a day fatigues and strains your eyes. This also causes dry eyes.
- Rubbing your eyes constantly may lead to an aggregated myopia or glaucoma.
- Smoking leads to worsening age-related macular degeneration, glaucoma, cataracts, and dry eyes.
- Spending long hours in the sun without protecting your eyes.
- Working or reading in dim light for long periods.
- Having poor dietary habits and skimping food sources of vitamins A, C, and E, zinc, omega-3 fatty acids, lutein, beta carotene, etc.
- Skipping your regular eye appointments.
What are some tips for improving and maintaining good eyesight?
Now that we know the implications that poor vision has on our life and health, the first question that comes to our mind is how to increase eyesight. It takes a lot of effort to improve eyesight and there are no quick fixes. Read on to know a holistic approach on how to improve eyesight. This includes your diet, lifestyle, and exercises that will make a difference and answer all your questions on how to improve eyesight naturally at home.Follow these tips on how to increase eye power:
a. How to improve eyesight through diet?
Thinking about how to improve eyesight naturally at home? Improve your dietary habits to include more leafy greens, carrots, spinach, strawberries, sweet potato, red pepper, eggs, broccoli, zucchini, and more. The nutrients and minerals in these foods prevent the deterioration of your vision.
b. How to improve vision in 7 days through exercise?
Wondering how to improve eyesight through exercising? Exercising and maintaining a healthy weight is the key to improving eye problems easily and quickly. When your weight is at an optimum level, you can control conditions like diabetes, which have a direct impact on your eye health. Try these face yoga poses for better eye health:
- Palming: One of the best yoga asanas that helps in reducing dry eye syndrome and relaxing your eyes, especially if you spend a lot of time in front of a screen. To do this asana, rub your palms vigorously till they become warm and place them on your eyelids.
- Focus change pose: This exercise challenges your line of focus and makes it sharper. Hold your finger a few inches away from your eyes and focus on it. Move your finger away slowly while holding your focus. Look away and bring the finger back towards your eye.
c. How to improve eyesight while working?
Thinking about how to increase eye power? If you need to work for long hours in front of a screen, ease the strain using the 20-20-20 rule. All you need to do is to after every 20 minutes of screen gazing, stop looking at your computer and look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds. This will reduce your eye strain and reduce dryness.
d. How to improve eyesight by keeping up with your eye doctor?
Wondering how to improve vision in 7 days? The key to great eye health is to schedule eye examinations regularly. Besides looking for an ophthalmologist near me when you notice eye problems, you should schedule preventive eye checkups also. This is a great way to know your risk factors if you have a family history of eye problems and how to prevent eye issues.
e. How to improve eyesight by maintaining hygiene?
Given how delicate your eyes are, they are more prone to infections from germs. They get affected quickly, which may lead to vision problems. If you wear contact lenses, always keep them clean. Remember to handle your spectacles and lenses with clean hands and never rub your eyes with dirty hands. This ensures better eye health for a long time to come.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Balasana | Parvatasana | Mayoorasanam | Pranayama Types | Shambhavi Mudra | Ashwini Mudra Steps | Bakasana Information | Dandasana Meaning | Uttanpadasana Benefits | Reclined Eagle Pose | What Is Padahastasana | Balayam Mudra Benefits | Precautions Of Vakrasana | How To Perform Yoga Nidra | Best Mudra For Depression | Benefits Of Prana Mudra | Spiritual Benefits Of Yoga | How To Do Dhanurasana | Yoga Workout For Belly Fat | Baddha Padmasana Information | Benefits Of Khechari Mudra | Apan Vayu Mudra For Anxiety
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Swimming | Bb Shrugs | Side Crunches | Glutes Kickbacks | Forearm Workout | Inner Thigh Exercises | Cable Fly High To Low | Frozen Shoulder Stretches | Jaw Exercises For Jawline | Barbell Curl Benefits | Exercises To Get Wings | Bridge Workout Benefits | Arnold Press Which Muscles | Landmine Press At Home | Lower Chest Workout Men | Easy Exercises To Increase Height | Dumbbell Pullover Muscle Worked | Best Chest And Back Workout
Top Search Terms Fitness
Trapezitis Meaning | Yoga For Irregular Periods | How To Do The Box Splits | How To Reduce Anger By Yoga | Advantages Of Gomukhasana | Akarna Dhanurasana Benefits | Best Mudra For Stomach Problems | Bhujangasana Is Good For Improving | How Many Crunches For Beginners | Does Rope Skipping Increase Height | Insulin Resistance Dark Circles Under Eyes