What is Meditation to Relieve Stress?
Stress is something that is no alien to us. Don't you feel stressed when you have never-ending emails in your inbox, waiting for a revert? Or, when you are waiting for the report card of your child? Every waking hour of humankind can be filled with stress, and that is the universal truth. The daily tribulations of life can fill us with tension and worry, but how we cope with these stresses and what techniques we use to relieve ourselves of stress play a major role.Â One such technique is â€“Â meditation to relieve stress.Â Yes, while there are multiple pills and drugs that you get to buy in the market, if you wish to attain the mind's holistic well-being, tryÂ meditation for stress management.Â
Advantages or Benefits ofÂ meditation to relieve stress
- Concentration meditationÂ helps relax the mind and the body.Â Meditation to relieve stressÂ allows the body to move out of the 'fight and flight' syndrome effectually; thereby, helping normalize your blood pressure and keep the heart rate under control.
- Meditation and stress reductionÂ are closely related. Meditation helps release neurotransmitters like Dopamine and Serotonin that help the brain calm down and remain relaxed. For example, Dopamine enhances sleep quality and elevates your mood. Serotonin helps ease the tension, remove the cluttered feeling and the feeling of worthlessness from your mind.
- The effect ofÂ meditation to relieve stressÂ is also related to the release of Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid that helps in controlling fearful and anxious thoughts.
- The other effect ofÂ meditation to relieve stressÂ is the release of Endorphins that enhance the mind and the body's well-being.
- Meditation also plays a crucial role in the enhancement of concentration, attention, and focus. A study revealed that mindfulness meditation helped improve students' memory who participated in the survey in two weeks.
- If you experience emotional stress,Â meditation to relieve stressÂ is the right way to go aboutÂ it.Â Due to meditation, you can observe your feelings from a distance and make decisions more objectively.
Disadvantages of Meditation to Relieve Stress
In some extreme and rate cases, meditation can also prove to be a deterrent to relieve stress. Some of these disadvantages are-
- Problem in sensory perception.
- Affects the emotions of the participants
- The sense of self of the person gets skewed.
- Loss of motivation
- In some cases, hallucinations, panic, and traumatic memories.Â
Meditation to relieve stress - How it affects the overall mental health?
Even science has proven that meditating using the right technique for eight weeks can alleviate stress levels. A lot of scientific research and studies have been conducted in the context ofÂ meditation to relieve stress. These have summarized similar findings â€“ that meditation is one of the most effective tools in stress management. In the words of science, meditation helps reprogram the brain to strengthen it to such an extent that it can battle stress and anxiety with more effectiveness.Â
What are the different ways to practice meditation to relieve stress?
- Deep breathing forÂ meditation to relieve stress: this is one of the simplest and yet the most powerfulÂ stress relief meditationÂ techniques that keep your stress levels under control. The good part is that it can be done at any time of the day and practically anywhere. Ensure that you sit in a comfortable position. Your back should be straight. Place one of your hands on your chest and the other on your stomach. Focus on your inhalation and exhalation. As you inhale and exhale, your stomach should move rhythmically â€“ rise and fall motion.
- Â Muscle relaxation technique progressively forÂ meditation to relieve stress: one of the ideal meditation methods reduces stress. In this two-step process, you tense your muscles first and then relax them. You need to work on different muscle groups for optimized results. Start with your foot â€“ slowly tense or squeeze tight the muscles on one foot. Count till ten and then relax. Feel the tension and then the relaxed feeling before shifting your focus to the next foot. Continue with other parts of the body.
- Body scanÂ meditation to relieve stress:Â every part of your body is scanned in this process without tensing them up thought. Lie down and relax. As you breathe in and out, shift your focus on each part â€“ start with the toes; let your imagination help you feel how each breath of yours reaches the toe. Do this for at least five seconds before shifting to the next toe.
- MindfulnessÂ meditation to relieve stress:Â this is one of the most popular techniques ofÂ meditation to release stress.Â Mindfulness is all about being in the present; being aware of what is happening right now. Mindfulness meditation has proven to reduce stress and anxiety because it teaches the mind to be in the relaxed-response mode consciously. It is about training the mind so that when it is anxious or stressed, it uses the skills to discern the essential from the non-essential. To know more about how this technique ofÂ stress relief meditationÂ works and to learn it the proper way, it is important to seek help from professionals at a Meditation Center.
Tips and Techniques of Meditation to Relieve Stress
Declutter- One of the crucial aspects of meditation to reduce stress is that it allows the mind to streamline the thought process. Our brains have complex jumbled up thoughts. It gets stressed when these thoughts get all mixed-up, and the brain is unable to declutter.Â Meditation to relieve stressÂ helps the mind do exactly that â€“ declutter, which allows it to be focused, dispelling negative thoughts and giving priority to positive thinking,Get into the Response Mode- Let's understand the concept ofÂ 'meditation to reduces stress' biologically. Under stress, the mind has two options to choose from â€“ fight or flight. It happens because of the release of hormones like epinephrine and norepinephrine. With meditation, the mind tries to handle stressed situations by not going into the fight or flight mode; it gets into the response mode, characterized by a relaxed feeling. Your body needs to be trained for this relaxation response behaviour.It is important to learn the right techniques ofÂ meditation to relieve stress.Â It is also important to understand the logic, science, and art of meditation.Â
Meditation to Relieve Stress
The art of meditation has been practiced for centuries now. While it evolved as a way of self-realization and knowing the inner self, it is used majorly for stress reduction and relaxation. Do not be in a hurry. It is important to feel relaxed. So, set aside a time every day â€“Â morning meditationÂ works best. Listen toÂ meditation music,Â if possible. The benefits will start to come in â€“ but have patience, and your stress levels will gradually decrease.Â