Visit any gym or talk to a fitness enthusiast, they will suggest you do a press, a fly or push-ups to increase the size of the chest. Not many people focus on the lower chest workout. It is a must-have part of any chest workout since it is the area that helps in defining your chest and getting a sculpted look.
Moreover, a larger chest also means you will have a stronger upper body; which again improves your overall strength and quality of life. In short, you must not neglect workouts for lower chest.
In this article, we have gathered some of the best lower chest exercises you can do at the gym or also include them in your workout at home. Though a few do need special equipment, you can try their variations to modify and use equipment that you can easily find at home. Let’s get started:
Top Lower Chest Exercises To Try
You may have heard of the dips workout. Chest dips is a kind of modification of the same. In this lower chest workout, you have to lean forward to put more pressure and strain on the lower chest muscles. This again helps in strengthening and building muscles in the area.
Here is how you can perform chest dips:
- Stand in the middle of the parallel bars.
- Grab them and push your body upwards.
- Now, learn forward for about 30-40 degrees or as much as you feel comfortable with. Do not lean too much as it can cause more stress on your inner chest and shoulders.
- Slowly lower yourself till your elbows are parallel to the ground. If you are an expert, you can lower yourself a bit more.
- Now press your body again upwards to return to the initial position.
Note: If you wish to do this lower chest workout at home, use a stable chair or any other fixed bar carefully.
Push-ups are the classic chest workout but when it comes to the best lower chest exercises, you have to try a push-up variation called the incline push-ups. As the name suggests, this lower chest home workout requires you to perform the classic push-up at an inclined angle. This is done to put more focus on the lower chest muscles.
You can increase the difficulty level of an incline push-up by using a lower object such as a stair or adding a weighted vest for additional resistance. However, if you are a beginner, use an elevated object such as a step platform or a flat workout bench or even a jump box.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to perform a lower chest workout at home:
- Place your hands on an elevated surface at a shoulder-wide distance.
- Your feet should be close to each other.
- Now, align your body in such a way that the head, back, and legs are inline just like a plank position.
- Inhale and bend your elbows to lower your body downwards. Keep moving till the inclined platform’s edge touches your lower chest.
- Stay for a second and move your body back to the initial position.
- This is one rep. Perform 8–12 reps for one set.
Note: If you want to add more push-up variations to your lower chest home workout, try Pseudo Planche Push-up and Hindu Push-up.
This is one of the most popular lower chest exercises you will find people doing at the gym. The workout is done on a cable machine. But if you are planning to do lower chest exercises at home, you can try its variations with resistance bands and dumbbells.
Also, cable crossover can be done in three ways depending on the angles. These three types include the mid-chest cable crossover, high cable crossover, and lower cable crossover.
Below, we have jotted a step-by-step guide to a higher cable crossover as that’s more common in workouts for lower chest:
- Start by fixing the cable machines’ pulleys at each side and shifting them to the highest position.
- Grip the handles of the cable and stand in the middle.
- Walk a few paces forward and slightly bend your elbows. This is the initial position.
- Engage your pecs and pull both handles downwards to the mid-thigh level of your body in an arc range of motion.
- While doing this, make sure that your hands meet or cross; thus, the name cable crossover.
- Hold this position for two seconds and squeeze your chest muscles tightly.
- Slowly return your arms to the starting position as you exhale.
Note: To make it more challenging, you can also try single-arm cable crossover or flat bench dumbbell fly.
To create the best lower chest workout that’s diverse and caters to all your needs, you can also add the following exercises:
1. Decline Bench Press: You can use either dumbbells, kettlebells, or a barbell to perform this bench press. If you are doing this workout at the gym, you can use a decline bench but to do such lower chest exercises at home, all you need to do is lie on the floor and lift your body up. To get a higher angle, you can also place something under your toes.
2. Seated Chest Press: This is the best lower chest workout you can do at the gym. It is done with a machine that allows you to extend your elbows in front lift heavyweight. We would suggest you perform this workout under an expert’s supervision.
Tips and Things to Keep In Mind During Workouts For Lower Chest
Whether you are doing a weight loss exercise or trying the best lower chest workout, there are a few tips that you must keep in mind. These include:
- Do not eat heavy meals before or after your workouts for lower chest.
- Avoid rushing through sets or weights as it can lead to injuries and muscles strain.
- Give your muscles enough time to recover after the workouts for lower chest before pressing them again.
- If you are a beginner, it is always suggested to seek help and guidance from gym experts, especially when you have added strength training in your workouts for lower chest.
- Do not perform any of the workouts if you have a recent wrist or back injury. Consult a doctor before beginning any type of exercise or even yoga.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
tummy yoga | basic hatha yoga | uses of chakrasana | chandrasana pose | baddha meaning | jnana yoga practice | shanmukhi kriya | benefits of yoga | navasana steps | raja yoga poses | salabhasana steps | naukasana procedure | purna supta vajrasana | chronic trapezitis | ekapada uttanpadasana | benefits of hero pose | garudasana steps | extended triangle pose | yoganidrasana meaning | ardha siddhasana posture | buttocks reduce yoga | how to do salabhasana | 10 benefits of trikonasana |
Top Search Terms For Exercises
splits | plank bunny hop |russian leg curl | easy standing exercises | Sumo Squats Form | lower chest cable fly | free hand exercise | lateral lunges benefits |pullover exercise at home | best chest and back workout | knock knees best exercise | how to reduce fat in hand | jumping jacks to lose weight | upper middle lower chest workout | cardio exercises to lose belly fat |
Top Search Terms Fitness
grow beard faster | food increase metabolism | grow beard naturally |dhanurasana drawing easy | parsvottanasana variations | bicycle exercise for weight loss | best chest exercises for men at home | how to make a habit of reading books | interesting facts about meditation | anulom vilom pranayama benefits | meditation for peace of mind and concentration | upavistha konasana yoga pose | back home workout with dumbbells |