Italian dishes are much beyond pasta and pizza. Another favourite is the warm and super delicious lasagna. The rich and comforting lasagna as we know it today originated in the Middle Ages in the Italian city of Naples. Its first mention is found in a 14th-century cookbook, making it one of the oldest known types of pasta in the world. Lasagna is a dish of stacked thin pasta layers that are alternated with different fillings like vegetables, sauces, meats, cheese, etc., and baked. While traditional lasagna recipes were made with semolina, they gradually began to be made with flour. Now lasagna recipes are mostly made of durum wheat. What initially used to be a special occasion dish, lasagna is now enjoyed the world over at all times!
What are the benefits of including lasagna recipes in your diet?
While many consider lasagna recipes to be high in calories, but when cooked with leaner ingredients by following healthy recipes, lasagna is a great thing to be included in your diet. Here are some benefits of including lasagna recipes in your meal plans:
- Vegetarian lasagna recipes that include vegetables like fresh tomatoes, bell peppers, spinach, mushrooms, etc. become a source of important vitamins and minerals.
- Including lean meats in your non-vegetarian lasagna recipe give you a lot of proteins and are also low in fats that help in preventing cardiac issues.
- Making lasagna recipes with whole wheat pasta is a great source of nutrients and fibres. These help in reducing the risk of obesity, type-2 diabetes, inflammations, etc. This is also great for energising you and eliminating sluggishness and fatigue.
- Using low-fat cheese in your Italian lasagna recipe is a great way to include calcium. This helps in strengthening your bones, hair, and nails.
What are some tips for making the best lasagna every time?
Before we share some of the world's best lasagna recipes for you to try at home, here are some tips to make the most delicious and perfect lasagna at home every time:
- Use only the freshest vegetables for your veg lasagna recipe to have the best flavours, taste, and nutrition. The same applies to chicken lasagna recipes.
- Add at least five layers to your lasagna pasta recipe. This is for including a variety of meat and vegetable ingredients, sauces, and herbs.
- Begin the layering by adding sauce before the pasta. This will prevent the bottom layer from sticking.
- To keep noodles soft on the top, make sure that there are no exposed edges. Tuck in the pasta well from all sides to avoid letting it become crispy or dry.
- Be it a veg lasagna recipe or a chicken lasagna recipe, don't hesitate to experiment with spices and sauces in your lasagna recipes. Skip ricotta and traditional Italian seasoning for once and try layering with bachamel. Try spices like mint or basil.
Which are some of the best lasagna recipes to try at home?
While the dish may look complicated, lasagna recipes are incredibly easy to make at home. Here are some of the most delicious homemade lasagna recipes that you can try making:
1. Penne in tomato sauce lasagna
This classic veg lasagna recipe is an all-time-favourite and super easy to make too:
- Saute onions and garlic until they turn translucent.
- Add to this brown sugar, dried herbs, and bay leaves. Cook till it caramelises.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cook till you get a thick tomato sauce and add bay leaves at the end.
- For the Bachamel sauce, melt butter and add flour. Cook this for 2-3 minutes. Slowly start adding milk as you keep stirring. Ensure that there are no lumps. Add nutmeg, cheese, salt, and pepper. Continue till the sauce is thick and creamy.
- Start layering with tomato sauce as the first layer. Add pasta and top it with tomato sauce again.
- Spoon in bachamel sauce.
- Grate Parmesan, Cheddar, and Mozzarella cheeses.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes till the top is bubbling with the cheese.
- Rest for 10 minutes and serve this veg lasagna recipe warm.
2. Classic vegetable lasagna
This is an easy lasagna recipe for healthy and delicious lasagna. This veg lasagna recipe is so simple that even kids can make this at home:
- Heat olive oil and saute garlic and onions till they turn brown.
- Add to this tomato pulp, oregano, chilli flakes, chilli powder, tomato ketchup, and salt. Cook for 5-6 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add a bit of sugar and mix well. Cook for another minute.
- For the lasagna sheets, boil lasagna sheets for 5-7 minutes. Drain and let them cool.
- For the roasted vegetables, add garlic and chilli flakes to olive oil and saut for a few seconds. Add baby corn, broccoli, zucchini, and salt and saut for a few minutes.
- For creamy vegetables, combine milk and flour in a deep bowl and mix well. Heat butter and add garlic paste and saute on medium flame. Add broccoli, bell peppers, salt, and cook more. Add the milk and flour mixture and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Spread tomato sauce on a baking dish and place a lasagna sheet over it.
- Spread creamy vegetables and top it with tomato sauce.
- Top with roasted vegetables and spread them evenly.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over this.
- Place another layer of cooked lasagna and spread creamy vegetables over it.
- Spread tomato sauce over it and again sprinkle mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle mixed herbs and bake for 25-30 minutes till the cheese melts.
- Serve hot.
This low-calorie veg lasagna recipe is great for people who are watching their weight. This is a popular veg lasagna recipe Indian style that's easy to cook too:
- In a bowl, add flour, water, salt, and oil. Knead this into a firm dough and rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into sheets in a 1 mm thickness and boil them in salted water.
- Saute garlic in olive oil and add carrots, haricot beans, zucchini, baby corn, bell peppers, and mushrooms. Add salt, basil leaves, and pepper and cook well.
- In a pan, add tomato sauce, cinnamon, chilli flakes, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and thyme and bring to a boil.
- In another bowl, add hung curd, b chamel sauce, salt, pepper, and mix well.
- Place pasta sheets in a baking tray and top them with vegetable filling.
- Repeat this layering and add the 0% cheese sauce.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes till the top is golden brown.
- This lasagna recipe is served best topped with sauted vegetables.
This beautifully textured and comforting simple lasagna recipe is certainly worth a try! Trust this basic lasagna recipe to leave you with just taste and no guilt:
- In a bowl, knead the dough with atta, water, salt, and oil. Rest it for 30 minutes.
- Roll sheets from this and boil them in salted water.
- Saute garlic, carrots, beans, baby corn, zucchini, bell peppers, salt, pepper, and basil leaves.
- In a pan, add thyme, balsamic vinegar, chilli flakes, salt, pepper, and cinnamon to the tomato sauce and simmer for a few minutes.
- In a different bowl, add curd, bachamel sauce, salt, and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- In a greased baking tray, add a layer of tomato sauce and place few pasta sheets.
- Top with sauted chicken and alternate with bachamel sauce, tomato sauce, and pasta sheets.
- Bake till golden brown. Serve hot.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Mayur Aasan | Aswini Mudra | Bakasana Benefits | Balasana Yoga | Salabhasana Steps | Uttanpad Aasan | Naukasana Benefits | Types of Pranayam | Surya Namaskar Mudra | Vayu Mudra for Gas | Shambhavi Mudra steps | Benefits of Yoni Mudra | Benefits of Vajrasana | Benefits of Gyan Mudra | Benefits of Veerasana | Benefits of Dandasana | Benefits of Uttanasana | Benefits of Parvatasana | Benefits of Gomukhasana | Benefits of Prana Mudra | Benefits of Padahastasana
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Dragon flags | Kickbacks Workout | Dumbell Pullover | Cat Camel Pose | Bent-Over Row | Bar Dips Exercise | Cable Chest Fly | Leg Curl Benefits | Air Chair Squat | Barbell Curl Benefits | Side Plank Exercise | Seated Row Exercise | Sumo Deadlift Benefits | Best Brain Exercise | Skipping increase Height | Jumping Jacks Benefits | Free Hand Exercise Benefits | High Knees Exercise Benefits
Top Search Terms Fitness
Trapezitis meaning | Does Mango cause Pimples | Benefits of Khechari Mudra | How to do Crunches at Home | Benefits of Supta Vajrasana | Benefits of doing Shirshasana | Apan Vayu Mudra Blood Pressure | Prithvi Mudra for Hair Growth | Vakrasana Steps, Benefits and Precautions | Mandukasana Benefits and Precautions | How to use Castor Oil for Irregular Periods