Most people have a fascination for six-pack abs but to get that there are many different muscle groups that need to be trained. Obliques are one of the important parts of the core and help in making for stronger abs. Oblique exercises engage more than just the side abs but also help in making you stronger overall.
What are the Oblique Muscles?
Obliques are muscles that are on the sides of the upper body. It is useful to twist and turn the body on both sides. There are two sets of obliques; internal and external and each of these are useful in side-by-side movements and while twisting. It is also the place where the love handles develop. Oblique exercises are done to eradicate this fat accumulation.
What are the Oblique Exercises?
For a strong core, exercises to reduce belly fat is not just enough. There are crucial areas like the obliques which need to be toned too. Oblique exercises not only tone the midsection they also help in all the daily activities like walking, picking up the grocery bags to doing cardio. The best part is that these oblique exercises can be done at home. It can be done as part of the core routine or focused oblique exercises can be done.
Top 8 Oblique Exercises
- Side Planks
This is a common exercise in all oblique workouts as the focus is on the obliques and the sides of the body including the shoulders, hips, and core. Steps
- Lie on your side to do these Oblique Exercises with the feet on top of each other. Place the bottom forearm below your shoulder.
- Raise your hips from the floor engaging the core. Make sure your body from head to toe is in a straight line. Hold this position for 30 seconds.
- Repeat this side workout on the other side.
Reps: Do these external oblique exercises for a maximum of 10 to 15 reps holding for 30 seconds. Benefits: This is one of the best side abs exercises as it works on all three muscle groups at once. It also helps in improving body balance, strengthens the core, and prevents back injury.
This is one of the oblique exercises that work on the abs too and hence included in the side workout. Steps
- Lie on the floor on your back.
- Lift the legs up in the air, heels should be over hips and arms on the sides.
- Lift the hips off the mat and point toes towards the ceiling. The knees should face your right shoulder.
- Repeat the same on the other side.
Reps: Complete as many repetitions of these Oblique Exercises as possible in 1 minute. Benefits: It is part of the side abs workout as it targets the sides as well as the hips, lower back, and core. It also improves shoulder stability.
- Sit-Ups to Twist
This is the best oblique exercise and is part of all oblique workouts. Steps
- Lie on the floor on your back with knees slightly bent.
- Place the feet flat on the floor and place your hands on the temple.
- Lift your torso and bend to the right, so that the left below touches the right knee.
- Get back to the start position and repeat on the other side.
Reps: Do these side abs exercises as many repetitions as possible in 1 minute.Benefits: There are many benefits to these side abs exercises. It improves muscle mass, improves flexibility, core strength, improves posture, and also reduces the risk of pain and injury.
- Cross-Body Mountain Climber
It is another of the oblique exercises that are part of all oblique workouts. Steps
- Start off in a plank position. Place the shoulders over the wrists and the legs straight behind.
- Bring your left knee to the right elbow and return to the plank position.
- Repeat the same on the other side. Ensure that only one foot is on the ground.
Reps: This is among the oblique exercises without equipment and this can be done as many reps as possible for 1 minute.Benefits: This is a full-body exercise and is not only part of a side workout but also helps to increase stamina. It works on glutes, legs, shoulders, and triceps. It also strengthens the entire core.
- Russian Twists
It is a great side abs workout and should be part of your core workout too. Steps
- Sit on the floor with your legs in front and knees slightly bent.
- Place the heels on the floor and keep your back at 45 degrees to the floor.
- Hold a water bottle with both your hands and place it close to your torso.
- With your back straight, twist holding the bottle to the left and right.
Reps: Do as many repetitions of this oblique workout at home as possible in 60 seconds. Benefits: The Russian twist is an effective way to tone the whole body. It tones the hips, shoulders, and core. It is especially useful for athletes as it allows quick change of movements.
- Rainbow Plank
This is one of the best oblique exercises which also helps to get a tight core.Steps
- Start in a plank position placing the shoulders over the twists.
- The navel should be drawn to the spine. Dip the hips on one side say the left side and in a low arc move it to the right side.
- Repeat the same on the other side to make a single rep.
Reps: Complete as many repetitions as possible in 60 seconds. Benefits: It helps to strengthen the core, enhances metabolism, reduces back and spine injury, and improves coordination.
One of the simple side abs workout exercises which work on the core.Steps
- Stand with feet apart, hold a filled water bottle in both hands.
- Extend the arms in front of the left leg with arms extended and knees bent slightly.
- Rotate on your left foot and twist your body and swing the weight across to the right.
- The action is similar to chopping wood. Repeat the same on the other side.
Reps: Do this 10 to 15 reps on each side. Benefits: It not only targets the obliques but also the quads and the glutes.
- Side V Ups
It is part of the complete oblique workouts as it works on all abs muscles.Steps
- Start by lying on the floor. The right glute and the right arm should be at 45 degrees from the body.
- Lift the legs in the air with the left arm extended overhead.
- Now push the right palm to the floor and touch the legs using the left arm. The body should form a V shape.
- Lower back to the start and repeat on the other side.
Reps: Do as many reps as possible in 60 seconds. Benefits: It improves the core and also the balance.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
konasana | jnanayoga | siddhasana posture | anulom vilom | acute trapezitis | salabhasana benefits | yoganidrasana video | hatha yoga poses | virasana hero pose | peace and meditation | revolving triangle pose | yoga benefits spiritual | yoga to reduce buttocks | benefits of locust pose | definition of naukasana | meaning of dhanurasana | baddha padmasana steps |mudra for breathing problem | best yoga for flat tummy | intense side stretch pose | supta vajrasana yoga pose | uttanpadasana yoga pose |garudasana is also known as |
Top Search Terms For Exercises
dumbbell pullover chest | genu valgum exercise | freehand exercises | hand fat reduce | hops exercise | Sumo Squat Form | side lunges benefits | types of split | boat exercise benefits | leg curl exercise | cable fly for lower chest | back exercises with dumbbell | chest exercises for men at gym | cardio to burn belly fat |
Top Search Terms Fitness
good food for beard growth | foods to lose weight | develop a reading habit | how to grow beard faster naturally | ardha chakrasana steps and benefits | scientific facts about meditation | how to do chakrasana easily | trikonasana information and benefits | raja yoga is the yoga of controlling our | chest and back workout at home | upper middle and lower chest workout | benefits of doing bicycle crunches | standing exercise to reduce belly fat | jumping jacks exercise benefits |