Plantar fasciitis is a condition that causes inflammation in the plantar fascia – a thick band of tissue connecting the heel to the toes. The condition usually happens due to injury or overuse.
People describe plantar fasciitis as a deep and stabbing pain in the heels. It is usually severe in the mornings or when someone keeps standing for long hours. Most runners and pregnant women suffer from plantar fasciitis as the extra weight pushes the ligament and leads to pain.
If you or any of your loved ones have been dealing with plantar fasciitis, they can try the stretching exercises mentioned in the article to get some relief. These exercises for planters fasciitis can also improve muscle strength and flexibility in the foot.
But before jumping straight to the plantar fascia stretching exercises, it is good to consult a doctor as well. Along with exercise, plantar fasciitis treatment from a doctor is also important to get quick relief.
Best Exercises For Plantar Fasciitis
- Calf Stretch
One of the easiest yet most effective stretching exercises for plantar fasciitis is a calf stretch. This plantar fasciitis exercise can loosen the calf muscles and prevent further pain in the legs. The stretch also helps in strengthening legs to prevent any injury or strain.
Here is how you can do this home workout:
- Stand straight or use a wall for support.
- Now, straight the affected leg’s knee while bending the other knee in front.
- Make sure that you do not raise the heels and the feet are flat on the ground.
- Hold this stretch for at least 10 seconds.
- Repeat this plantar fasciitis exercise 2-3 times.
- Rolling Stretch
Whenever someone talks about foot exercises, the rolling stretch has to be on the list. It is also included in the list of physiotherapy exercises for plantar fasciitis. The stretch is performed by placing a round object under the foot and rolling it forwards and backward to loosen the foot muscles.
You can use any small object from a rolling pin to a gold ball. There are also specialized foam rollers available in stores for such foot exercises for plantar fasciitis. If that is not possible, you can also use a water bottle with frozen water in it. With this exercise plantar, fasciitis treatment becomes even better since cold temperature reduces inflammation.
If you have plantar fasciitis, physical exercise using a rolling object or a rolling stretch can be done by following the below-mentioned steps:
- Sit straight on a chair with your feet on the floor.
- Place a ball or any other rolling object under your foot.
- Roll it back and forward for at least 2 minutes.
- Seated Foot Stretch
Another one of the best foot exercises for plantar fasciitis, seated foot stretch focuses on relieving muscle tightness in the plantar fascia. You can easily do this plantar fasciitis exercise at home or even at the office.
To do this plantar fasciitis exercise, you have to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Sit on a chair comfortably and put the affected heel on the opposite leg.
- Now try to pull the toes towards the shin so as to create some tension in the arch of the foot. As you do this, place the other hand at the bottom of the affected foot to feel the tension.
- Hold this stretch for at least 10 seconds.
- Repeat 2-3 times.
- Towel Curls
Plantar fascia stretching exercises can also be done using simple objects such as a towel and when you do that, it is known as towel curls. By curling a hand towel with toes, you can stretch your muscles and find relief from pain. Most people perform such plantar fasciitis treatment exercises in the morning before walking or doing any other task.
For plantar fasciitis, physical exercise with a towel can do done by performing the following steps:
- Sit on a chair and plant your feet on the floor.
- Now, hold the end of a small towel or a washcloth in front and grasp its center with the toes.
- Curl the towel towards the heels and then relax.
- Repeat this 5 times.
- Marble Pickups
As kids, you might have played with marbles but not many people would have thought of using marbles for plantar fasciitis physiotherapy treatment. It is believed that picking marbles with toes helps in flexing and stretching the foot muscles. And this again makes it one of the best exercises for plantar fasciitis.
Here is how you can do this simple plantar fasciitis exercise:
- Sit on a chair with feet flat on the floor.
- Now, place a few marbles on the floor and try to pick one marble at a time by curling your toes.
- Pick at least 20 marbles.
Plantar Fasciitis: Exercises To Avoid
When a person is suffering from plantar fasciitis, they should also not just focus on plantar fasciitis treatment exercises but should also learn which exercises are not good for the condition and can worsen the pain. Some of the plantar fasciitis exercises to avoid are:
- Sports like soccer or basketball
- Cardio dancing
Safety Considerations And Tips For Plantar Fasciitis Physiotherapy Treatment
For plantar fasciitis, physical therapy exercises should be done while keeping a few tips and safety considerations in mind. These include:
- Along with performing stretching exercises for plantar fasciitis, you can also use ice therapy or follow the RICE method to get more relief.
- If you notice any more pain while performing physiotherapy exercises for plantar fasciitis, stop it and talk to your doctor about it.
- Do not overstretch your muscles as it can cause even more pain.
- If the pain is too severe, it is always best to consult a doctor instead of just trying different plantar fasciitis strengthening exercises. They can recommend other plantar fasciitis physical therapy exercises or use medications to alleviate the condition.
To Sum Up
Knowing about the exercises for planters fasciitis is not just helpful in treating the condition but also helps in the prevention of any potential pain or injury that may happen in the tissue. Plantar fasciitis strengthening exercises make sure that your ligament gets stronger and you can easily perform activities such as running without getting injured. So, stay on the safer side and try any of the plantar fasciitis exercises every day.
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Hero Pose | Mayurasan | Gomukasana | Naukasana Yoga | About Bakasana | Shambhavi Kriya | What Is Khechari Mudra | Pranayama Steps | Vakrasana Steps | About Parvatasana | Padahastasana Steps | Balasana Procedure | Ardha Shalabhasana | Image of Yoni Mudra | Apaan Vaayu Mudra | How to Do Headstand | Gyan Mudra Meaning | Benefits of Pran Mudra | Supta Vajrasana Precautions | Steps of Uttanasana |Importance of Vajrasana | Namaskar Mudra Benefits | Mudra for Gastric Problem
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Camel Exercise | Sumo Dead Lift | Bar Dips Benefits | Seated Cable Row | What Is Air Squats | Creativity Exercises | Dragon Flag Benefits | Biceps Barbell Curl | Leg Curl Exercise Benefits | High Knees Workout | Plank Exercise Benefits | Glute Kickback Benefits | Pullover Exercise Benefits | Bent Over Back Exercise | Crunches Exercise at Home | Skipping Benefits Height | Cable Fly for Upper Chest
Top Search Terms Fitness
Exercise for Trapezitis | Mango Causes Acne | Ashwini Mudra Side Effects | Benefits of Uttana Mandukasana | Castor Oil for Irregular Periods | Benefits of Prithvi Mudra for Hair | Uttanpadasana Benefits and Precautions | Chaturanga Dandasana for Beginners | Benefits Best Free Hand Exercise | Are Jumping Jacks Good for Losing Weight