So, what is positivity?
Positive thinking or the power of positivity are phrases that we often hear about. But what exactly is positive thinking? Positivity goes much beyond having a smile on your face or being cheerful. Staying positive means that you have the ability to concentrate on the brighter and better side of life and believe in the fact that things will have positive outcomes. It also means approaching problems with a solution-oriented mindset and seeing the better in others and yourself. The power of positive thinking allows you to be happy when you have less, not being bowed down with adversities instead of facing them head-on, lifting up others, and being thankful for what you have.
Surprising reasons why we don't feel positive and happy
The chaotic times that we live where we consume too much information and are simultaneously trying to manage a relentless pace of personal and professional life. Add to this our daily experiences that may involve stressful incidents, having to deal with difficult emotions, trauma, relationship issues, and much more. All of this ends up making us feel anxious, stressed, and overwhelmed. We also don't have positivity in life when:
- When you have any physiological issues that hang heavy on your mental disposition.
- You don't live in the present, overthink, and your thoughts constantly drift.
- You keep comparing yourself to others.
- You let your emotions override your actions.
- When you have a negative body image i.e. are ashamed of your body weight, etc.
How does life positivity help us?
When we are told to be positive there are good reasons that are back by science that make it important to have a positive outlook on life. Several studies say that learning how to increase positive energy can actually save your life! A positive mindset has so many benefits for our mind and body that it can be easily said that positive thinking is the one thing that carries you through life. Here are some benefits of having a positive outlook in life:
- People with positive thinking are said to be affected by the negative impact of stress and anxiety-like heartburn, high blood pressure, gastrointestinal issues, etc.
- Positivity in life can help you sail through serious treatments and cope with major ailments like heart diseases, cancer, etc.
- Constant negativity and feelings of gloom may pave the way for chronic stress, anxiety, and even depression if left unchecked.
- Positive thinking has a direct impact on your immune system, which in turn helps you recover faster from common infections.
- Staying positive can help us be present more in the â€˜now. This helps to have a more open mindset that is more constructive and helps us learn new skills and become more productive.
- The power of positive thinking has a direct impact on your interpersonal relationships. It helps in relationship healing by allowing you to see the best in others and rising above the petty.
- A great power of positivity advantage is that you learn self-acceptance and love.
- Taking active steps in learning how to increase positive energy and all these benefits have a great impact on your overall quality of life and longevity.
Is positivity inherent or can I learn how to be positive?
Now that we know the super benefits of saying yes to life through the power of positive thinking, it's time to learn how to increase positive energy through small yet impactful steps like these:
- The first step is to know yourself. Asking yourself whether you have a positive or a negative disposition will lay the way ahead for taking appropriate and relevant steps to get a positive mindset.
- Practicing mindfulness i.e. being in the present moment and being aware of your surroundings and feelings helps in erasing the negativity from the past and the anxiety about the future.
- One of the best ways to be positive is to surround yourself with positive people, who could be your colleagues, friends, mentors, etc. People who have positive sayings, who buck you up, and are optimists help in changing your mindset and improving your self-esteem.
- One of the most effective ways to be positive is to practice positive self-talk. If you have a negative self-opinion about yourself or constantly berate yourself, be calm and non-judgemental and gently try to remove these thoughts.
- Start every day with something positive. These could be simple and enjoyable tools like music for meditation, a few pages of your favorite book, reading some positive sayings, or even a great song.
- One of the most effective ways to learn how to improve positive thinking is to see the lighter side of life. Finding humor even in the darkest and most serious situations can help you sail through a trying situation positively.
- A great way to learn how to increase positive energy is to learn from your failures. Take a lesson from every setback and use this learning to successfully tackle tricky situations.