Just as eating healthy is of prime importance, so is staying fit. Staying fit is achieved through regular exercise and a healthy diet. However, with modern lives nowhere near this equilibrium, it is time to revamp the exercise list with new ones.
What do learning different types of pushup exercises at home mean?
It just means enlisting those strength training push-ups that can be done at the comfort of your home.
What is a push-up exercise?
A push-up or a press-up is "a common strength training exercise performed in a prone position, lying horizontal and face down, raising and lowering the body using the arms."Calisthenics exercises such as the push-up workout is known for their profound effects on the chest, arms and shoulders. Due to the support required from other muscles a wider range of muscles are integrated into the exercise. Mastering a perfect push-up workout is neither a herculean task nor an easy one! With the right conviction and input, you can ace it like a fitness trainer.
Why is pushup exercise important?
Pushup exercise is relevant as long as there is ground and apart from the standard ones you can learn different types of pushup exercise at the comfort of your homes as well. Not all have expertise when it comes to exercise, so practicing the right set is also vital for sustained benefits.
What are the different types of pushup exercise at home?
Based on beginner, intermediate and advanced levels there are different types of pushup exercise one can learn.Beginner
- Off a table
Gradual progress from wall push ups to table push ups is what this pushup exercise is.
- Modified push up
This is identical to a regular pushup exercise but performed on your hands and knees, with your feet rising off the floor as your upper body lowers. It takes a lot of the work away from your abs and legs, so its a great way to practice for the real thing.
Kudos for having mastered the standard pushup exercise with rigorous practice.Intermediate
- Negative (eccentric) pushup
Looking to make the pushup workout more challenging? Then the negative pushup exercise is apt. Performed by controlling the tempo of repetition and slowing down the lowering phase it intensifies the pushup exercise session. Begin in your plank position. Start to bend the elbows and slowly lower the chest towards the floor, keeping control as you descend. If you can't perform a full push up, use your knees, while keeping a hollow body, to push back up to the starting position.
- Decline push ups
Place the lower body on an elevating surface such as a bench or stairs and then do the regular routine. This focuses on the lower core and improves its strength considerably.
- Plyo push up
In simple words, a pushup exercise with a jumping element is what the plyo push-up is. This challenging and explosive pushup exercise aims to improve cardiovascular health significantly. This exercise is best suited for individuals with well-developed upper-body strength.
- Explosive with a clap
Leave the floor, clap your hands and then return. As challenging as it sounds, this pushup exercise boosts the energy rush and improves stability.
- Hands close pushup
A simple variation makes you feel the burn in new places. Set up with your hands directly under your chest muscles and perform a pushup with this narrow stance. Theres more tricep muscle involved in this variation when compared to a standard pushup.
Different types of pushup exercise at home to fit in your day to day life
- Off the wall
These are basically wall push-ups which greatly reduces the amount of weight your muscles have to support.
Just to make things tougher, from placing the palm on the floor make it to a knuckle and do the pushup exercise.
- Lateral pushup walk
Utilize that extra space at home to gain mastery at doing the pushup exercise. Perform a pushup then walk your hands and feet one step to the right. After you take a step to the right, perform another pushup, then take a step back to the left and repeat.
What are the benefits of pushup exercise?
- Builds upper body strength
- Enhance cardiovascular system
- Increase functional strength via full body activation
- Muscle stretching for health and vitality
- Improves posture
- Strengthens triceps and biceps, pectoral muscles, shoulders and lats
- Prevent lower back injuries
- Increase testosterone and reduce osteoporosis development
- Strengthen the lower back and core by engaging the abdominal muscles.
If sculpted arms and strengthened core is what you envision, think no further as the 30 days push-up challenge guarantees you that! It is also a perfect workout for teenagers to kick start their journey of staying fit.
Disadvantages of pushup exercise
- Reaching a fitness plateau
- Back pain
- Wrist pain
- Elbow injury
Dos and dont's of pushup exercise
- The hands must be slightly wider than shoulder width apart.
- Feet must be positioned in a comfortable manner. Wider apart the feet, the more stable your pushup will be.
- The body must be in a one straight line.
- Be remindful to engage the core.
- The chin should be the first part of the head that touches the floor, not the nose.
- The arms must be straight and supporting your weight when at the top of the pushup.
- Perform partial reps in a full pushup position.
- Move as a single, solid entity.
- Belly or hips must not be dropped at any cost.
- Limited motion while doing a standard push up is not recommended.
- Experimenting with other variations of pushups without proper strength and endurance to do them does more harm than good. It is better to start on easy variations first and do them properly.
- Do not forget to inhale and exhale in an attempt to race the clock. Doing slow push ups with regular breathing is far more beneficial than doing 100 reps in a jiffy.
What to eat after push up exercise?
A protein shake or a complete meal within 1-2 hours of post workout will help to build lean muscles and regain energy.
Is it effective to do pushups at home?
Push Ups are an effective exercise to build arms and chest at home even without the gym or any equipment.
What to do post pushup exercise?
Beginners can take rest for 10-15 minutes while experts can engage in other strength training exercises.
What is the right age to do pushup exercise at home?
Adolescents of the age 12-13 to adults up to 60 years can do push up provided the form is intact.
What are the equipment and accessories required for doing pushup exercise at home?
Exercise mat, comfortable yet fitting clothes along with a timer is sufficient to get started.Use these tips to start doing push-up exercises at home and increase your fitness level.