For fluid upper body movement, strong arms are very important. And mostly, your triceps are the weight lifters of your day to day movements.
The triceps are the muscles along the back of your upper arm that helps you in extending your elbow and straightening your arm. Any time you push something, whether it is a barbell, a stroller, a door, or a cart, you’re using your triceps. Your triceps help you do everything, from pushing yourself up off the floor to placing an object on the higher shelf.
Tricep strength plays an important part in your fitness routine. Whether you want to run or you want to lift heavier weights while strength training, the strength of your triceps is an important factor in it. Tricep strength can help with the stability and strength of your movements and increase the overall force output or power potential that one may have.
As the name suggests, the triceps have three different heads, namely the long head, the lateral head, and the medial head. During triceps exercises using dumbbells, all these three heads contract. However, different dumbbell workout for triceps may put more emphasis on different parts of the triceps.
There are plenty of ways and exercises to train your triceps during a workout at home. If you’re looking to level up your fitness game and get into some tricep training, it is a good idea to incorporate a dumbbell workout for triceps into your workout. Dumbbell exercises for triceps are great to not just increase the muscle mass but also the strength and size of the triceps.
Here is a list of a few dumbbell exercises for triceps that’ll make you feel the burn at the back of those arms.
- Bent-Over Dumbbell Triceps Kickback: This dumbbell tricep workout is an isolation move from a bent-over position. It is one of the best dumbbell tricep exercises to increase the size and strength of the triceps.
- Stand tall, bend your knee forward and hinge forward at the hips.
- Make sure to keep your core tight and your back flat.
- Now take one dumbbell in each hand and hold your arms at your sides, palms facing each other.
- Bend at the elbows to bring your forearms parallel to the ground. Keep your elbows tight by your rib cage.
- Kick the weight back to completely straighten the arms.
- Bend your arms to return to the start. This is one rep.
- Close Grip Dumbbell Chest Press: This is one of the best dumbbell tricep exercises that you can do to work both the tricep and the chest muscles. This dumbbell tricep workout is a popular variation of the dumbbell bench press and puts more emphasis on the triceps.
- Lie down with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand with the palms facing each other, arms on the ground by your sides
- Keep your elbows bent and touching the ground so that the forearms and dumbbells are in the air.
- Now press the weights towards the ceiling, straightening the elbows completely, and keeping the palms facing each other. Pause for a second.
- Slowly bend your elbows and lower them back on the floor. This is one rep.
- Dumbbell Skull Crusher: This triceps workout using dumbbells is also known as lying triceps extension. It is one of the most effective and best dumbbell workouts for triceps strength and size.
- Lie down on a bench or floor. If you’re on the floor, keep your knees bent. Hold one dumbbell in each hand.
- Extend your arms towards the ceiling.
- Keeping your elbows and upper arms extremely steady, bend at your elbows and slowly lower the dumbbells at a 90-degree angle.
- Slowly extend your arms and return to the starting position. This is one rep.
- Dumbbell Overhead Tricep Extension: Dumbbell overhead tricep extension is another one of the best dumbbell workouts for triceps. This triceps workout using dumbbells is a relatively simple yet effective exercise for developing the triceps. It can be done both standing or seated.
- Sit down or stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- Hold the dumbbells overhead in a neutral grip with arms straight. Keep your upper arms by your ears and the dumbbells touching.
- Try to keep your upper arms as steady and immobile as possible in order to better isolate the triceps.
- Slowly bend your elbows, lowering the weights behind your head.
- Then, push the weight back to starting position. This is one rep.
- Dumbbell Overhead Shoulder Press: Another great triceps exercise using dumbbells is the dumbbell overhead shoulder press. Working the triceps with dumbell overhead shoulder press will increase the muscle mass as well as the strength of the triceps.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart. Hold one dumbbell in each hand at your shoulders, with your elbows bent and your palms facing out front.
- Now press the dumbbells overhead, straightening your elbows completely.
- Make sure to keep your hips tucked and core engaged to avoid arching the lower back as you lift the arms.
- Slowly bend your elbows to bring the elbows back down by your shoulders. This is one rep.
All of these above-mentioned dumbbell exercises for triceps can also make for great weight loss exercise. Doing these dumbbell exercises for triceps two to three times a week will give you visible results. Alternatively, you can tailor your dumbbell tricep exercises routine as per your fitness goals and preferences. Do not forget to warm up before and stretch after doing dumbbell tricep exercises. Building strong triceps using dumbbells can stabilize the shoulder joint and is very important for daily activities and sports.
When doing dumbbell exercises for triceps, always remember to select dumbbell weights that you are comfortable working with. Do not go on full-on beast mode on your triceps with dumbell on the first day itself. Start slow and gradually build yourself with dumbbell exercises for triceps. Do not forget to flex!