What causes knee pain and weakness?
Being one of the most used joints in your body, your knees get subjected to overwork and stress. Not just this, your knees also support your entire body weight.
This is the reason why this, the largest and the most complex joint, often gets ridden with pain and weakness. Other reasons for this include:
- Injury, strain, or sprains
- Damaged or torn cartilage and ligaments
- Lack of exercise
- Repeated knee movements
What are exercises for the knee?
One of the best ways to alleviate knee pain and weakness is to get yourself moving. Contrary to the common belief that movement will damage your knees further, keeping them agile reduces pain and stiffness significantly.
This is where exercises for knee come in. These exercises are excellent lower body workout that is aimed at making the muscles around your knees stronger without stressing your knee joints.
Which are some of the best exercises for knee?
Here are some of the best exercises for knee that you can include in your workout regime:
- Half squats: One of the best knee exercises for arthritis, this is an excellent exercise to improve your range of motion.
- Stand straight with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Stretch your arms in the front and gently bend your knees to lower yourself into a half-sitting position.
- Do this while keeping your chest up and back neutral.
- Hold the pose for 10-15 seconds and return to the starting position.
- Leg stretch: This is an effective knee bending exercise that strengthens your quadriceps alleviating knee pain. This also works as a great exercise for stiff knees.
- Sit on the floor comfortably with your legs stretched out.
- Stabilise your body by keeping your hands on either side of your hips. Ensure that your back is straight throughout the movement.
- Gently bend one knee until you feel a stretch.
- Hold the pose for 10-12 seconds and repeat on the other side.
- Hamstring stretch: One of the most effective stretch exercises for knees, this activates the muscles on the back of your thighs.
- Lie on the floor comfortably with both knees bent.
- Gently lift one leg and bring the bent knee back to your chest.
- Interlace your hands behind your thighs (not around your knees) and stretch your leg towards the sky.
- Hold for 25-30 seconds and return to the starting position.
- Repeat this knee stretching exercise on the other side.
- Clamshells: One of the best exercises for knee pain, this alleviates knee pain and stiffness.
- Lie comfortably on your side. Support your neck using a pillow.
- Bend your knees towards your chest while keeping your back straight.
- Lift your upper knee towards the ceiling while keeping your hips straight.
- Pause for a couple of seconds and lower the knee to get into the starting position.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Bridging: One of the best knee exercises for seniors, it strengthens your knees and reduces pain.
- Lay comfortably on your back and bend your knees so that your feet are flat on the floor.
- Keep your knees and feet in a single line and arms by your side.
- Tighten your hip muscles and lift the hips towards the sky.
- Pause for 10-20 seconds and return to the starting position of this knee bending exercise.
- Quadruped hydrant: One of the most effective knee physical therapy exercises, it makes your knee joints flexible.
- Get on all fours and draw your belly button towards your spine.
- Engage your core muscles and lift one leg out to the side.
- Remember not to rotate your spine.
- Pause for 5-10 seconds and lower your knee.
- Repeat this knee physical therapy exercise on the other side.
- Hip abduction: One of the best knee exercises for knee pain, it helps cure knee pain immediately. Not just this, it is also amongst the most effective locked knee exercises.
- Lie on your side and keep a pillow under your head for support.
- Straighten your top knee and tighten your thigh muscles.
- Gently lift your leg towards the ceiling up till the line of your body.
- Pause for 10-15 seconds and lower to the starting position.
- Repeat this locked knee exercise on the other side.
What are the benefits of exercises for knees?
Whether you are doing knee extension exercises or knee pain relief exercises, all of them have amazing benefits for your knees.
Here are some of the best exercises for knees benefits:
- One of the best exercise for arthritic knees benefits is that it helps maintain and increase your bone mass. This is essential to protect your knees and support your muscles.
- Knee exercises for seniors help in keeping them active and improving their quality of life.
- The best exercise for sore knees benefit is that it reduces the damage caused due to overuse of the knee joint.
- Knee stretching exercises not just help your knees but also improve your energy levels and alleviate your mood.
- One of the best benefits of knee exercises for arthritis is that they not help manage the discomforting symptoms of this condition but also lower stress and anxiety related to it.
- One of the best exercises for bad knees to lose weight benefit is that by keeping you at your optimum weight, they reduce the pressure on your knees.
- Knee pain relief exercises don’t require much of a set-up. You just need a clean and clutter-free space and can easily include these exercises for knee in your routine of home workouts.
How to do exercises for knees safely?
Here are some things to keep in mind while doing exercises for stiff knees:
- Never overstretch yourself while doing knee exercises at home.
- If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, consult your doctor before doing stretch exercises for knees.
A great way to keep gaining the benefits of the best knee exercises for knee pain is to be consistent with your practice. Never decrease your activity levels or intensity suddenly. Keeping yourself motivated and challenged through the variations of knee extension exercises also helps a great deal
Top Search Terms For Yoga
Shambhavi Mahamudra | How To Do Ashwini Mudra | Yoni Mudra Side Effects | Prithvi Mudra For Hair Growth | Vayu Mudra For Gas | Bhujangasana | Khechari Mudra Steps | Best Brain Exercises | Side Plank | Prana Vayu Mudra | Mudra For Anxiety | Mayurasana Steps | Balasana Steps | Makarasana Steps | Uttanasana Procedure | Vajrasana Strengthens | Yoga Mudrasana | Balayam Yoga Side Effects | Scorpion Position | Padmasana Steps | Yoga For Blood Circulation In Legs | Yin Yoga | Kriya Yoga Poses | Mantra Meditation Benefits
Top Search Terms For Exercises
Chiseled Body Workout | Hrithik Roshan Body Building Exercise | Benefits Of Superman Exercise | Sumo Deadlifts | Air Squat Exercise | Windshield Wiper Exercise | Glute Kickback Exercise | Box Jumps Benefits | Barbell Walking Lunges | Will Skipping Increase Height | Dragon Flag Abs | Types Of Pranayama With Pictures | Dumbbell Exercises For Beginners | Benefits Of Archer Push Ups
Search Terms For Fitness
Benefits Of Parvatasana | Bakasana Information In English | How Does Yoga Nidra Help Decrease Stress And Anxiety | Benefits Of Padahastasana | Vakrasana Benefits And Precautions | Mandukasana Benefits And Precautions | Benefits Of Gomukhasana | Dandasana Benefits | Yoga To Reduce Stress And Anger | Apan Vayu Mudra For Anxiety | Halasana Benefits | Benefits Of Vipassana Meditation