What is Tardive dyskinesia?A side effect that is caused by certain neuroleptic drugs is known as Tardive dyskinesia. It causes involuntary or uncontrolled movements like grimacing, twitching and thrusting. What these drugs essentially do is block the dopamine receptors in the brain which causes this to happen. This condition can be permanent in nature however with treatment patients show progression. There different common types of Tardive dyskinesia that experts essentially know of are:
- Parkinson’s dyskinesia or levodopa-induced dyskinesia
- Spasmodic torticollis
- Stereotypies and tics
Tardive dyskinesia Symptoms There are quite a few Tardive dyskinesia symptoms that individuals must know about. It must be noted that the symptoms of this condition depend upon the severity of the condition that the individual has been affected by. We have listed some of the most common symptoms of this particular type of dyskinesia below for your reference and knowledge:
- Jerking movements in the face, lips, tongue and jaw
- Frequent blinking
- Puckering or smacking of the lips
- Sticking the tongue out
- Uncontrolled movement in the arms, legs, toes and fingers
- Thrusting of the pelvis
- Side-to-side movement of the trunk
Sometimes these symptoms can become so extreme that they tend to interfere with the individual’s day to day life. Who is at Risk? There are various Tardive dyskinesia risk factors as it can happen to anyone due to multiple reasons. Because of this it becomes difficult to point out who is at a risk for it and who is not. However, experts have been able to identify certain possible risk factors related to this. We have mentioned them below for your reference and understanding of the same:
- Patients who have been treated for schizophrenia
- Someone who has undergone treatment for bipolar disorder
- An individual who has got treatment for schizoaffective disorder
- People who are senior citizens and above 60.
Tardive dyskinesia Causes There are many factors that lead to Tardive dyskinesia causes which have been identified by health experts. We have discussed below for your understanding some of these causes in details:
- This condition is said to be a side effect for antipsychotic or neuroleptic drugs
- Caused due to drugs that are given to treat conditions like bipolar disorder and schizophrenia
- Individuals who take these above-mentioned drugs for an extended period of time.
- Medication and drugs such as Haldol, permitil, antidepressant drugs, antiseizure drugs and few others.
These are some common causes that are known to cause this condition. How is Tardive dyskinesia diagnosed? For Tardive dyskinesia diagnosis, a Tardive dyskinesia doctor will need to perform a certain number of Tardive dyskinesia tests as there is no one test to understand what is causing this to happen. As mentioned, the doctor may then have to conduct multiple tests to get to the root cause of the problem because the symptoms of this condition take time to appear:
- Before doing any sort of diagnosis the doctor will first understand your medical history and study all the medications that you have been taking.
- He will then conduct a physical exam to measure your movement abilities. He will in all likelihood use a scale known as the Abnormal Involuntary Movement Scale (AIMS).
How is Tardive dyskinesia treated? There are different methods for Tardive dyskinesia treatment. The main goal behind the treatment is to help prevent it entirely. We have mentioned in brief the process of treatment:
- The doctor will do regular evaluations to monitor your movements using a series of movement measures
- Doctors prescribe some medicine for tardive dyskinesia.
- home remedies like melatonin or ginkgo biloba.
Cure.Fit, your friendly health care provider offering a variety of services for various health conditions. They some of the best neurologist from all over India to attend to any and all medical requirements. Their services are listed on their app and website. You should consider them if you’ve been looking for a good tardive dyskinesia cure.How can Tardive dyskinesia be prevented? Prevention of Tardive dyskinesia can be done by keeping some simple measures in mind. These can be done easily in consultation with your doctor. Some of these have been mentioned below for your understanding and consideration:
- Avoid doing any treatment for other conditions through metoclopramide and antipsychotic drugs
- Always consult your doctor before you start any kind of medication and do your own research about the side effects and only then include it in your routine
- Follow the home remedies prescribed by your doctor as this will slow down the effects then.