What is a Sleeping Disorder?Sleeping disorder is a group of conditions that affects the quality of sleep regularly. Depending on the type of disorder people may find difficulty in falling asleep or staying asleep that can lead to extreme tiredness throughout the day affecting your personal and professional life. Different types of sleeping disorders that are commonly seen are listed here:
- Insomnia – It is a difficulty in falling asleep and staying asleep throughout the night.
- Sleep apnea – Abnormal breathing patterns while asleep that can affect the quality of sleep.
- Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) – It’s a sleep movement disorder in which there is an urge to move legs while sleeping that causes uncomfortable feelings.
- Narcolepsy – It is a condition in which you feel sleepy throughout the day and falls asleep suddenly during the day while you are engaged in some works.
Sleep Disorder SymptomsThe signs and symptoms vary depending on what type of sleep disorder you are suffering from. Here are some common sleep disorder symptoms:
- Difficulty to get quality sleep
- Extreme tiredness during the day
- An intense need to take a nap in the daytime.
- Unusual breathing patterns
- Unusual movement while sleeping
- Erratic sleep and wake up schedule
- Impaired work performance
- Lack of concentration
- Unusual weight gain
Who is at Risk?Sleep disorders are commonly seen in children and teenagers. However, middle-aged women who have a background of anxiety and depression are likely to suffer from insomnia. Middle-aged men are vulnerable to sleep apnea. Besides that obesity, stress, lack of exercise, and not following a sleep schedule and maintaining sleep hygiene are some of the reasons for sleeping disorder that can put you at risk.Sleeping Disorder CausesIn most cases, a sleeping disorder is caused by underlying health conditions. Other common sleeping disorder causes are:
- Allergies and respiratory issues
- Nocturia or frequent urination
- Hormonal imbalance and urinary tract disorders
- Chronic pain as in arthritis, headache, lower back pain, etc that makes it hard to fall asleep.
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Inflammatory bowel diseases
- Stress and anxiety
How is a Sleeping Disorder Diagnosed?A sleeping disorder doctor will first perform a physical examination of the patient followed by medical history and signs and symptoms assessment that may help in sleeping disorder diagnosis to find the exact causes of the condition. The doctor may also suggest the following tests:
- Multiple Sleep Latency Test (MSLT) – It is a daytime napping study that helps to diagnose narcolepsy.
- Electroencephalogram (EEG) – This will detect the potential problems in the brain associated with a sleeping disorder.
- Polysomnography (PSG) – A laboratory sleep study that will detect oxygen levels, body movements, and brain waves that may disrupt sleep.
All these tests will help in determining the appropriate course of sleeping disorder treatment.How is Sleeping Disorder Treated?The treatment line for the sleeping disorder is determined by the type of condition and root cause of the problem. Usually, it will have a combination of lifestyle changes and medical treatments. Medical treatment will involve medicines for sleeping disorder that vary from allergy or cold medicines, sleeping pills, melatonin supplements, breathing device for those who have respiratory issues, medicines to control the underlying health conditions, dental guard for those who have the habit of grinding teeth, etc. In severe cases, surgery may be carried out in sleep apnea.Lifestyle changes may be suggested by the doctor to improve the quality of sleep. Managing stress, maintaining body weight or reducing body weight, reducing the intake of alcohol, quit smoking; etc will help in treating the sleeping disorder.For a sleeping disorder cure, it is advised to consult a psychiatrist. To find the best psychiatrist in your locality, you may just logon to Cure.fit website, one of the leading healthcare provider in India currently. You will find the efficient and experienced doctors in all the specialities under one roof. Their multi-city presence will make your search easier to find the specialist nearby to your location. Their operational procedures are very simple yet professional and most economical. Once you found the specialist, you can book an appointment by sending a WhatsApp message to the given number. The concerned person will check the doctor's availability and confirm your appointment. Meantime you can be prepared with all previous medical reports and test reports to ease the process. At Cure.fit you will be offered an effective and secured treatment and also, they will ensure your privacy at all stages of treatment.How can Sleeping Disorder be Prevented?The best method to prevent sleeping disorder is making healthy lifestyle changes that can improve the quality and quantity of sleep. It will involve the following changes:
- Eating a healthy and well-balanced diet rich in micronutrients and fiber.
- Practicing yoga, meditation, or breathing techniques to manage stress
- Following a regular sleep schedule and sleep hygiene
- Restricting the intake of caffeine especially in the late afternoons
- Eating early and light dinner
Besides these, religiously following the treatment plan will help in getting better sleep gradually.