What is Intracranial Aneurysm?A condition in which the weak spot that is there in your brain’s arterial wall bulges and gets filled with blood is known as intracranial aneurysm. It is also known as brain aneurysm or cerebral aneurysm. It is a potential life-threatening condition which can affect a person irrespective of their age. If the brain aneurysm bursts due to some reason then it can result in brain damage, stroke and even death if it is not treated at the earliest. Not all ruptures are fatal in nature. Intracranial Aneurysm Symptoms The thing about this condition is that it is extremely unpredictable in nature and might not show any symptoms till the time it does not rupture. However, one that is large in size or is ruptured will show some definitive symptoms and require immediate medical attention and care. The signs and symptoms of this condition vary on whether it is ruptured or not. The Intracranial Aneurysm symptoms which an individual should immediately get checked after has been listed for your reference and knowledge:
- When someone has blurred or double vision
- Experiencing dizziness
- A headache or some sort of pain above the eye which can range from mild to severe.
- Visual deficits
- Experiencing seizures
- Drooping eyelid
- Neck stiffness
Who is at Risk? There are different Intracranial Aneurysm risk factors that have been associated with this condition. We have mentioned them below for your understanding of the same:
- Someone who is of an older age and typically between 35 to 60 years old.
- A history of drug abuse specially with cocaine
- A head injury
- Someone with a history of alcohol abuse
- Having congenital problems such as ehlers-danlos syndrome which affects the arterial walls
- Cerebral arteriovenous malformation
- A coarctation
However, it must also be kept in mind it really differs from individual to individual and from situation to situation too. Intracranial Aneurysm Causes Intracranial Aneurysm causes as mentioned above happens when a person undergoes some events which encourages the rupture or development of an aneurysm in the brain. We have discussed below for your understanding some of triggers which are known to be the common cause behind intracranial aneurysm:
- Doing excessive exercise
- Sexual intercourse
- Excessive soda or coffee consumption
- Strain experienced during bowel movements
- Intense anger
- A Brain injury
Sometimes it develops during the course of a person’s lifetime. This is what experts and doctors have been able to identify about the possible causes behind this condition till now. How is Intracranial Aneurysm diagnosed? For Intracranial Aneurysm diagnosis, it may be difficult to diagnose till it does not rupture. However, there are certain tests that a doctor can use to help locate the aneurysm in individuals who have a family history of it, fall under the category of possible risk factors of this condition or have inherited health issues which are linked to or can lead to this deathly condition. Some of the various doctors that a doctor may conduct in order to better understand the condition are:
- CT scan and MRI scans to take pictures of the arteries and the brain tissues.
- Spinal tap by drawing fluid from the spine to check for signs of bleeding in brain.
How is Intracranial Aneurysm treated? Intracranial Aneurysm treatment varies depending on the size, severity and location of the aneurysm. It also depends on whether it is ruptured and leaking or not. There are some surgeries that a doctor may perform to treat it:
- Surgical clipping
- Endovascular coiling
Some medicines can be given by the doctor to help ease the pain being felt by the individual. Care.Fit is your friendly health care provider which offers a variety of services for various health conditions. They have the best neurologists from all over India to attend to all medical requirements. Their services are listed on their app and website. You should consider them if you are looking for a good Intracranial Aneurysm cure.How can Intracranial Aneurysm be prevented? Intracranial Aneurysm prevention is not always possible. But there are certain simple things that can be done to help prevent the same. Some of these have been mentioned below for your understanding and consideration:
- If you are a smoker then you need to quit smoking completely
- Maintain a diet that includes lots of fruits, vegetables, lean meat, whole grains and low-fat dairy products
- Ensure that you exercise regularly but do not do it in excess amounts. If you are feeling any uneasiness then you must stop immediately.
- Manage a high blood pressure or cholesterol